Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
yep, 32.5 ft lbs

attached is the TSB

EDIT: Steve, you beat me to it by seconds!
Yes - I beat you, and it isn't the first time. Seems we think a like. With that and all of the unsolicited promotion I give you guys - maybe it's time we sit down and talk about an FD Motorsports franchise for Canada - but then I'd only be running it to get deals on parts and work on cool cars - wait, that's probably why you started it in the first place.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
- but then I'd only be running it to get deals on parts and work on cool cars - wait, that's probably why you started it in the first place.
Bingo!
(seriously)
I take time off of my "day job" to do this job!

Darin and I will have a mtg tomorrow and discuss FDM representation in the Great White North
While we are working on a really sweet Ruf...
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

As far as torque goes, I am willing to bet that 95% of the people do not get their torque wrenches calibrated, and 25% of those wrenches are cheap ones that cannot be calibrated anyways. Between inaccurate wrenches and poor technique using the tools, unfortunately I do not think wet vs dry is something worth distinguishing.

I am hesitant to agree that all torque values provided by Porsche are wet because I do not know either way for a fact. Lots of their bolts are already coated and are explicitly to be torqued dry (such as caliper bolts), or are a combination (like 993 head fasteners - certain torque then degree swing to finish).

I think the rule of thumb is 25% difference between wet and dry, which can be quite a bit. I also think this can only be resolved by the technical guys in the factory that published the specifications. All the rest of us are just guessing.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Either way, thanks for the 32.5.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike J
As far as torque goes, I am willing to bet that 95% of the people do not get their torque wrenches calibrated, and 25% of those wrenches are cheap ones that cannot be calibrated anyways. Between inaccurate wrenches and poor technique using the tools, unfortunately I do not think wet vs dry is something worth distinguishing.

I am hesitant to agree that all torque values provided by Porsche are wet because I do not know either way for a fact. Lots of their bolts are already coated and are explicitly to be torqued dry (such as caliper bolts), or are a combination (like 993 head fasteners - certain torque then degree swing to finish).

I think the rule of thumb is 25% difference between wet and dry, which can be quite a bit. I also think this can only be resolved by the technical guys in the factory that published the specifications. All the rest of us are just guessing.

Cheers,

Mike
Good points, Mike.
And you're correct that there can be a huge difference between dry and wet plus the importance of calibration.

I need to clarify that I'm speaking more in terms of heavy Industrial experiences where "wet" torque applies to bolts and nuts that are exposed to vibration or stress. Vehicle suspension, brakes and the flywheel experience that as well, so, go by factory recommendation and make sure the wrench is calibrated.

Of course, tensil strenght and quality rating and thread pitch plays a role for correct torque values.

And when correct torque is critical, manufacturers will indicate the procedure and whether wet or dry. And like Mike says, some bolts have a coating from factory. I suggest that when in doubt, go by what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

For the critical torque specs we use this...Mark calibrated it with a couple of trout he caught last summer.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Steering Brace On But.....