Sponsored by:

ABD light & Broken belt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABD light & Broken belt!

So my wife picked up her Audi A4 Avant from Inskip Audi tonight and I decided to bring the 993 along for the ride and to browse through the porsche dealership! So we are leaving and I pull out of the dealership and I hear the belts squeal a little then a thump and the dash lights up like a christmas tree!!!! The ABD/ABS lights go on and I smell burnt rubber. I immedietly pull into a dunkin donuts and shut the car down. I open the engine bay and see the snapped alternator belt sitting there.
I proceed to drive the car across the street back to the porsche dealership and ask them to fix the belt and let me know when it is ready. The service department is closed at this time but one of the salesmen lets me fill out a service request and I give him the keys. He tells me that they can't pull the car inside because they are having the garage bay floors cleaned tonight I literally just polished and waxed the car! Anyway.......

I have never replaced any belts, is this a common problem on the 993's and how much should I expect to pay for the part & labor to replace the alternator belt??? Is this a common part that the dealership should have in stock???

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, they should have it in stock. Yes, it's a fairly common Aircoold problem. 30kmi is the belt's service lift.

It should take a trained tech about 30min to replace, so expect 1hr labor, & $30 for the belt, but they will do both belts, or you should do both belts. Hopefully your fan bearing didn't seize, that's a little more expensive.

Most of us carry spare belts & the tools to replace them. I can do it on the side of the road in under 15min.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM
ryguy993
Racer

Thanks for the reply! I don't think that anything seized as I shut the car off right after I heard the "thump" I will most likely have them replace all the belts while they are in there.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Ryan,
My alternator belt went on the German Autobahn at great speed. I pulled the pieces out and checked the other belts, fan belt was still OK, AC belt had turned itself inside out, the V shape was now on top. I decided to drive home the 50 miles on battery power and made it alright.
I carry all 3 belts and spacers/tools so I can change them on the road if necessary.
Ed
Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

For those who may not wish to do the job yourself, this is a good time to think about having the spare belts and necessary tools in the trunk so that someone else could do the job. You might find yourself in "East Awfulgosh", not in sight of the Porsche dealer.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have no worries or problems but you left out the most important part. What kind of donuts did you get when you pulled into the DD lot??
Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Thanks for the reply! I don't think that anything seized as I shut the car off right after I heard the "thump" I will most likely have them replace all the belts while they are in there.
There is a bearing on the alternator, that lets both pulleys spin at different speeds. This bearing in known to fail, it locks both pulleys at the same speed. This in turn breaks one of the belts.

That could have happened to you. It's super easy to replace with the belts, but I think it's a couple of hundred for the piece.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
You should have no worries or problems but you left out the most important part. What kind of donuts did you get when you pulled into the DD lot??
I got a chocolate frosted!

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
There is a bearing on the alternator, that lets both pulleys spin at different speeds. This bearing in known to fail, it locks both pulleys at the same speed. This in turn breaks one of the belts.

That could have happened to you. It's super easy to replace with the belts, but I think it's a couple of hundred for the piece.
So the service advisor called me today, he told me that they were going to replace all 3 belts, a belt tension sensor, and I beleive something about the pulleys... Maybe this is the bearing you are talking about?? Anyway, $845 later I will have the 993 back tomorrow afternoon. I'm just glad thats over with and I ordered 3 extra belts for unexpected repairs in the future!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Most of us carry spare belts & the tools to replace them. I can do it on the side of the road in under 15min.
That's too long. It takes me 5 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993

Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

I got a chocolate frosted!

So the service advisor called me today, he told me that they were going to replace all 3 belts, a belt tension sensor, and I beleive something about the pulleys... Maybe this is the bearing you are talking about?? Anyway, $845 later I will have the 993 back tomorrow afternoon. I'm just glad thats over with and I ordered 3 extra belts for unexpected repairs in the future!
$800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAP! Even with all the "Porsche" parts it's like $30 for each belt, $50 for each pulley half, & still 30min labor. No, they did not replace the bearing, just the pulley halves. But for that price they should have replaced it. How many hours did they soak you? What kind of mark up on the parts?

I could not afford my car at these prices.

Originally Posted by cabrio993

I value my fingers.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Anyway, $845 later I will have the 993 back tomorrow afternoon. I'm just glad thats over with and I ordered 3 extra belts for unexpected repairs in the future!
WOW, this is why i would never take my 993 to a P car dealership.
What a ripoff!

Craig
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are probably doing "the pulley update" which is a PITA to obtain the parts for... likely the extra coin for the $100 job. kudos for doing the sensor too!

Quick Reply: ABD light & Broken belt!