Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Wheel Modified in Poland - This Time a 3-Spoke (Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Another Wheel Modified in Poland - This Time a 3-Spoke (Photos)

I was so impressed and pleased with the four spoke 993 steering wheel I had Cars Dream in Poland recover and modify that I sent them a three spoke wheel from my Boxster S. I had them do the same modification to it; Black perforated leather on sides, Black smooth leather on top and bottom, Steering wheel thickened, Keep the Hand Grips, Red stitching, All placement of thread and joints in original positions.

The decision to go with red stitching was a difficult one. But the Boxster is Guards Red with a red center console and red seat belts so I figured it would fit. The turn around on this one was just over four weeks.

Total cost was 155 Euros or $223.65 USD.

Old Wheel

New Wheel

Old Wheel

New Wheel

Old and New
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow... very nice
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Chuck, you have excellent taste, dag nabbit.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chuck, I've been meaning to ask another question. Why not perforated leather all around? Aesthetics or is there another reason?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Chuck, I've been meaning to ask another question. Why not perforated leather all around? Aesthetics or is there another reason?
Pure aesthetics. The Raid steering wheel and others make them that way too.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

My only concern would be the two extra lines above thumb rests. Not a big deal, but I'm thinking if they weren't there...

Another curious thing would be whether they can thumb rests out of 3-spoker and make it smooth all around. I think i might like it that way as I like to grip 10-2 and these things stick out right there.

But, as I've mentioned, this is basically my next wheel. Probably with yellow stitching and possibly with yellow stripe at 12. We are putting the band back together (strike that, we are doing group buy on the wheel re-covering).
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi there. Nice work! Did you consider sending the airbag cover and have that covered in leather too like the factory iones? You could have removed the crest and replaced if after it was returned. It would then have matched the sheen of the leather on the wheel and you could have had a red line stich to match it all together...

Cheers

M
Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi there. Nice work! Did you consider sending the airbag cover and have that covered in leather too like the factory iones? You could have removed the crest and replaced if after it was returned. It would then have matched the sheen of the leather on the wheel and you could have had a red line stich to match it all together...

Cheers

M
Can you do that? Just remove the 'cover' portion of the airbag? Is it a 'simple' task? That opens up a lot of possibilities. Nice wheel btw, Chuck ..
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

Cheers

M
I asked Cars Dream and they said they won't do it due to safety concerns. For some reason the sheen and look of steering wheels and airbags looks a lot different in photos than in person. There is definitely a difference, but it is not that stark.

Paul Champagne does recover steering wheels. But he is so backed up he won't take on any additional work. He told me to call back in two months. I found a leather airbag for the four spoke and in time I'll find a leather three spoke for a fair price,

Here is a photo of an airbag recovered by Paul Champagne for rol607.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi ChuckW. The cover is very easy to take off teh airbag. It simply unclips. I have photos from the RL thread on silver crest fitment I can post if you like. The airbag cover is ddesigned this way so it is removed by teh bag in teh case of an accident. It is easy to cover once removed and can be sent away without saftey issues....

Cheers
M
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i took the plunge today... Cars Dream was really great to work with. they seem very detail oriented. I lucked out because they have a 3 spoke wheel ready for recover in stock. they are going to send me the refinished wheel first, then i will return my 3 spoke 'core' to them and get the deposit back.

so its $206 (including shipping). The refundable core charge is $150, but once they get my old wheel i'll get that back. For $200 i feel like this is a no brainer!

I'm going to have them fatten the wheel ever so slightly, just by 2-3mm, perforated leather on the sides and smooth on top with the thumb rests and black stitching. it'll look just like this one but with black stitching.

current wheel...

will update once i get the wheel and mount it up
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just a crazy good deal. I'll have to send a BMW wheel to them and surprise the wifey.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Black perforated leather on sides, Black smooth leather on top and bottom...

New Wheel
Chuck, it appears that the steering wheel is a dark grey when comparing it to the black center pad. They look like different shades of black.

Am I right or is that illusion?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XLR,
if you look at my factory 3 spoke, with its leather airbag, they also look like they are different colors.

I was contemplating sending my wheel to bmwsteeringwheels.com in Philadelphia, but Alex never got back to me. I didnt think much about it when i had it, but i really enjoyed the M-Tech wheel that was on my last BMW, very similar, slightly thickened, with mat black perforated leather on the sides.

ps. those $#'s were in Euros! sorry important detail but i still feel like its a great deal, esp when you look at the prices of some of the aftermarket racing wheels like FVD. (they are very nice though...)

Quick Reply: Another Wheel Modified in Poland - This Time a 3-Spoke (Photos)