Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing front end "whacking" noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Body Roll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I remember, my fender liner didn't feel all that loose either. I wasn't able to grab it and figure out which part was rattling. I finally just put a generous amount of double sided tape between the plastic and the body and it took care of it. Later I removed the tape I didn't need.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Problem Solved!!!

The problem with having the "handicap" of being an engineer is that we tend to always "over think" things. So, I have this buffeting whacking sound that appears to be coming from the lower right front of my 993.

So, I change out the wheels one by one. No good. Then I put the car up in the air and test every attached plastic panel on the underside of the car. No good. Whacking sound still comes in at about 30 mph and then goes away at about 45.

So, today, I get really serious. Tore the right front fender liner out and went over the oil cooler installation with a fine toothed comb. Lots of debris in there. Old crumbling foam rubber. A disconnected wiring harness (to the fog lights which have been removed). Cleaned it all up and took a drive. No good.

Then I pulled the front underpan off the car. Found several hoses that were out of their snap holders. Cleaned everything up and put it all back together. No good.

So, frustrated, I took a drive to see if I could get whatever it was to fall off the car!. Put the sunroof back and then driving along at about 30 with the whacking noise coming into the cabin, I look up and there is a section of the windshield rubber surround molding flapping against the roof of my car.

How stupid could I get!!!! But, I still swear that the noise came from below. Well, apparently not. Stuffed the molding back into place between the windshield and the body........and all is now quiet. Problem solved.

Thanks so much to all that lent assistance. The lesson learned is that cabin noise can be very disceptive.

Thanks to all on this wonderful board.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Fantastic!

Andreas
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I look up and there is a section of the windshield rubber surround molding flapping against the roof of my car.
I was going to suggest that....Yeah right!
I'm glad you found the culprit.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing front end "whacking" noise