Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try ATE brake rotors from Pelican?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Anyone try ATE brake rotors from Pelican?

Been doing a lot of searching and reading and see that some aftermarket rotors tend to rust quickly, making them unsightly behind nice clean wheels. However, I haven't heard much about the ATE rotors, just Sebro and Zimmerman. Anyone had any experience with the ATE's? The 993 won't see track time and I am trying to decide if I should do rotors when I do pads soon. Car has 57K miles.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No experience w/ ATE. As far as replacing rotors the best way to decide that is to measure the thickness of the existing rotors and decide biased on the Min Thickness stamped on them. If they're the original rotors they'll probably need replacing but if they've been replaced before maybe not.

A VERY rough estimator is to rub your finger from the shiny flat portion out over the edge feeling for how much "lip" you have on the rotor. A good bit of lip and they'll need replacing.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
No experience w/ ATE. As far as replacing rotors the best way to decide that is to measure the thickness of the existing rotors and decide biased on the Min Thickness stamped on them. If they're the original rotors they'll probably need replacing but if they've been replaced before maybe not.

A VERY rough estimator is to rub your finger from the shiny flat portion out over the edge feeling for how much "lip" you have on the rotor. A good bit of lip and they'll need replacing.
Bill, thanks for the thickness tip. I will measure using a caliper this weekend to see for sure.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zimmerman now has a Coat-Z rotor for the standard 993s, front and rear.
They are coated like the Porsche OE rotors are
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I just purchased new ATE rotors and SBC yellow stuff pads. The rotors are coated so they won't rust.
Looks and feels just fine. See for yourself.

It looks as if they've been dipped because the grey coating is in the inside as well.
Ed
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The next brake job I do I'd like to paint the hats just to keep the dirt from showing on them.

I'm curious if an exhaust manifold like paint would be best on them due to the temps?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, I don't track my 993 anymore, but I minimally scuffed my hats and sprayed them with the black spray paint I had laying around at the time, which was Krylon Fusion for plastic and poorly prepped parts. After 3 years of use, they still look great.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I just purchased new ATE rotors and SBC yellow stuff pads. The rotors are coated so they won't rust.
Looks and feels just fine. See for yourself.

It looks as if they've been dipped because the grey coating is in the inside as well.
Ed
ATE rotors are coated also? Great!
And they cost less than Zimmerman or "Porsche" rotors.

Quick Reply: Anyone try ATE brake rotors from Pelican?