993 Forum 1995-1998

Raced a 997.2 GT3 Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Maybe you need a brighter color, so people will see you in their mirrors sooner?
Yeah. I had dealt with 4 years of "invisible" gray Radical so I thought I was out of the woods when I got this car from Kim.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Because? Oh, I get it now. YOU'RE the one who wants to bail on the air cooleds for a car like this. Traitor. Until you see that pretty much all you get is 4 car lengths down the front straight.
LOL

but what I meant was that it was painful to watch the GT3 driver not step aside for sooo long... up to that point it was fun to watch
Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Yeah but he will be fresh when he gets home and Ken will have to take a nap from the workout
Power steering. EZ to drive. Thankfully it's no RSA. Back would be sore, but mainly from the seats being only the Recaro shell. No doubt the new cars can corner + give cushy ride to-from.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...Whatever you can imagine is in it--Moton Clubsport, 600/800 springs, all rubber out of it, GT2 uprights/etc., Motorsport LSD, regeared, ~320HP 3.8. But it still weighs ~3150 as you see it running...

A true pleasure to drive.
I bet it's a pleasure to drive! And if you get within a same zip code as Johannes, you're hauling...

Nice setup, except for the weight, te for a diet! At least 200 lbs needs to be dropped which will make a nice difference.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yep, we can't exceed posted speed limits any more....
Sure you can. You just can't call anyone "poo-poo pants".

Move along... nothing to see here.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Were you in on the (now closed) "raced a 930" thread?. If not, someone bring him up to speed as I'm posting this mobile.
It was a pretty funny reference to a thread on street racing with all the expected "tsk,tsk's" and "how dare you tell me how to drive my car" that had devolved into... uhhhh.... squabbling. Tiresome squabbling.

Even better cause Ken posted the new threads from his mobile while driving at 130 mph and entering a braking zone.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Spidey 993

Wow, karma is a beatch!

Today on the way to the grocery store, I was driving my wife's mini-van. I was doing 37 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. I started hydroplaning on the wet roads and literally skid off and hit 2 grasshoppers, and a cactus like plant.

The irony of it was mind blowing.

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
It was a pretty funny reference to a thread on street racing with all the expected "tsk,tsk's" and "how dare you tell me how to drive my car" that had devolved into... uhhhh.... squabbling. Tiresome squabbling.

Even better cause Ken posted the new threads from his mobile while driving at 130 mph and entering a braking zone.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
Wow, karma is a beatch!

Today on the way to the grocery store, I was driving my wife's mini-van. I was doing 37 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. I started hydroplaning on the wet roads and literally skid off and hit 2 grasshoppers, and a cactus like plant.

The irony of it was mind blowing.
At those insane speeds, you were just asking for it!

Can the plant be saved?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Spidey 993

LOL, I tried mouth to mouth, and then CPR, but finally gave up and decided to throw it in tonights salad.

Of course no one was around to help, but that's the downside of an open road my friend.

At those insane speeds, you were just asking for it!

Can the plant be saved?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
LOL, I tried mouth to mouth, and then CPR, but finally gave up and decided to throw it in tonights salad.

Of course no one was around to help, but that's the downside of an open road my friend.
Pretty funny stuff.

And of course there was no one around. You weren't street racing at that point.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Spidey 993

Exactly!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunderhill. Private rental, with some of us hired as instructors. A guy's 50th birthday bash, actually. There was a group of Porsches invited as tag-a-longs via the shop who works on his car. So this was basically an open group, but as I was hired to be there, no way, no how was I going to outbrake for a pass.

Because? Oh, I get it now. YOU'RE the one who wants to bail on the air cooleds for a car like this. Traitor. Until you see that pretty much all you get is 4 car lengths down the front straight.

A Steve Weiner special, that I've not touched. There's something screwy going on right now, as I don't prefer that much insta-rotation. I can drive it, no problem, but rear tire management becomes so important it's annoying when you just want to pound out some laps at a DE/track day.

Whatever you can imagine is in it--Moton Clubsport, 600/800 springs, all rubber out of it, GT2 uprights/etc., Motorsport LSD, regeared, ~320HP 3.8. But it still weighs ~3150 as you see it running here.

This GT3 is not stock--Ohlins, exhaust, regeared, etc. etc. The owner usually runs slicks, but he corded one earlier in the day and reverted back to the stock tires. It's part of why he was pretty unsure of what was going on. 1.5 days of slicks, Thursday with Van Overbeck coaching him. (Johannes did a mid-1:57 in the car Thursday when the slicks were decent. Compare that with my best of 2:03 Thursday--have run as quick as mid-2:01--on 2005 dated RA1s, which were rapidly falling off in the rear.)

A true pleasure to drive.
Great driving! I would love to do a trackday with you. But you are on the other side of the world!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I bet it's a pleasure to drive! And if you get within a same zip code as Johannes, you're hauling...

Nice setup, except for the weight, te for a diet! At least 200 lbs needs to be dropped which will make a nice difference.
Funny thing about weight. Between those two videos, I had ~170 lbs. of passenger. Quicker lap (though arguably less impeded) was the one with the passenger.

I raced the RSA at both (then) D and E listed weights over the three years. Only made a difference in that tire management was less critical at 2760 v. 3010 (plus driver).

I can pull some crap out of the car, but it's a DE car I'm usually giving rides in so no big deal.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by camlob
Great driving! I would love to do a trackday with you. But you are on the other side of the world!
I'm available for hire! Seriously, never know where you might end up, or I travel. Where are you?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

That's last month, and prior. With my Blackberry I could slam out an email while doing all that PLUS talking to a passenger. Now, the virtual screen on the Android phone has definitely slowed me down. All this new tech--those of us pushing 50 can't adapt so fast.

Quick Reply: Raced a 997.2 GT3 Today