Sponsored by:

993 MAINTENANCE/ISSUES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 993 MAINTENANCE/ISSUES?

Hello. Obviously I'm not a newbie, just to the 993 forum. I already own a 951 and 928, but have had my sites set on either a 930 or 933 to complete my obsession. I have done some research on the 930, but having never driven a performance rear engined car, I am leaning towards a N/A 911 variant for my entry into the model line. I don't want a 996, and really like the 80's 911s, but have developed quite an affection for the 993.

I have poked around here a bit, and am wondering what are some of the weaknesses, if you will, for the 993? Depending on how the next 8 months go, I hope to purchase within the next year...budget being around 30k more than likely. I don't really care if this means the car will have mileage on it, as I buy them to drive (like I stole them ). I am just looking for a starting point on what major maintenance(engine removal, suspension, etc.) is needed when, and what are the crucial things to look for in a 100k mile example. I hope to purchase from a fellow lister, as I would trust the car to be maintained and loved a bit more.

I am not rich by any means, but do pretty well and want to make sure that I don't get in over my head on something like this by knowing what to expect. I do wrench on my current rides, and am beginning extensive work on the 928 soon. Again, I'm not in the market right now, but just doing my research. Thanks in advance for any and all informative replies.

P.S. I plan on keeping my current P-cars as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having two of the wunderkars of the Porsche line from the '80s, you'll appreciate that a last-of-the-air-cooled 911s require about 1% of the effort to keep maintained and going. That's not to say they're perfect, or bulletproof. (Search will be your friend here.)

I can probably speak from a unique perspective among the guys/girls of this forum, in that I operated a Porsche/BMW shop from 1985-1988 in Phoenix. Right in the wheelhouse of having to fix, for absurd amounts of money, these basically brand new front engined Porsches. Burned me out, having to continually give the owners bad news. But, 25 years later, you know full well what's up with what you've got.

If you find a good 993, and it sounds like from your budget you'll have a pick of many really nice cars, it will be more about spending discretionary money to personalize it.

(I'm in Vegas next week playing tag-along spouse with my wife's conference. If you want more Porsche stories than you ever care to hear, let me know.)
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 AM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 993 is the most reliable and durable car I have ever owned. I drove it frequently in the past 4 years. One and only defect was that toggle switch at the passenger side for window up and down.

You simply need to be very patient to really take your time to find one in good condition.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Check out www.pcarworkshop.com for some info.

Weak spots...well each car line has them. For the 993's we have SAI issues (96 onward), steering racks, door stops, valve guides, fast wearing shocks, door switches, oil leaks (usually valve covers and chain covers - no biggie) and a host of other small items.

Biggest one is the SAI, which has a few methods of fixing or correcting.

I would buy a car that has has some corrections done to it, preferably a top end (valve guides and SAI ports) and other issues. Upgrades are often shocks, sways, wheels, seats, steering wheels, tails, splitters, fog lights....all of which are good to have since they cost $$$ to do.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

e3photo has a adventurine green coupe for sale for 26k. It looks to be the perfect 1st 993 for someone looking to jump into 993's. No affiliation with his car just passing on what looks to be a good buy. Check the 993 thread, I can't figure out how to cut and paste a thread topic.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
Having two of the wunderkars of the Porsche line from the '80s, you'll appreciate that a last-of-the-air-cooled 911s require about 1% of the effort to keep maintained and going. That's not to say they're perfect, or bulletproof. (Search will be your friend here.)

I can probably speak from a unique perspective among the guys/girls of this forum, in that I operated a Porsche/BMW shop from 1985-1988 in Phoenix. Right in the wheelhouse of having to fix, for absurd amounts of money, these basically brand new front engined Porsches. Burned me out, having to continually give the owners bad news. But, 25 years later, you know full well what's up with what you've got.

If you find a good 993, and it sounds like from your budget you'll have a pick of many really nice cars, it will be more about spending discretionary money to personalize it.

(I'm in Vegas next week playing tag-along spouse with my wife's conference. If you want more Porsche stories than you ever care to hear, let me know.)
Thanks for the info, Ken. PM me to let me know when you will be in Vegas and we can meet up for a beer and shoot the breeze. I live just south of the airport and Mandalay Bay, so I can meet you pretty much wherever you are staying without much trouble.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Check out www.pcarworkshop.com for some info.

Weak spots...well each car line has them. For the 993's we have SAI issues (96 onward), steering racks, door stops, valve guides, fast wearing shocks, door switches, oil leaks (usually valve covers and chain covers - no biggie) and a host of other small items.

Biggest one is the SAI, which has a few methods of fixing or correcting.

I would buy a car that has has some corrections done to it, preferably a top end (valve guides and SAI ports) and other issues. Upgrades are often shocks, sways, wheels, seats, steering wheels, tails, splitters, fog lights....all of which are good to have since they cost $$$ to do.

Cheers,

Mike
Yes, Mike, I plan on taking my time to look at plenty of examples. I would prefer to get into something that has already had some major maintenance/upgrades done. That is kind of the purpose of this thread, to learn what I need to be looking for. I hope to become as familiar with these as I got with the 951 and 928 prior to purchasing each of them. I still have plenty to learn on those still, but the thirst for knowledge and desire to get into the Porsche I have always wanted (some 911 variant) will have me busy until time is right for me to buy.

Thanks for the other responses, too. I am keeping an eye on the cars that are for sale on here and other sources to learn the cars and market. Like I said, I won't be looking to actually buy until next year sometime. Keep the info coming.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the biggest weakness is the constant requirement to find new and better upgrades...

I think mine needs some HID lights...

Quick Reply: 993 MAINTENANCE/ISSUES?