Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rs heater delete, hard install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
moots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rs heater delete, hard install?

I just bought an rs heater bypass tube thinking it would be an easy install, just swap over parts. However after looking at a UK 964 website showing the install they talked about using 2 resistors to trick the HVAC system. How hard is this install do I have to do electrical work or just swap out the heater motor?
As always thanks
Anthony
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

It's all pretty simple Anthony.
Electrical work is just some jumpers on the relay - and if you don't do this the only thing that is different is the aircon doesnt work properly when selecting heater or full full blast AC button. On the 964 forum that you mention they had some good pics to describe what had to be done electric wise.

I would say this is a very easy upgrade. The hard thing is getting the pipe to fit at the base becuase there is limited room to work but you can remove the caps to help.
The other thing is to make sure the fan shroud at the top is the correct one - I beleive you need the 964 one. If you don't have this the angle is slight off and the pipe will not connect up.

If you don't have the 964 shroud you can use a some flexible heat pipe at the base of the connection to give you a little more length and angle - this is what I ended up doing.
Give youself about 2 to 3 hours in DIY to get the blower out, connect the pipe, do the electrical, and tidy the cables up.

Good luck

Ken
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Electrical work is just some jumpers on the relay - and if you don't do this the only thing that is different is the aircon doesnt work properly when selecting heater or full full blast AC button.
pls - elaborate on how to do this jumper thing. thx!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
I need to do the electrical too...
Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 AM
moots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too Please. wish Robin Sun had done this mod
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm I thought you just pull the relay. I didn't do any jumping of wires.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 354 Likes on 209 Posts

I didn't do any jumping either. AC works fine. It took me about an hour and a half. Most of that was getting the old stuff off. You really do need the 964 shroud IMO. I zip tied the wires over on the left and wrestled the darn tube in there.

Having done all this however I have (of course) detected absolutely no difference in performance. It just looks a lot nicer.

Quick Reply: Rs heater delete, hard install?