Sponsored by:

993 inactive alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 PM
manitoba_boxster
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 inactive alarm?

I bought a May 1995 C4 coupe in Kentucky and drove it back to the frozen north.
The car had suffered some flood damage and the immobilizer was replaced. Unfortunately the code that was supplied with the car was incorrect and it took me a few weeks to reprogram 2 new key fobs (Thanks for all the posts here). I now hear from the dealer that the alarm module will be inactive because the incorrect code was used 3 times. They want $1800 to fix it plus $400 for new fobs +labor.
Maybe I'm dumb..... but all the fobs unlock the doors and start the car and the immobilizer works. The fobs also flash the door LEDs but the horn does not sound when the key is used to open the door. Am I missing something other than the fact that the alarm wont sound - why should I replace the alarm module?
Thanks to all of you for such a great resource.
Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like it works to me!

If it will not start unless you push the button on the fob, it is working in my book.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Warpig
Pro

sounds like it's working to me also. I think if you unlock the door with the key it disarms the alarm. So it wont sound if you unlock with the key and get in. try this... take key out of ignition... open door, close door (stay in the car) arm the alarm with the fob. wait until the led's flash slowly then stick the key in the ignition and try to start the car... does the alarm sound? it's been a while since I messed with my factory alarm but I remember when I got the car I had similar issues trying to set the alarm off. i had to outsmart the alarm to be sure it was working...

Nick
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
manitoba_boxster
3rd Gear

Thanks guys
I did in fact test the alarm by turning the ignition with the car armed....... yes it WORKS !
So much for a cash grab from the dealer. I just cant believe I would have forked out $2000 for nothing.
I appreciate your help.
Dave
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
lizSter
Advanced

I looked at a C4 from Kentucky that had flood damage, is this your car?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM
travanx
Pro

A dealer told you this? Does that not scare you enough to not step foot in there ever again?

My local dealer was terrible when I needed to buy a couple of worn our parts replacements.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Shake
Instructor

Then again, when I was living up in nor-cal a local dealer helped me dodge a $5k+ rebuild on my '79 SC. So some are good and others, not so much.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
manitoba_boxster
3rd Gear

Thinking about it I suspect that the dealer had given up on getting the code from Porsche in Germany and decided to replace the alarm and immobilizer hence the $2K bill. But he wasnt entirely honest as he just told me the alarm would not work. I wont be going back !!
By the way, the car pictured above is my C4.
Dave
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM
lizSter
Advanced

Originally Posted by manitoba_boxster
By the way, the car pictured above is my C4
The car seemed to be very nice condition, good price but the seller didn't disclose flood damage until very very late in our discussions so it scared me off. I'm glad all's well for you. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts

From following the news from southern Manitoba, I hope you have it parked on some high ground so the car doesn't see flood damage twice !!

good luck,
max

Quick Reply: 993 inactive alarm?