Sponsored by:

clutch slave cylinder bleed problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I too have changed my technique a while back and keep the reservoir really full, much more than before when I occasionally got some air into the system while bleeding. BTW, I pressurize the reservoir with shop air through a water filter and pressure regulator. Probably bled over 20 cars with no issues of introducing air...

i usually go through a full litre with a brake flush (perhaps a bit more) and about 1/4 to 1/2 litre for the clutch circuit. The fluid is always dark from the clutch circuit I think because of the rubber hose putting colour into the fluid.

That takes say 2 cycles to fill and flush, again with no pedal movement and then pressure feed, and if I have an assistant, I also use the pedal to do another 2 cycles just to check the feel. I am careful though not to let the fluid level go down very much.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone try gravity bleeding the slave. I have used this technique to bleed brakes on classic cars in the past. You attach 1/4 inch silicone tubing to each bleed screw and raise tubing above the level of the fluid reservoir. Fill the reservoir and crack the bleeders allowing the fluid to rise. As it reaches equilibrium at the height of the fluid level in the reservoir any air present in the system should be displaced by the fluid and rise. Following up by taping the caliper or MC with a metal tool such as a small hammer will dislodge any trapped air bubbles. I will usually let the system sit overnight and come back in the morning to close the bleeders and disconnect after a final topping off of fluid and taping of calipers. Works great on my vintage cars. Not sure if this would work on a modern system though but just a thought.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a crazy Audi friend use a lift to only lift the front of the car so that the reservoir was above the level of the clutch, and then he just pumps the pedal... please no one try this

-reiner
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It could work but not sure of any real advantages - the clutch slave cylinder is pretty high up - its on top of the transmission mounted on the bell housing, so there is not much height difference between it and the reservoir - a bit but not much. Also, to feed a tube that would go higher than the cylinder would require you to snake the tube out from under the car, going below the level of the slave.

You can pump the clutch circuit to bleed it just fine - just keep watch of the level in the reservoir. You can also do it via pressure bleeding, that works too, again watch the level. I guess you can do gravity, but I usually do not have the time for that, since you would need to watch the reservoir

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: clutch slave cylinder bleed problem