mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I had looked at several reviews of that book and the consensus seemed to be that the book was a collection of sales literature on the 993. What is it about the book that would make it worthwhile? I do have access to the shop manuals for the car. Not adverse to buying the book; just need to know that the cost is justified.

I will appreciatie your opinions.
The book explains many of the 993's systems: the oil system, the varioram system (for 96-98 cars) etc. which I find very interesting and useful.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well for one, I hardly ever need to run the fan all the time anyway, and 2, i don't really enjoy jacking up the car to unplug things, when its far easier to flip a switch in the cabin.

Do what you all want, but I just think its a bit bush league
there is no need to jack the car up to remove the headlights.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well for one, I hardly ever need to run the fan all the time anyway, and 2, i don't really enjoy jacking up the car to unplug things, when its far easier to flip a switch in the cabin.

Do what you all want, but I just think its a bit bush league
You know, it's funny, but when my car was overheating mid-way through an autocross event I was really happy that my instructor knew to disconnect the resistor and cool my engine before it needed a $10k rebuild. And he didn't even have to jack the car up, just open the hood. I thought it was more McGuyver than bush league. But that's just me I guess.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just reviewed my orginal questions and see that no one addressed my question about the engine mounted thermostat. Does it control oil flow to an engine mounted oil cooler or to the aux cooler? And, if the thermostat controls oil flow to the engine mounted cooler, what controls flow to the aux cooler?
Likely two issues to resolve ..

a) the ballast resistor that establishes the fans low speed on the front oil cooler is likely toast ... as Andreas said. Easy to check without crawling underneath - just open the CE panel ( front hood), and there will be two (tall black w. a #1 0n top) identical relays in the front row, hard right. Pull the one on the right ( relay R04), and alternately insert a jumper from where relay pin #30 plugs into ( different # on the panel) to the mate of pin # 87 .... and then pin #87c. One will be clearly the high speed .... and dead silence on the other if the ballast resistor is dead [ while there, do the same for relay R14 - identical set up for the two speeds of the AC condenser in the LF fender]

Personally, I'm not a fan ( pun pardon ) of deleting the low speed operation of either blower, as the low speed tempers the rate of heat rejection ---- if either oil or refrigerant is too hot, the thermo switch will bypass the ballast resistor, forcing the high speed operation automatically.

If the resistor is dead, with only the high speed available, the oil temp will jack about between too hot - too cool .... no moderation as intended.

Do those tests, and that part of the problem should be defined.

As to the "thermostat" .... there is a piston/spring style thermostat installed in the cast housing that connects all the plumbing/oil filter at the base of the oil reservoir: when the engine achieves core temperature ( ~88-90C IIRC), this mechanical thermostat opens .... and admits flow to the front oil cooler: if this is working, after ~ 10 min of gentle driving on a cold engine, one will see the oil temp approach the 194F mark as shown above - then fall back as the cold oil from the cooler lines, etc enters the flow ----- then the temp should stabilize as Alex said earlier.

If this thermostat is not working, it may stick closed ( too hot) ... or open ( too cool).

Anyway, you now have a visual test of its function re the oil tem gauge: if not OK, easy & cheap to replace ...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

I had looked at several reviews of that book and the consensus seemed to be that the book was a collection of sales literature on the 993. What is it about the book that would make it worthwhile? I do have access to the shop manuals for the car. Not adverse to buying the book; just need to know that the cost is justified. I will appreciatie your opinions.
I've found the book to be useful for certain very specific pieces of information (Specs, relay and fuse locations, etc.), but like anything in print, much of the information in the book has become dated over time. If you've got a workshop manual, you have access to just about every piece of data contained in the book.

As for current information on all things 993? Well, it's all right here on Rennlist...

Terry
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
there is no need to jack the car up to remove the headlights.
this is true, seemed like the pic was under the car and I didn't read the whole post.

Either way, flipping a switch in the cabin is still easier than removing the headlight.

Originally Posted by Dr. No
You know, it's funny, but when my car was overheating mid-way through an autocross event I was really happy that my instructor knew to disconnect the resistor and cool my engine before it needed a $10k rebuild. And he didn't even have to jack the car up, just open the hood. I thought it was more McGuyver than bush league. But that's just me I guess.
yes, in an absolute pinch where you didn't previously know to install a manual fan control switch, its a fine "mcGuyver" idea.

However, would you prefer to pull your headlight out every time you think you might need the fan on all the time or simply use a switch in the cabin?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics. Very helpful as a short-term fix.

Best,

Matt

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
The temps were back to normal because you weren't duplicating the behavior seen at the Auto-X. Do this; Drive the car until fully warmed, at least a half hour. On your way home, give it the beans. Once home, let it sit and idle, I'll bet you see the same behavior you saw at the Auto-X. It may take 15 minutes of idling to reach max temp, but I bet it's closer to 10 minutes.

That does seem high, are you sure it was way up there? Anything over 248F is a problem.

At approximately the 9:00 position (probably a little bit above the 9:00 position), the fan will start in slow-speed, corresponding to approximately 230F. This pic shows a typical start temperature:

Yes & yes.

None, as far as I can tell.

More info
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Oil_Cooler_Fan

Quick Reply: 993 Engine Overheat