Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber/ fiberglass roof; anyone on the forum done this? Share experience please

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 AM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber/ fiberglass roof; anyone on the forum done this? Share experience please

Has anyone done this to their car? How much work is involved and how large of a budget am I looking at?

Getty Design sells a fiberglass piece for $659 and carbon fiber at an affordable price of $829. I believe this would be a lot more beneficial than adding the drool factor Evo II spoiler aka "banana wing" to my car.

My car has the sunroof delete (removed all the hardware, wires, motor, and replaced the steel roof with a Kevlar piece). This weekend I cut out only part of the inner sunroof supporter (had to keep parts of it intact to hold my Kevlar piece in place) and was amazed how heavy it was (at least 3lbs). I could only imagine how much mass would be saved (up high as well) if I were to cut out the entire sunroof support base and cut off the steel roof and replace it with either fiberglass or CF (alias M3 style).
Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 AM
bavarian06
Instructor

I found this picture, a kevlar piece but I have no idea on how it was done (or what was involved).
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM
camlob
Pro

I want to do this too. A friend does excellent CF work and should be able to do this. The hard part is how to glue the CF to the roof! Anybody want to share?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I think that is Thatcher's old car.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Street car? Race car? My only problem with it would be the fact that I would have to use wrist restraints for racing. I already have enough crap to put on already. cool suit, HANS, gloves etc...

I love the Idea of moving even more weight down low though. I did remove my sunroof including ALL of the supporting structure and it took out a LOT of weight already. I wanna say it was 30 pounds total or more but can't remember for sure. My car is covered in SS screws already so I just used Riv nuts to attach the old sunroof metal outer skin back in the hole and its very light.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is something I'm going to do as well.

Basically you cut a big hole and glue the roof. 996 & 997 roofs are mainly glued, not to mention airplane parts etc. so there certainly must be perfectly capable glues around.

Thatcher did it (that photo from below is from his former car) so maybe/hopefully he can share.

I'd prefer to keep it c/f finish without painting but I'm thinking that's too much to ask, the seams on all four pillars where c/f rood "starts" probably won't be very appealing...
But smoothing them with sanding, bondo etc. is fine and then you just paint the whole roof.

I wouldn't do this if I didn't have a full cage though. You are keeping the main structure and the skin itself is not that much of a support obviously but still.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

this is what i have done so far. i cut out what i can (left the sunroof supporter in place/rain gutter). once i figure out the whole fiberglass/cf roof, i'm going to cut the whole thing out all together. but its nice to have a sunroof open like today haha (i just unscrew three screws and slide the kelvar piece backwards).

for gettydesign product, it says the roof extends a few inches down to the front and rear windshield pillars. looks like you glue it down from there and just paint that section, leaving the top roof bare if you wish (if going the CF route).

my question is, does it provide enough torisonal rigidity? that's what i worried about when i wanted to remove the sunroof supporter base. i'm sure the roll cage definitely helps to keep things stiff.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

gasser, where did you buy the spoiler uprights or did you have someone fabricate it for you? is that the evo I or evo II wing?

as i'm told, with a solid roof, you dont need the arm restraints? (nm, it has to be a solid steel roof)

Last edited by bavarian06; 06-01-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: (nm, it has to be a solid steel roof)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

just got off the phone with a shop that has done this before. apparently a lot of reinforcement work is involved. once the steel roof is off, its recommended that the cage be welded to the A and B pillars. they cut off just enough of the original roof to leave enough for the fibgerglass/carbon piece to be epox together (will raise the height of the roof up slightly by 1/8").

but once the sunroof supporter is cut out, and the slightly higher roof line, my roll cage will become too short (not right up against where the new roof is). guess i'll put a large and thick roof net.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bavarian06
gasser, where did you buy the spoiler uprights or did you have someone fabricate it for you? is that the evo I or evo II wing?

as i'm told, with a solid roof, you dont need the arm restraints? (nm, it has to be a solid steel roof)
I had the uprights made here locally. I was in a pinch and had them cut and bent at a local machine shop. I have a buddy that has a CNC router so Im gonna re do them with some more gentile bends and build in some better adjustment holes so I can increase the angle of attack on some shorter tracks to around 11 degrees in relation to the airflow.

The wing is the Bananna wing by Getty design...I think its the EVO II. I love it. Very light carbon fiber wing.

Looking forward to seeing how you guys put in these carbon roofs. I may have to do this. Ive already moved a tonn of weigh down the bottom of the car, Ill take all I can get.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some decent info in this old thred on the 993 turbo forum.
this guy took on quite an extensive project

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

EDIT: most of the photo links are dead... sorry. Stll some good info in the thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

+1

PM Thatcher (username thatcher). He doesn't own the car any more but he installed that roof and can tell you about the project.

Originally Posted by SuperUser
I think that is Thatcher's old car.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

anyone ever pursue this in lexan or similiar clear/tinted top?
just for street of course. kind of a lightweight fixed targa look.
would be more suited to older and cheaper 911s i imagine.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Jeff,

Can you do me a favor and check to see how wide are the mounting points on your wing? The outer and inner measurements of the wing attachment points. I have uprights on my car now but I have a feeling they may not line up with the GettyDesign banana wing.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber/ fiberglass roof; anyone on the forum done this? Share experience please