Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Help! Alarm suddenly going off

This is a '95 cab with no immobilizer.

Came home today, locked the doors, walk away about 100 feet... the alarm is suddenly blasting. Ran back, opened door, alarm goes off. Odd. Locked the car again, the little red light on the door double-blinks rapidly. OK, wait for a minute, alarm goes off again. Open door, close door, light single-blinks as normal. Walk away from the car, alarm goes off again. WTH?

Disconnected the battery as it's cold, wet, dark and late. This is puzzling. What could it possibly be? On a related note, is it possible to pull an alarm fuse until I figure this out?

Last edited by nile13; 05-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any help or ideas, guys?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Very bizarre.

could be a sensor gone bad, a loose connection or a fried brain.

I assume that there are at least sensors on each door, hood and trunk, they may be individual switches or connected to the dome lights. (are any bulbs out? I wonder if a burned out or loose bulb might cause the alarm to think that a door is open? check the trunk bulb and the hood bulbs.

If it is a loose wire, then you need to get a wiring diagram and start looking for loose connections.

A fried brain would be uncommon, unless there was some water damage or something, but that is probably the last resort. I don't know if replacements can be purchased or not.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe the lights are OK. Door and trunk switches seem to work fine wit lights coming on when opened.

I'm trying to understand if there is a fuse that would disable alarm function as I have to go to DC for a week in two days.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Get it on a lift and disconnect the alarm horn located underneath on the driver's side near the transmission. It won;t cure the problem...It'll just ensure that there will be no noise.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this a potential DME relay issue?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna guess no on the DME Relay... however it could be one of the door switches. sounds like the hoot/trunk switches are working as the light comes on. Do the door switches work. Isnt the double flash of the led telling you there is an open circuit?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Have you added anything lately like an iPod?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, the solution came to me in my sleep... No, not really. I got into teh car, connected teh battery, started it and the radio was playing through rear speakers only. After a couple minutes of driving it came back to fronts than radio died completely (popped radio fuse). .

Aha! I said to myself. What can cause that? Right, the amplifier is under the passenger's seat, same place the alarm box is. From there it was obvious. Fffing U-boat took on water again. It's been raining here for a couple of days and this is a cab with old roof.

Out came the right seat, things got cleaned ad dried and it is back to normal again.

Kika got close to diagnosing it, actually giving me an idea on the back of my mind, a possible culprit.

Thanks everyone! Hope this help someone in the future as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad nothing shorted permanently.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened twice on my '94 C2. Root causes:

1. Factory radio was dead and I replaced it with a new aftermarket Panasonic which did not have the handshake wire to the alarm sensor. Alarm went off when it shouldn't. Found and cured a week later.

2. Next year alarm went off when it shouldn't again. Shop found wet carpet at the alarm box. Traced the leak and found rust hole near the low right corner of the front windshield. A $350 body and paint job then everything was back to normal.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
OK, the solution came to me in my sleep...

Kika got close to diagnosing it, actually giving me an idea on the back of my mind, a possible culprit.

Thanks everyone! Hope this help someone in the future as well.
Is this some bizarre way of implying I am in your dreams?

HA! Finally, my BS in Electrical Engineering has paid off!

glad it got solved. must have been a pretty healthy dose of H20
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kika, I hjave my own BSEE and constantly amaze myself as to how little use I get out of it Sometime in emergencies these old and well suppressed memories come up and I remember that water is conductive. But I try to forget.

I'd offer you a beer, but I can't think fondly of anything liquid right now. I want dry things (yes, I'm typing this looking at fog and boats outside the window and more rain in the forecast). Once I replace the roof I'll be back to normal and beer's on me
Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I'd offer you a beer, but I can't think fondly of anything liquid right now. I want dry things (yes, I'm typing this looking at fog and boats outside the window and more rain in the forecast). Once I replace the roof I'll be back to normal and beer's on me
We've had so much rain o'er the past few days that I think our house moved a few inches further down our property. If this continues, you may want to pack a sou'wester and a pair of galoshes...

Andreas
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a new screen fitted recently and they cocked it up and the car took in water. My alarm went off as well, plus the doors kept locking and unlocking.
I pulled the seat and removed the unit, cleaned all the terminals and no more problems since.
They reinstalled the screen, still leaked. They then fitted a new screen and it leaked plus the idiots scratched it.
Then I find they are using some cheap screen. I complained to my insurers who were less then impressed. Now they have an OEM screen arriving tomorrow and third time lucky.
Idiots.

Quick Reply: Help! Alarm suddenly going off