Sponsored by:

Countour vs GoPro Motorsports?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Countour vs GoPro Motorsports?

Thoughts on preference for a portable HD camera? GoPro has done a good job of marketing and seems to be everywhere, but the Countour seems to be getting momentum and receiving positive press.

The option to connect to iPhones and the app make the Countour an interesting option vs. the GoPro which seems to be cheaper out of the box.

If Countour...regular vs. GPS vs. Plus?!? So confused
Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

REI is having their anniversary sale where there were reps from Contour(local here in Seattle) to show their wares. They are bring out a yet newer model besides their entry level HD, and mid level GPS. This latest addition to their line will have better microphones and a wider angle of view as well as GPS
and Wi-fi to phone app. I too am looking at both of these camera options. The Go-Pro is selling at the sale for $239.
Both camera systems have underwater enclosures which is a feature that I would use on those tropical beach vacations snorkeling. Head to a local dealer and try them out and compare!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Did you see this thread ? : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...mera-help.html

Edit : spelling

Last edited by Akerlie; 05-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a Contour and really like it, but sometimes I wish I had the Go-Pro for mounting versatility.
The "channels" on the contour make home-made mounting options a little more difficult (although not impossible).
On the other hand the Contour has taken great videos, decent enough sound and it looks much cooler than the go-pro when strapped to your helmet or car. The Contour GPS is what I really wish I had though.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I just am not a fan of GP sound. I ended up drilling the case at the mike to get better sound. They now have a piggyback view screen for on the spot review.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

I went with a GoPro as said above the sound is a bit muffled. I might do what ED did to see if the sound will improve. I must say it shoots some sweet 1080P video and Im happy with mine.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
Did you see this thread ? : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...mera-help.html

I knew this was familiar..............

So here's a couple of in car with the Kodak Playsport @720/60FPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-Qk2pRT0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_6XlfK3Qw

As I mentioned in the other thread, I ended up getting the Oregon Scientific ATC9K at Costco for $200. Am actually messing around with it right now as its maiden use will be tomorrow at the National Whitewater Rafting Center in Charlotte. Will report back and post something later this week.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

Well they may have fixed it in new model, but the COntour HD has a losy mic for in car use. It picks up interference from the car electronics in some way that results in unusable sound in a P-car or BMW (my two tests). I worked with customer support for months with replacement units and software patches, but to no avail. Their final solution was to try and sell me an upgrade to the new unit, but with no guarantee that would work either, so I passed.

Having said that, the video is great and the versatility beyond in car use (skiing, biking, etc.) may be a plus.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems like the professional videographers use the gopro. Just watch discovery hd and pay attention to the cameras.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie

In the end I got a roll bar mount for my DSLR, that does HD video. Sound on that is also not as great, but it has a external mic jack.

I just didn't have the extra funds to get a little camera, but when playing with both, & looking at a ton of video, this is what I found out....

Go-Pro "pro"
Available everywhere
Comes with water proof case
wide angle view
Low aperture lens

Con
water proof case is a PITA, & needed all the time
very poor sound, due to the plastic case
Hard to turn on/off & PITA menus
not the best when going form light to dark, lens is slow to react
It's expensive when you get the "motor sport kit"

Contour
light & small
easy on/off & menu (better software)
very good on light/dark transitions
better white balance
Can mount on a riffle (think it's cool )
Has GPS, external mic, & an iPhone app
cheaper mounts

Con
harder to find
need added stuff for iPhone & mic
need to purchase extra mounts
waterproof case is expensive & an add-on

I feel the Contour is better for my use, but a little more expensive once you get the GPS model, iPhone card, car mount, etc.. It's easier to use, better software, more "cutting edge". It's also much smaller, & easier to mount on the car. It also has better battery life.

What sold me was the iPhone app, light/dark transitions, smaller, lighter & easier to use unit.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave, what would you use it for?

I bought a cheap Kodak Zi8 and the quality of HD video is very decent. Especially for $70 price.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the GP case is just fine, but mine is waterproof no more. Dark-light has not been a problem. But the Contour may be better....

Quick Reply: Countour vs GoPro Motorsports?