FIRST Drive~ Mulholland Dr

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool FIRST Drive~ Mulholland Dr

Hello fellow Rennlister

As some of you might have known, I finally found my 993! I was hesitant to formally announce that until I've gotten a real feel of the power of this beast. I was also hesitant because I knew you guys would be hungry for picture.

Well, today, as a birthday present to myself. I put on some shades and took the car out. Originally I was planning to hit Malibu and those canyons. But, decided I should perhaps try something less extreme for the first time. And it was sort of getting relatively late. Rolled out of the garage around 2pm, decided to hit the famous Mulholland Drive.

Off I go, onto I10 West. And, reality hits... err.... traffic -____- So I did some quick thinking, and took off onto La Brea and then Wilshire. It just is a different feeling driving through Rodeo and Beverly Hills in a special car. Saw plenty of nice Bentley and Aston and whatnot, but of course, none looks better than the 993

Headed up Beverly Glen, and up onto Mulholland. Surprisingly, traffic up there isn't bad at all. Any emptier would mean trouble with the speed limit as the 993 gives me so much confidence on those corners. Great day to be up there. I saw a nice 996 turbo and a 997 cabrio, but looking at them, 993 is still the one I would want to be in.

At one point, a Subaru pulled up behind me, he gave me so much pressure that I pulled over. I assume thats typical for this road. Anyway, that didn't bother me too much as I cruise along at an enjoyable speed.

I stopped at several outlooks and snapped a few photos. Too bad the LA downtown overlook was so crowded that I couldn't even pull in there to park. But oh well, I rather stare at my 993 than at a smoggy city.

I did pass by a few CHP though, so I guess I got to stay sharp when I'm up on those roads ( not that i was doing any unsafe driving ^^; ).

Thats about it for Mulholland Drive. Made my way through traffic on 101 and back home.

About the car now. It is a 1995 Aventurine Green with tan leather(w/ black piping) c2 w/ Tiptronic. Polished ( NOT chrome) 18" turbo twist ( not sure if it is hollow or solid though). Wide Ovals , i think... Upgraded GIAC chip ( I wonder if its from Steve ) . And guess what, BIG REDS! I didn't know that was on there when I went to look at it the first time. I thought they were just red calipers, but nope , they are BIG RED! Just love it ! Brake feels great!

I had been driving automatic my whole life ( flame suit on ^_^), but now, I really got used to the manual mode and really enjoy changing gears. Perhaps someday I will "upgrade" myself to manual for the full enjoyment! (But then, i do appreciate automatic during those LA traffic moments I guess^^

I do wonder though, since it was 91F degrees today, so I had to keep A/C on. I wonder how much power difference I could feel. I already feel like it is a beast as is, hard to imagine beyond!

Alright, thats it for now. Enjoy the photos

*Although I'm usually quite busy, but I do want to meet up with some of you guys though! If you are interested, you can PM or email me

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Halcyon; 04-17-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on the car, glad you're enjoying it. Great pics!

Definitely be careful in the canyons. They have been VERY heavily patrolled the past couple years. So much so that I've pretty much given up driving them.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hal-- Well done intro & action shots.
Originally Posted by Halcyon

none looks better than the 993
'Preaching to the choir,' my friend!

I saw a nice 996 turbo and a 997 cabrio, but looking at them, 993 is still the one I would want to be in.

At one point, a Subaru pulled up behind me, he gave me so much pressure that I pulled over. Anyway, that didn't bother me too much as I cruise along at an enjoyable speed.
Similar Subaru was bugging me today, on an otherwise glorious driving day. He/she'd floor it until riding up on everyone's bumpers. Approaching a red light, I used traffic back-up in their lane to my benefit & scooted past. ~Five minutes later he finally caught up & passed @ 30 above speed limit

I assume thats typical for this road.
Originally Posted by gonzilla

Definitely be careful in the canyons. They have been VERY heavily patrolled.
Air patrols are typical for a Porsche driver in this Mulholland movie:

Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear you had a nice day with your car. Eventually you'll find the right roads with less traffic and less CHP and where you can put the car to the test.

That's one of my favorite colors, Aventurine. You might want to consider having a good detailer do a paint restore and get those swirls out of the hood, etc.. That color looks so sharp when properly polished.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Originally Posted by curve lover

Similar Subaru was bugging me today, on an otherwise glorious driving day. He/she'd floor it until riding up on everyone's bumpers. Approaching a red light, I used traffic back-up in their lane to my benefit & scooted past. ~Five minutes later he finally caught up & passed @ 30 above speed limit

Air patrols are typical for a Porsche driver in this Mulholland movie:

I wonder if its the same one , relatively new , pewter/light gray with some mods o.O

air patrols O_O oh man, now I have to listen if there are any choppers around too? Today, I saw a glimpse of something white "hidden" like 3 curves ahead, thought it was a motorcycle cop, but thank god it turned out to be just a random construction sign on the side of the road xD

Originally Posted by gonzilla

Definitely be careful in the canyons. They have been VERY heavily patrolled the past couple years. So much so that I've pretty much given up driving them.
well, a safe leisurely slow drive is still better than not driving at all IMHO ^^; Don't think I'll give up that route yet.
But then, I am spending my summer up in norcal, plenty of nice roads up there

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Glad to hear you had a nice day with your car. Eventually you'll find the right roads with less traffic and less CHP and where you can put the car to the test.

That's one of my favorite colors, Aventurine. You might want to consider having a good detailer do a paint restore and get those swirls out of the hood, etc.. That color looks so sharp when properly polished.
Hmm, I have to agree with you on that. The paint could use a little touch up Any idea how much should I be expecting to pay for that service?

Thanks guys and gals
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Took another photo in the garage today : ) love how the aventurine green is just so different in every lighting condition

Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 AM
moots
Advanced

Doh I was thinking of taking my 95 aventurine coupe out on mulholland today at around the same time, kicking myself for not going it would be great to see a twin
Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Halcyon
Racer

haha , well , perhaps next time we could meet up
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All your pics are backlit.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah
All your pics are backlit.
hehe , a lil post processing was done cuz I wanted to show the aventurine green's real color ( cuz it was like plain black on my camera) . I do agree my skills in that might still need some more practice as it does seem somewhat unnatural right now
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Great looking car! Welcome and congrats!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

very nice. i do envy you cali guys despite some of the complications of living out there.
took my wife and two kids out there about 3 yrs back on a great trip, and one day did enjoy a touristy cruise up in some of those hills. we didnt do mulholland but wandered up into belair with the star maps.
in a scene right out of entourage i almost got run down by a speeding 996 turbo cab with top down and two or maybe three dudes stuffed in the back as i tried to snap the beverly hillybillys mansion lmao.

Quick Reply: FIRST Drive~ Mulholland Dr