993 Forum 1995-1998

Visit to Zuffenhausen factory help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Visit to Zuffenhausen factory help!

On July 8th of this year I and my family will be in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and want to visit the Porsche factory for a tour...my question is how do I go about this? Do you need to sign up in advance through the local dealer or PCA club...just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

From the Porsche Museum website:
Please note: Factory tours can only be booked by e-mail: factorytours@porsche.de
Factory tours are only offered from Monday through Thursday.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
simsy
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny, I'm an Oregonian who will be there on the tour on 27th June. I can confirm the above e-mail worked for me. Sent the email request ASAP as it took them some time to respond (like a month) so be patient. A dream come true for me...enjoy!

A
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Randy, hope this helps.

- there are both English and German tours which are free of charge ... however they MUST be booked at least 2-3 months in advance.
- tours run from Monday to Thursday (English tour every day starting@ 10.00 am)
- all tour participants must be at least 18 years of age
- the tours start in the lobby of the new Porsche museum.
- a written request will be required in any case for each tour booking
- as a hint .. when submitting your request be sure to name your preferred date (with at least 2 alternatives)
- the tours the Zuffenhausen factory tour can be booked by ....

1) calling Mr. Christian Hoenniger at +49 711 911-25384,

2) sending Mr. Hoenniger a fax at +49 711 911-25111 or

3) sending an e-mail to factorytours@porsche.de

I highly recommend a visit to the new museum. No reservations are necessary and detailed information can be found under .... http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/porschemuseum/.

I hope this information helps you in your planning. Should you have any other questions pls feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,

Paul.

Paul Gregor
Dr. Ing.h.c.F. Porsche AG VM.30
Marketing Services
Club Coordination Overseas
Porschestrasse 15 - 19
71634 Ludwigsburg, Germany
Telefon: +49 (0)711 / 911 7 89 68
Fax: +49 (0)711 / 911 7 89 89
Mobil: D +49 (0)171 / 514 00 50
Cell: USA +1 (404) 434-1112
E-Mail: Paul.Gregor@porsche.de
Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few other notes.
The factory tours are Monday through Thursday.
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday.
So if you want to see both on the same day; you have to visit Tuesday through Thursday.

There is an age limit, I want to say it is either 10 or 14, but I cannot remember exactly. There is no shoe restrictions, but they (and I) recommend comfortable shoes.

The tour last about two hours, then you can hit lunch at the Museum, then head into the museum to see the cars. When we did the factory tour, I went all out and took my wife to the Christophous Restaurant. It was outrageously expensive, and totally delicious. If you want to splurge on a meal it is not a bad place because the food is really good. I have also eaten at the Boxen Stop which serves your traditional German fare, and is expensive, but not crazy expensive like Christophous.

Finally, make sure you bring your PCA membership card, it gets you 50% off the entrance fee to the Museum.

Damn, now I want to go again...

--Joe
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy and Simsy - I hope to be there about the same time you guys are. Will be taking a trip through the Alps, but when not in the mountains, will be staying at Fellbach. I hope to do a factory tour and see the museum this year.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
When we did the factory tour, I went all out and took my wife to the Christophous Restaurant. It was outrageously expensive, and totally delicious. If you want to splurge on a meal it is not a bad place because the food is really good. I have also eaten at the Boxen Stop which serves your traditional German fare, and is expensive, but not crazy expensive like Christophous.
Is the Boxen Stop the cafe (or whatever you want to call it) downstairs? We defaulted there after seeing the prices on the menu upstairs.

And the Zentrum across the street. Have to save time for a stroll in the showroom.

Also recommend getting over to the Mercedes museum. Though on my two trips through Stuttgart I've not had extra time to fit it in.

Anyone been to Leipzig? Tried to get in there in '09, but it was last minute and they only had tours for people attending the driving experience.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
tbil
Racer

Don't miss the Mercedes Benz museum while in Stuttgart. Never owned a MB but the history and presentation there is world class. Not far from the Porsche factory/museum either.

You'll love the factory tour, take you right onto the production lines, into the engine room, overwhelming experience.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by rcwelch
On July 8th of this year I and my family will be in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and want to visit the Porsche factory for a tour...my question is how do I go about this? Do you need to sign up in advance through the local dealer or PCA club...just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks...
Good info above, if you have a close relationship with your local P car dealer, they can help get you a tour slot
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Randy,

Have lots of fun! I did this quite a while ago...at that time it was arranged through our local Porsche dealer. I have not been there since the new museum was built, but I did get to see some of the 993's come off the line... :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Did the factory tour, then Boxen Stop lunch and museum in the afternoon in September last year. Added a quick look through the dealership across the road as well.

Agree with the MB museum if you can fit it in. It is more a history of the car/transport and has an amazingly well priced cafe inside the museum.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Leipzig Factory, Visitors Center, and Track

Originally Posted by race911
Anyone been to Leipzig? Tried to get in there in '09, but it was last minute and they only had tours for people attending the driving experience.
Did both locations in '09, factory tour and Porsche "taste of the track" school at Leipzig. The factory there is much more spread out and modern compared to Zuff and all in one continuos building. But doesn't have the patina and thus history of Zuff. But a nice high tech factory tour.

The visitors center has a nice gift shop, restaurant, and a dozen or so cars on display. The school / test track has a few replica famous corners in its design, part of it is use for factory testing. There is also an off road track thru the old tank training grounds on the site as part of the experience. On track time wasn't as good value for money compared to other training programs I have done. If you are in the area, worth a look see, but not as a destination itself compared to Zuff.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the great information...as usual, it seems like I should have been working on this months ago. My son-in-law is based out of Frankfurt and is helping from that side too. Really looking forward too the visit.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
tonypai
Racer

You'll have a great time.

Some things you might see...

Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
lane_a
Advanced

I did the museum and factory tour a week ago today. Both are excellent, but factory tour is limited to parts logistics warehouse, engine assembly building and just a few stations on the main assembly line. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute, but I would have liked to see more, i.e. body assembly, welding and paint areas, etc.

The NatGeo video covered all these areas, so I guess I got spoiled.

Anyway, don't miss the opportunity to see both.

Quick Reply: Visit to Zuffenhausen factory help!