993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post purchase PPI and Leakdown

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Spidey 993

Default Post purchase PPI and Leakdown

When I purchased my '95 993 back in Oct, I had an "inspection" performed on the car by a local shop in Tennessee. I would not call it a PPI, but it was enough for me to feel confident enough to buy the car. I also had Mike "Arena993" as my eyes on the car so all of the above, so that helped. When I shipped it back here to Colorado, I took it to my mechanic for an inspection. He too said, he can't find a lick wrong with the car mechanically and gave me a thumps-up.

With all of this said, and even driving the car for the last 7 months with not a single problem, I feel like I need an official PPI and leakdown test performed. I called Denver's top Porsche independent shop called Storz Garage to have this test done. I do have a couple personal influences driving this requirement for a piece of mind and the cost is peanuts relative to the knowledge I'll receive.

Question: Anyone have a similar situation occur? Any downside to this I'm not seeing?

Thanks -
Tony
Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get a compression and leakdown test every year, allows me to be informed to the condition of my engine (it is mainly a track car) I also get Blackstone to do an oil analysis.

To me it just makes sense.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An inspection is informaiton. The only downside to having more information is if it is inaccurate, confusing or misleading. If you plan to take action with the additional information from the PPI, then do it. If you just want to feel better or get an idea of potential problems that you need to plan for, then do it. Your statements sound like you will not be satisfied until you get a "proper" PPI done. It might make you feel better to get the information. However, get information about what the numbers mean or you will be back here posting that you have compression and leak down numbers and you now want to know what to do with them.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Question: Anyone have a similar situation occur? Any downside to this I'm not seeing?
How about a day dreaming Tech trying to thread a steel threaded hose with a 90 degrre bend into an aluminum head? Don't mess with it, save the money.

You now own the car, watch oil consumption.

Edit: Clarification, track cars, big cams and turbos I feel they make a lot of sense. On a N/A 993 street car I think they are more invasive then necessary.

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 04-08-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: EDIT: Clarification of MHO
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
How about a day dreaming Tech trying to thread a steel threaded hose with a 90 degrre bend into an aluminum head? Don't mess with it, save the money.

Great perspective. How are things, Bill?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see the point either unless you feel there is a power loss or excessive oil burning, or potentially have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket that you want to dump into a top end. You might feel the car is driving great right now and not using much oil. You have it tested....bam it has a 15% leakdown. Still considered a good number, but not 2-5% as is ideal. Now you are freaking out....crap I've got a motor with a 15% leakdown. Lord, should I rebuild it? How long do I have? Will it get worse? How much is this going to cost me? All of a sudden you feel like you can't drive the car because it might get bad enough you have to dump 6k into a top end. Seems like an easy way to ruin a good thing Drive the car, enjoy it! When you get spanked in a straight line by another 993 or are losing a lot of oil with consumption, then have it checked.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Just talking about you the other day. pm sent.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Spidey 993

The other influences on wanting a solid PPI and leakdown because I plan on doing one the following:
1. Give my car to my father who lives in another state, he is turning 70 and I want to know the condition of the car prior. This may not happen for medical reasons.
2. Sell the car if #1 above doesn't work out because I have found another 993 and I can't carry both
3. If #1 or #2 don't occur and I keep the car, I can't help but to want to know versus not

Thanks for the comments so far, excellent points.

Originally Posted by trophy
I get a compression and leakdown test every year, allows me to be informed to the condition of my engine (it is mainly a track car) I also get Blackstone to do an oil analysis.

To me it just makes sense.
Yes, makes sense to me and good to hear.

Originally Posted by MDamen
An inspection is informaiton. The only downside to having more information is if it is inaccurate, confusing or misleading. If you plan to take action with the additional information from the PPI, then do it. If you just want to feel better or get an idea of potential problems that you need to plan for, then do it. Your statements sound like you will not be satisfied until you get a "proper" PPI done. It might make you feel better to get the information. However, get information about what the numbers mean or you will be back here posting that you have compression and leak down numbers and you now want to know what to do with them.
Good point, and yes, I would plan on correcting any major issues if found.
Storz Garage is suppose to be the best, I have to trust at some level.

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S

Edit: Clarification, track cars, big cams and turbos I feel they make a lot of sense. On a N/A 993 street car I think they are more invasive then necessary.
Just a DD here with 28k miles. You make a good counter point, but I do have to
trust this garage at some level that he doesn't or won't screw it up.

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I don't see the point either unless you feel there is a power loss or excessive oil burning, or potentially have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket that you want to dump into a top end. You might feel the car is driving great right now and not using much oil. You have it tested....bam it has a 15% leakdown. Still considered a good number, but not 2-5% as is ideal. Now you are freaking out....crap I've got a motor with a 15% leakdown. Lord, should I rebuild it? How long do I have? Will it get worse? How much is this going to cost me? All of a sudden you feel like you can't drive the car because it might get bad enough you have to dump 6k into a top end. Seems like an easy way to ruin a good thing Drive the car, enjoy it! When you get spanked in a straight line by another 993 or are losing a lot of oil with consumption, then have it checked.
Car only has 28k miles, no burning of oil or loss of power, no CEL on....I'm starting to get your point as well

Last edited by Spidey 993; 04-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Post purchase PPI and Leakdown