Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Susension lowred (H&R coilover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
high rider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Susension lowred (H&R coilover)

I just lowered my new ride (993 C4 1995) and i'm very disapointed of the result; I always had lowered car with shock and springs and I was always very low but very happy about it even with my S4 that was pretty low and stiff.

But now I've purschased H&R coilovers and the ride suck big time: at first my sway bar was banging big time on my subframe so; changed the sway bar link kit; a bit better but when I hit relative big bumps it still hit pretty hard

What can I do or change?

I'm thinking or re-selling everything and go back to Bilstein/H&R or equivalent.

Anybody had these problems or anybody as a solution?

Regards,
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

What version are your coilovers and what is your ride height?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
high rider
Intermediate

H&R Street Performance Coil Overs

Web: http://www.essexdistributors.com/pro...ejsop5rda0dam0
Old 06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

You may have inadvertently lowered the car too much and run out of suspension travel. If you e-mail me a picture of your car, I can tell you if this is the problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

High Rider- Sorry to hear about your suspension issues. Keep us posted, I am in the market for coil overs and appreciate your feedback.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

"What can I do or change?" is a great question.

For starters, begin to think of what you are doing. And why. You wanted "to lower" without any regard to the end result? I believe that's exactly what happened. A cheaper and less destructive way would be to print a sticker with word "coilovers" and attach it to the dash.

More seriously, please, tell us what you are trying to achieve. What is it in the car itself that is not right for your application and what do you think would make it improve?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

high rider (or is that low rider now....),
post up some pics or link to some and you'll get great feedback here...side pic of car showing ride height with respect to wheels to fender spacing, some shots of the underside around the shock, swaybar, various linkages...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by high rider
I just lowered my new ride (993 C4 1995) and i'm very disapointed of the result; I always had lowered car with shock and springs and I was always very low but very happy about it even with my S4 that was pretty low and stiff.

But now I've purschased H&R coilovers and the ride suck big time: at first my sway bar was banging big time on my subframe so; changed the sway bar link kit; a bit better but when I hit relative big bumps it still hit pretty hard

What can I do or change?

I'm thinking or re-selling everything and go back to Bilstein/H&R or equivalent.

Anybody had these problems or anybody as a solution?

Regards,
You don't mention which sway bar, but at some point the rear sway bar has to be placed under the rear suspension arms not above as it is stock.
This is a stock RoW M030, rear sway goes above the suspension arms, this is about as low as you can go w/ the sway bar above the arms

This is an RS suspension, the rear sway bar rides under the suspension arms and uses curved drop links

the other issue is that down around RS height bump steer becomes an issue and you will want to correct it w/ Rs wheel carriers
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

my C4S has the RSS1590AA kit, with front mono ***** and H&R F&R adj sway's. The previous owner installed the setup immediately before I bought the car.

The ride height is relatively low, top of fenders at top of tire. The ride is certainly firm, but the car is absolutely planted. Extremely sure footed, great feedback, and perfectly composed, IMHO.

The phrase's "ride quality" and "lowered ride height" should rarely occupy the same sentence.

Everyone has a different perception of ride quality. Perhaps you are expecting more than is possible, perhaps the alignment is horribly wrong. There is alot of factors that can effect ride quality with these cars...

Could worn out front control arm bushings be adding to the handling problem?

Could worn out motor mounts be adding to the problem.

Are the tires new, not more than 6 years old, and have even wear, etc?

Noise, vibration, and harshness coming from many places can dramatically effect ride quality.

Do you still have the stock sway's?

More detail, and pictures of the car to show ride height would help.

Last edited by Magdaddy; 06-03-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 AM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same kit and for daily/street driving, i thought the HR is perfectly suited. not extremely happy with the build quality as i had to rebuild one of the leaky front shocks less than 6 months of use but i'm happy with it. my car also sits very low and no suspension travel issues.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Leucadia
Racer

I have the same hr struts at rs height and love it but you do need the curved drop links to go under the sway (i made your mistake too). You can't use the stock tear sway though because the shape of the stock one does not allow for the curved drop link to wrap around it. Lots of threads on this btw.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
high rider
Intermediate

Can you recommand me a specific brand for the second kit i'll need to buy?
Any web site where I can order them

Thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM
high rider
Intermediate

Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the H&R street kit in my convertible at ROW height, Walrod bushings, strut bar and it's definitely a harder setup over stock and it kind of sucks on really bad roads with potholes but I'm also driving lot's of 120mph + for long durations in Germany and it's just right when the roads are in good shape. Just right for throwing the car through the Alps too and I have good comparison with some friends who have the same model car but stock suspension. I wouldn't want to go back to that.
Lift the car back up and you'll be happy with it, unless you just want to look cool in front of the coffee shop.
Ed
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
icelatte
Racer

I had the H&R street coilovers set at ROW -5mm. Any lower and you would have to use RS endlinks for the swaybar to clear under the rear control arms as mentioned here by others.

Here's a photo of how I had the rears set with the endlink collars as high as possible.

I thought ride tolerable. No worse than the KW V3 i have now.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 Susension lowred (H&R coilover)