KW V3 , PSS9 or PSS10?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default PSS 10 vs KW V-3 or ?

To add to above
Jackals with his 3.8 has offered a comparison.
911uk.com Forum Index > 993 (1993 - 1998) > Bilstien PSS10 vs KW V3. What's better?

It would appear we all have different views on harsh and supple ride quality. Therefore each ride is Subjective.

That being said, it seems that there is a good possibility of a general Lack of R&D - Research into Spring Rates by Both companies?

Did anyone from the manufacturer actually ride in a 993 in the real world vs computer analysis before offering their product to the public?

I have grown tired of the one size fits all approach.
Is Paying $2500 - $3,000 a reasonable cost/fee for a decent ride quality? Should that figure be higher?

Can springs be tailored to the Owner? By whom?
Or would an after market suspension tuner be the correct installer to assist with the set-up and choice of spring for the individual?
Any Recommendations Install / Tuner for Suspensions?

Last edited by TJ993; 09-12-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

just put on PSS10 on my 993, love them. nice firm ride without any bounce. had H&R coils on before. i get body roll when set to 2, at 6 it all goes away. firm ride is the same on either setting.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 PM
TJ993
Banned

Originally Posted by akrca4
When I first installed the setup, it actually felt kind of too soft for me with both front and rear firmness settings at 5. But I have since then increased the firmness for both front and rear (6F/7R) and the car feels great now!

Andy
Originally Posted by alexl911
Another suggestion... go all the way and get the KW Club Sports. Same as the V3's with stiffer spring rates. Mine were actually special Manthey Racing's version of the KW V3's that I had upgraded at the factory in Germany.

KW will say the Club Sports are 'track only' but I drive my car everywhere and it's not really that much stiffer than the V3's I had originally.

However, as I'm sure you read all over here, if I were to do it again I would just skip this step and go directly to Motons Everyone tells me they are WAY better on the track and are in fact MORE comfortable on the road.

As always, it all depends on your budget and intended purpose.
Do you need the RS wheel carriers to run either the KW V-3 or Club Sport struts?
Is it necessary to run RS ride Heights?
I am currently rs + 10.
Reason I ask is that Jackals stated there would be too much preload in his opinion and he ended up choosing Pss 10.
Second did Manthey do specific springs for your 993?
Thanks TJ
Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ993
Do you need the RS wheel carriers to run either the KW V-3 or Club Sport struts?
Is it necessary to run RS ride Heights?
I am currently rs + 10.
Reason I ask is that Jackals stated there would be too much preload in his opinion and he ended up choosing Pss 10.
Second did Manthey do specific springs for your 993?
Thanks TJ
I'm ~RS ride height on KW-V3. Car drives well. Not bouncy or excessively hard. Better than the Koni FSD which were at RS+10.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm ~RS ride height on KW-V3. Car drives well. Not bouncy or excessively hard. Better than the Koni FSD which were at RS+10.
Same setup and ride height and i dont have rs uprights

Paired with rs swaybars and front/rear camber plates
Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM
TJ993
Banned

Default KW V3 RS Carriers Yes? No?

Originally Posted by Paseb
Same setup and ride height and i dont have rs uprights

Paired with rs swaybars and front/rear camber plates
Thanks Seb
Just to clarify RS + 10 Height
Did you do your set-up yourself or Race Shop? In Montreal?
PM me if you prefer
Thanks TJ

Last edited by TJ993; 09-16-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

RS height

My mechanics did the install and we did the alignment/corner balance at we tune in Lachine.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of JRZ Pros with BBi Uprights for sale if anyone is in the market.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM
TJ993
Banned

Any new comments?
I Got the impression that the spread with spring rates on the V3 is out of Porsche thinking
ie: 150 to 200 spread. Does this matter any longer with this system?

Long Term ride impressions on the V3's and Club Sport?
Drivers whats your use % DD De n Street? Miles with?
Thanks in advance
TJ
Close to rs rebush n pullin da trigger
Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One other consideration that I didn't see mentioned in thread is the placement of the adjusting ****.

I have the KWs on my 964 and PSS9 on my 993.
As I street and track (DE) both I find myself adjusting back/forth rather often.

KWs are top mount adjustable, whilst the Bilstein ***** are on the lower end.
Adjusting the 964 is easy in the front frunk, or reaching past the air-filter box or heater fan in the engine compartment.
Adjusting the 993 has me on my back next to the car reaching behind the wheels.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:54 PM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DIY installed V3’s on my 96 cab last June. Have a touch over 3K miles of 100% street time on them. Night and day v the very worn original Monroe’s and USA suv height springs. After playing around with rebound and compression I ended up back to KW’s suggested settings. Best balance of street sportiness and relative compliance (they aren’t plush nor obnoxious and rattling fillings out- rough roads are indeed still rough). They are sold as a street performance package and IMO that is exactly what you are getting. Original very worn stock suspension was more playful (read wobbly and sloppy) and easier to feel what was happening (at lower speeds, especially under steer). Took me a bit to acclimate to the new set up. Made the car infinitely more enjoyable (all relative to an old car)- stable, precision/communication and noticeably higher ‘limits’ (again relative to a street driven car as my days of doing stupid stuff was left in my 20’s 25+ years ago). Adjusting the rear rebound is a PITA for my arms reaching through the engine compartment obstacles.

Initial and ongoing impressions...

Old worn out suspension had enough HP to overpower (relatively) the chassis. V3’s flipped that and chassis felt underpowered. Now I think back to how the car was riding like garbage in stock condition. Makes me cringe! Chassis and HP feel perfectly balanced now.

Would do this mod again in a heartbeat if I grabbed another 993. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
rgupta250 (09-27-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:16 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by olsonreels
DIY installed V3’s on my 96 cab last June. Have a touch over 3K miles of 100% street time on them. Night and day v the very worn original Monroe’s and USA suv height springs. After playing around with rebound and compression I ended up back to KW’s suggested settings. Best balance of street sportiness and relative compliance (they aren’t plush nor obnoxious and rattling fillings out- rough roads are indeed still rough). They are sold as a street performance package and IMO that is exactly what you are getting. Original very worn stock suspension was more playful (read wobbly and sloppy) and easier to feel what was happening (at lower speeds, especially under steer). Took me a bit to acclimate to the new set up. Made the car infinitely more enjoyable (all relative to an old car)- stable, precision/communication and noticeably higher ‘limits’ (again relative to a street driven car as my days of doing stupid stuff was left in my 20’s 25+ years ago). Adjusting the rear rebound is a PITA for my arms reaching through the engine compartment obstacles.

Initial and ongoing impressions...

Old worn out suspension had enough HP to overpower (relatively) the chassis. V3’s flipped that and chassis felt underpowered. Now I think back to how the car was riding like garbage in stock condition. Makes me cringe! Chassis and HP feel perfectly balanced now.

Would do this mod again in a heartbeat if I grabbed another 993. YMMV
Did the kit come with everything needed for the install. Spanners? Also, did you use existing top mounts?

What is your ride height, if you’ve measured?

TIA.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:34 PM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Only tools it comes with- a **** to adjust rebound from the top of the shock tube and a wrench to spin the collars to set height. Tools required to dis/reassemble are not included. Reused my top mounts (stock). Sitting at RS +12.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:48 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I have 12+ year old PSS9 on my 993, and for the most part, they have been great. I use the car primary for Autocross and some DD. Last year, the adjustment **** on the left rear, stopped turning. After a few attempts, the **** started to turn, but now it just turns freely, so I have actually NO idea what it is actually set to (1-9).

Looking at rebuilding vs replacing, and if replacing, then with what? PSS10, KWV3, etc.

This year, I had an Open-DIFF failure, so had the transmission rebuilt, and added a TBD from Guards, RS Transmission mount, RS Engine Mounts. Currently I have the Turbo Sway bars on back and front, but still have the stock sways. As a first step I am going to swap back to the stock sway in the back for the next event, and see how it goes.

I know that I need to learn to drive with the new diff, as I have never had one before, but I do want to address the broken adjustment ****, and maybe take the opportunity to make it a "little better" for AX and street driving.

Any recommendations??
Old 09-27-2020, 01:11 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 391 Posts

delete

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 10-01-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: KW V3 , PSS9 or PSS10?