Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield/headlight washer fluid leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
These things can be frustrating. When I've had leaks it's been between the tank and the grommet (as opposed to between the pump and the grommet) as that has the least surface area to seal. Try removing the leaking pump and grommet and put silicone seal around the tank/grommet contact point - on the outside of the tank. Insert the pump into the grommet before it all dries so you don't break the seal later putting the pump in. Two vital items: first, before you put silicone seal on everything must be 100% dry, not almost dry, 100% dry - and resist the urge to refill the tank until at least 24 hours so everything can cure. The second point is to warm up the grommet (warm, not hot) so it's more pliable. It sounds stupid but I found it really helps. Don't over do it with the sealant, just a light coat will do. I just smeared sealant around the hole in the tank and inserted the grommet, then carefully inserted the pump. Also, as mentioned earlier, be sure it's all clean as some crust on the pump and/or tank will pretty much guarantee a compromised seal.
Thanks for the info...thats pretty much what I did last night, I used the white 'bathroom' premium rubber silicone sealant around the base of the brown grommet, made sure the tank area was clean and dry, inserted the grommet into the opening in the tank, put a very little silicone around the base of the pump shaft where the pump would meet the grommet after being inserted, and put the whole shebang back together, AND, as you say, most importantly, resisted the temptation to TEST the fix.

I'm off to the 'Ship-it-Shop' in Massena N.Y. this morning to pick up my new spoiler gearbox from Sunset...pretty sure that will cure 'problem # 2'...

Jim
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM
chiman
2nd Gear

I just fixed my windshield washer pump leak on my 97 Carrera 4S. After spending many hours doing unnecessary work and wasting 3 gallons of washer fluid, I have to share some tips here. Just to save others from the frustration.

1. Don't take off the wheel and fender liners. There's nothing you can do there.
I wasted so much time taking things apart just to realize that the pump and grommet are not accesible from there. You get in there by removing the headlight.

2. Removing the headlight takes only 30s. just turn a lever 100 degree to pop the thing out.

3. Don't assume it's the grommet leaking. It's most likely the pump. I saw stains at bottom of pump where the grommet is so I assumed its the grommet. Then I bought a new grommet and spent much time trying different things like puting teflon paste, silicon etc. and wasted 3 gallons of washer fluid And it still leaked. Sometimes I thought it's fixed but waited until I had more fluid in the tank it started leaking again. At the end I had to conclude that the pump is leaking, not the grommet. In hindsight, I shouldn't need to use any chemical on the grommet. As long as its still soft it should be able to seal.

4. To remove the pump, lift and remove the rubber spacer in between the pumps, unclip power, then just tilt the pump forward and lift it up. I cut the hose clamp and use zip tie to fit the hose to the new pump. Don't forget to put the spacer back in between the pumps.

Now after replacing the pump the area is totally dry.

If you do everything right you should be done under an hour.

Last edited by chiman; 01-31-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 172 Posts

chiman, thanks for the timely post as I walked into my garage this morning and found a lovely puddle waiting for me. I already removed the headlight and was assuming it's the grommet, but will take your experience into account before dumping more fluid in.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM
chiman
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
chiman, thanks for the timely post as I walked into my garage this morning and found a lovely puddle waiting for me. I already removed the headlight and was assuming it's the grommet, but will take your experience into account before dumping more fluid in.
You're welcomed. Hope it helps and best of luck.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

chiman,

Great advice!

Quick Reply: Windshield/headlight washer fluid leaking...