Sponsored by:

WTK: OBX LSD experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ande5000
Question answered, thanks for the input. Don't worry guys, I'm not gonna experiment on my 993 with unproven parts.

I'm about to try out the OBX LSD in a 996 Carrera. Obviously I bought reinforced washers and bolts and will be rebuilding it and refinishing any imperfections in the interior. I'll post Pics of the process in a new thread in the 996 section. I've done extensive research. As long as the diff is reassembled with good washers and bolts and the interior is checked for imperfections there are guys running over 500 + HP on other cars with the OBX LSD and they are very happy with the performance.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I'm about to try out the OBX LSD in a 996 Carrera. Obviously I bought reinforced washers and bolts and will be rebuilding it and refinishing any imperfections in the interior. I'll post Pics of the process in a new thread in the 996 section. I've done extensive research. As long as the diff is reassembled with good washers and bolts and the interior is checked for imperfections there are guys running over 500 + HP on other cars with the OBX LSD and they are very happy with the performance.
Don't have any experience with any of the LSD options. Just know that when I do eventually get around to doing it, it will be a GT unit. Just way to much involved with getting it right. Don't wanna turn around and do it again in a few years. Saving a few grand now, could cost more, if you have to do it again.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Just remember that ALL TBD (gear) differentials open on trailing throttle (de-acceleration) and thus do not provide any stability to the chassis like clutch-type LSD's do.

This is really the main benefit of having such things.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Just remember that ALL TBD (gear) differentials open on trailing throttle (de-acceleration) and thus do not provide any stability to the chassis like clutch-type LSD's do.

This is really the main benefit of having such things.

True, yet for the price and for the street and very occasional track days having a TBD is still a great upgrade.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

True, yet for the price and for the street and very occasional track days having a TBD is still a great upgrade.
TBD's are great for street cars and AutoX'ers, not at all for track days.

Quick Reply: WTK: OBX LSD experience?