Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 993 C4S or 993 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarian06
what's with the obsession with more power? why not a gt2 then? i bet 70% of the people on the forum dont even know how to properly handle or exploit that power. since the OP is doing quick drives to work with it, its just a complete waste of money (unless you want to hold it as a collector, major drool factor when buddies come to the house). i understand there is an attraction for driving the top dog or seeing a “turbo” badge but I’m a huge fan of NA engines. I stepped out of a ’08 m3 coupe (414hp - 8300rpm screaming v8) and into a stripped out c4s (300hp on a good day) and its already a hand full on the track for me. but YMMV
1. the GT2 is not sold in this country.

2. You are now telling me that I can't properly handle or exploit 400bhp in a straight line with awd? yes, you obviously are going to have to be more careful around the track and you need to be gentle with your inputs, but we are not talking about a 70s muscle car here. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had anything approaching significant wheelspin in my car. Understeer is another issue, but the C4s does the same thing.

3. If all you do is drive on the track, you would probably find that a stock mazdaspeed miata is more than most people can really handle. But I don't live at the track and neither, it seems does the OP.

Since all he does is take quick drives to work, I think the turbo is great, because although he can't exploit the handling, he can at least do one quick blast with that 400 hp, which will be more exciting that with 282 hp.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Spidey 993

I am obsessed with my turbo, because its freakin awesome!

Have you ever driven one and had the feeling and the rush of being shot out of a cannon? It's awesome to drive, to own, to experience in this lifetime. It has nothing to do with my ego, or strangers drooling (they do, all the time).

And, you're correct, I haven't mastered what my car can do, but I will enjoy every minute of owning it, even if its another week or year.

BTW, my commute to work is 2 miles, one-way and let me tell you, I look forward to it every day.

Buy the TT!

Originally Posted by bavarian06
what's with the obsession with more power? why not a gt2 then? i bet 70% of the people on the forum dont even know how to properly handle or exploit that power. since the OP is doing quick drives to work with it, its just a complete waste of money (unless you want to hold it as a collector, major drool factor when buddies come to the house). i understand there is an attraction for driving the top dog or seeing a “turbo” badge but I’m a huge fan of NA engines. I stepped out of a ’08 m3 coupe (414hp - 8300rpm screaming v8) and into a stripped out c4s (300hp on a good day) and its already a hand full on the track for me. but YMMV
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Habs
Hi all,

T
i recently considered selling my 4S to buy a turbo.
after driving one and riding in one, i decided that my NA car suits me better.

have fun.

Craig
Old 07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

have fun.

Craig
Craig,
interesting viewpoint.

can you elaborate on what didn't do it for you?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 AM
G-Man993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 993C4S and love it (its a keeper) but if I was buying from again and the price difference was only $20k I would go with the TT

On another note, which ever car you decide to buy I would also get a cheap car for doing your daily commuting, shopping, leaving parked in the street etc. That way you will not be racking up lots of expensive wear and tear doing shorts 6mile trips to and from the office, parking in shopping centres and street etc.

To me these cars are most fun driven on great roads and I cannot see the point of using them for DD.

Last edited by G-Man993; 07-27-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
All Iknow is that once you have owned a Turbo, there really is no going back.
Ask me (and others) how I know.
As great as the NA cars are, and they are great, the sheer power is addictive.
They are hungry on petrol, yes, a bit more expensive to maintain, who knows because mines brilliant, but a TT is a TT at the end of the day.
Plus you won't have to tell people that it's not a Turbo, when they ask you if the 4S is.
Trust me, it happened a lot too me.
If you drive both, the Turbo will go home with you.
+1 Well said. Couldn't agree more. And that's coming from someone who had 2 993 C2Ss and thought that turbos just wasn't for me.. I guess I was wrong . Once you have tried the turbo there's no going back .
Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Craig,
interesting viewpoint.

can you elaborate on what didn't do it for you?
Both Turbo's were pretty much bone stock.
The biggest disappointment was the lack of a good exhaust sound.
I know Turbos can sound great as evidenced by Niche's former RUF, but that exhaust was no where close to stock.
I might change my mind if i heard a well-modded Turbo.

i decided that driving a moderately fast car; moderately, was more rewarding than driving a more torquey car moderately.

I have great fun driving my car at "legal" speeds, the sound, the feel, the response makes me happy.

I'm not sure I can get the same satisfaction when driving a Turbo at those same "legal" speeds.
And i know I would regret selling my 4S.

cheers

Craig
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Spidey 993

Makes sense to me.

I have FD Turbo mufflers with 200 cell sport cats and it sounds awesome. Very much like the Fister Stage III that I had in my C2.

I know Turbos can sound great as evidenced by Niche's former RUF, but that exhaust was no where close to stock.

i decided that driving a moderately fast car; moderately, was more rewarding than driving a more torquey car moderately.

I have great fun driving my car at "legal" speeds, the sound, the feel, the response makes me happy.

I'm not sure I can get the same satisfaction when driving a Turbo at those same "legal" speeds.

cheers

Craig
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

cheers

Craig
The old saying is true: it's way more fun to drive a slow(er) car fast, than a really fast car slowly.

In a congested town like Los Angeles, there's not a lot of places you can let 400 horses run free. And if keep my 282 ponies on cam and my eye on the traffic, not much really keeps up with me anyway.

Thank goodness I also love great sound and don't like whale tails. I just saved $20K
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have fun.

Craig
Cause it wasn't Iris Blue...

Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The old saying is true: it's way more fun to drive a slow(er) car fast, than a really fast car slowly.
Whether I'm on the street or track, my enjoyment while my driving tt slow is equaled to when I'm driving it fast

I know "slow" and "fast" is all relative, but at the end of the day, you're in a Porsche

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Had them both. Can't go wrong with either, both great cars.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

After the initial thrill wears off you will realize how much overkill a turbo is for the street. Like any car of that performance level, it's more about having it than exploiting it. I'm not sure why I drive a turbo without a badge on it.

Greg H.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Spidey 993

this thread is now officially worthless
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
this thread is now officially worthless
Tru Dat! HOWEVER, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH HP!.

There are three kinds of people in the world.

1. Those who have turbos.

2. Those who want turbos.

3. Those who can't afford turbos and try to justify their comments.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 993 C4S or 993 Turbo