Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant go less than -2 degree camber in rear? is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cant go less than -2 degree camber in rear? is this normal?

Just did an alignment and height adjustment and mechanic said on rear passenger side he cant go less camber than -2. so he adjusted both sides to that value.I lowered car to RS specs +2 or 3mm and mechanic said because its so low he was not able to lower more on one side? Is this normal... BTW he is a reputable mechanic for alignment on these cars...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

My problem was that my car is low, low (lower than RS), so my understanding is you run out of adjustment in the rear toe range, and need to keep the camber fairly aggressive in order not to have excessive toe, which will really wear out the insides of the rear tires.

I solved this by replacing the lower toe control arms with Tarrett arms, which are fully adjustable. Now I can dial in -1.1 degrees of camber and get the correct toe...so my tires will wear better. I did this over the winter, so I will see how it goes over the summer.

You can certainly run -2.1 ( I did more than that), but be prepared to have wear issues.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
targagr
Pro

Mike J

My toe is actually perfect in the rear...+13+14'. The problem was only he couldnt get the camber less than -2. I wanted to be in the -1.5-1.8 range.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, my understanding is its like a give and take. In order to get a camber of less than -2 AND keep your toe angle, you will need more adjustment in the stock toe control arms. So, on your car, in order to keep the toe low (as not to scrub the tires), he had to keep the camber quite aggressive. If he adjusted the camber to the range you want, then the toe would be too much and he is at the limit of the eccentric toe adjustment.

I could be wrong here, but in my case, I managed to get a very good toe and less camber only when replacing the stock toe control arms with something that has more adjustment range...like the Tarrett ones.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 PM
targagr
Pro

Thanks MikeJ
thats good info to have.

Quick Reply: Cant go less than -2 degree camber in rear? is this normal?