993 Forum 1995-1998

Possible Lifter Failure - Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Possible Lifter Failure - Couple of questions

Just fired up the engine for the first time after around 4 months of hibernation and there was one immediate and audible engine/exhaust "pop" then I noticed a distinct ticking noise at idle. I started the engine a second time and there was no pop but the ticking was as before. Total time for both runs was <60 secs. I assumed lifters requiring pressure but the pop got me worried. I then searched and read more about lifters. I went back out and left the engine running until warmed up. The ticking noise definitely quietened down to the point where any ticking now may or may not be classed as 'normal', I am unsure, probably because I am nervous and starting to imagine things.
1) Does the "pop" noise heard at startup point to something else or confirm anything?
2) As the sound has possibly 'gone' - does this point to simple lifter requiring pressure or indicate one is on the way out and should be changed immediately?
3) What are the possible repercussions for running the engine with a bad lifter - say if one decides to collapse completely while I am out and about driving? Will I get home without a tow? I could not figure this out from the search.

Few notes:
- Ticking noise was matched to revs.
- 15W-50 oil used. Ambient air temp today is around 60F.
- Car usually smokes for a minute after a cold start and long sit - today there was no more smoke than normal. No more smoke from one side than the other.
- 55K miles, 1000 to 1500 miles per year with annual oil/filters changes. Always driven until fully warm at least.
- No fault lights, all gauges look good, no other sounds I can detect

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine, you need to worry about them when they don't hold pressure over night. 4 months is fine.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That is certainly a cold start, and many engines may be prone to some kind of weird ignition after so long sitting. You could've had a stuck injector or something dumping a lot of fuel to start with and a slow lifter.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

totally agree with Ed and Calvin

all normal for sitting for an extended period of time.

drive!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Drive it more, then never have it happen again.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
1) Does the "pop" noise heard at startup point to something else or confirm anything?
2) As the sound has possibly 'gone' - does this point to simple lifter requiring pressure or indicate one is on the way out and should be changed immediately?
3) What are the possible repercussions for running the engine with a bad lifter - say if one decides to collapse completely while I am out and about driving? Will I get home without a tow? I could not figure this out from the search.
Hi John,

Let me address your questions,.....

1) Nothing to worry about with that "pop" you heard. It may have been related to the sticking lifter or an artifact after a 4 month hibernation followed by an engine start. Without a lot more details, its difficult to say. Bottom line, its nothing to be concerned about unless its very loud.

2) Lifters make noise due to either wrong oil viscosity (not your problem) or seal failure which is a consequence of accumulated mileage and heat. The seals fail over time and allow the lifter to lose its charge of oil. Since the seals are not available anywhere in the world, Lord knows I've tried, one simply replaces the noisy ones as needed. If it pumped up after the engine was running for awhile, I would not worry about it, however its a data point for the future.

3) Personally speaking, I would not operate one of these engines with a failed lifter for very long due to excessive valve lash. The tip of the valve takes a real hammering when these things fail and the clearances open up far too much. Unless its an emergency and one cannot get a tow, I would have the car transported home or to a shop for replacement.

Hope this helps,
Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks all for the prompt and detailed replies as usual. This community is great.

Quick Reply: Possible Lifter Failure - Couple of questions