Sponsored by:

993 Drive away kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakfrost
OK, making my list and checking it twice...but missing one important element. The original tool kit.

Does anyone know where I could buy one? Assuming I can afford it and it is worth buying...or a list of what is in it so I can 'roll my own'?

Jim
Iim,

There is a 993 tool set on Ebay for BIN $175 + $15 shipping. No affiliation...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Congratulations on your C2S! Even if you aren't a master mechanic, having the right part for someone to install can mean the difference between a minor inconvenience and a real fiasco. Spare rotor, cap, spark plugs, distributor belt, alt, fan and a/c belts, relays, fuses, tire plug/patch kit, fuel filter can all be fitted into your kit, along with spare pulley shims and 3 new bolts. Make sure you have that special "triple square" 10mm 12 pt. wrench, too.
holy overkill batman.

spark plugs and fuel filters are not things that just all of a sudden go south..and the car will run with as many as 6 plugs not firing and a partially clogged fuel filter.

Changing a dizzy belt on the road ain't gonna happen either.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDan
Iim,

There is a 993 tool set on Ebay for BIN $175 + $15 shipping. No affiliation...
Thanks Dan, eBay is my next stop on the internet train tonight!

Jim
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
holy overkill batman.

spark plugs and fuel filters are not things that just all of a sudden go south..and the car will run with as many as 6 plugs not firing and a partially clogged fuel filter.

I'm beginning to realize Quadcammer and I agree on a lot of stuff, from this thread to the one on the fact that yes, you really do use up a Porsche faster when you drive it hard (read: "DEs, autocross, etc"). Don't mean to hijack--just didn't weigh in earlier.

BTW I didn't have one of these kits and now will build one--for limited roadside fix ups.

Thanks to all.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Tools for replacing fan belt - 24mm wrench, 12pt tool, spare belts, 13mm deep socket & ratchet (to remove ac compressor so you can access the fan belt).
Axl, are you thinking of using the 13 mm deep socket to access the adjuster lock-nut? If so, that would only work if both the adjuster and lock-nut are aligned.

And even if they happen to be lined up, you really have to loosen the M8 lock-nut before being able to loosen the adjuster bolt. Before making my mod, I tried cheating by trying to loosen the adjuster bolt which would loosen the lock-nut in the process. That did not work; it was too tight due to the lock-nut.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
holy overkill batman.

One that made me chuckle...

That does remind me of the local prez of the BMW motorcycle club. He has one of those BMW adventure motorcycles (great bike - I have a couple) with Hepco & Becker aluminum side cases.

Another friend ran into him at a meet. The BMW motorcycle owner was bragging about all the spares he carries for roadside repairs; listing them off one at a time.

My friend just laughed and said, "what do I need all those for, I ride a Yamaha".

The look on the BMW motorcycle owner's face must have been priceless.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. There is not an ac mount adjuster lock-nut on the/my 95 993. On my 964 there was.

The 13 mm is to remove/loosen the 4 mounting bolts of the AC compressor from the bracket so you can remove the AC belt. And you do need a deep socket or an extension.

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Axl, are you thinking of using the 13 mm deep socket to access the adjuster lock-nut? If so, that would only work if both the adjuster and lock-nut are aligned.

And even if they happen to be lined up, you really have to loosen the M8 lock-nut before being able to loosen the adjuster bolt. Before making my mod, I tried cheating by trying to loosen the adjuster bolt which would loosen the lock-nut in the process. That did not work; it was too tight due to the lock-nut.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And a sharp knife or wire cutter if you don't have the tools to remove the AC belt first!!! Without the AC belt out of the way, there is no way to get to the fan/alternator belts.

Driving a mile without the fan running can really do some serious damage with excessive engine heat.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't believe no one mentioned:
laptop/smart phone/iPad with Rennlist 993 Forum bookmarked.

I also carry my cell phone with my mechanic's number.

Realistically, I have never had any problems with any of the 3 P-cars we have owned on road trips.

The only issue I ever had was with my 911SC that had a bad starter and my wife and I took a road trip to Napa, but I knew the starter was going bad before the trip, all I had to do was park on a slight slope to push start it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, mainly a fully charged cell phone, a spare DME relay (only for the 993TT), and a tire plug kit. Routinely do +300 mile road trips.

Quick Reply: 993 Drive away kit