Sponsored by:

Easy swap race seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Call me contrarian, but I get nervous when I hear about safety upgrades on the cheap in order to spend more money on modifications to the car. We've got evidence right in front of us from last weekend on how things can go horribly wrong (DeMan @ VIR in the Continental race); I've got my own rollover (as a passenger) to reflect on from late last year.

I get that spend, spend, spend on safety gear isn't the answer in and of itself. I'd recommend consulting, in person, with someone versed on track prep from a sanctioning body tech standpoint. After all these years, I know full well where I'm cutting corners from max prep, and I accept that risk. For new guys, I encourage them to start the right way.
I couldn't agree more.

One has to take into account the intended use though. I'm a casual DE guy. I'm never going to race. The theory goes that any safety improvement is just that, an improvement. Is a $3000 GT3 seat safer than a $500 Sparco? I truly don't know, but I doubt the safety improvement, if any, would be a linear relationship between safety/dollars. As a casual DE guy, am I going to hit the threshold where the higher level is needed? I doubt it with a pretty much stock 993.

I think the suspension mods I have planned are also safety related. I'm going to freshen up my 152,000 mile components with improved new stuff. I think that will lessen the risk of a component failure which could cause an accident.

Once again though I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. It always amazes me when I see a guy at the track driving pretty sloppily, and he's saying; "I've got to put on the supercharger so I can go faster!"
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think the FIA approval, comfort and fitment would be the most important things to look for in a racing seat. HANS type devices aside, but I seriously doubt a carbon fiber $5,000 seat is any "safer" than a $300 plastic FIA approved racing seat if both are properly installed and used in conjunction with proper restraints.
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/6CC535B9F4ADFF76C12574430035205F/$FILE/Competition_seat.pdf
They also have a listing of all of the seats that are currently approved on their website.

If you want the ultimate in safety get a seat that's FIA "Advanced Racing Seat" approved. The list here is very short and the cheapest one I could find in this category was $900. Probably overkill for us "enthusiasts."

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/385234C04DF35DE8C125788500531197/$FILE/L40_Approved_Advanced_seats.pdf

Quick Reply: Easy swap race seat?