993 Forum 1995-1998

PNW ?: water in rear footwell

Old 04-16-2011, 03:12 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JJulian
So far the following checked out ok:
all 4 sunroof drains, fresh air vent drain, rear windows, door seals, transmission mounting bolts, wheel arch seams, crossmember.

The carpet and insulation are all dry now and have remained dry with all the wet short drive and 30 mins of "water leak test" at a local indy shop. Also saw a pair yellow turbo 993 and 996 at the shop, one of which is a rennlist PPI for a canadian buyer.
I hope this isn't a waste of time to check, but my e39 M5 would leak into the back seats from a poor vapor seal in the door. Water would run down the window glass, into the door, on the inside of the plastic vapor barrier, past the black adhesive seal, and onto the floor. This was very common on the M5 but I don't know if if applies to the 911. Look on the paint below the inside door panel and see if there is any water marks?

good luck with your search.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

This is sort of a bump to revisit this topic to see if there are any new perspectives on this.

I would never drive in the rain unless I had to with my car but then I had to get the job done and finish a rennlist transaction on a rainy day. After imagining I'm at Spa going down the freeway at 75mph I started to horse around with my car while I waited for the fellow rennlisters to show up.

The rain had stopped and I was digging under my drivers floor mat for some reason and noticed a little water. It seemed to have come from nowhere.

After reading this thread with it's excellent info these cars seem like complete sieves! I hate to think our cars are accumulating vast amounts of water unknowingly. I feel I need to proactively check my entire car now.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
OK Guys - still asking - can anyone expand on the crossmember seal issue - exactly where is this?
Waiting with baited breath on an answer to this............
Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 AM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
This is sort of a bump to revisit this topic to see if there are any new perspectives on this.

I would never drive in the rain unless I had to with my car but then I had to get the job done and finish a rennlist transaction on a rainy day. After imagining I'm at Spa going down the freeway at 75mph I started to horse around with my car while I waited for the fellow rennlisters to show up.

The rain had stopped and I was digging under my drivers floor mat for some reason and noticed a little water. It seemed to have come from nowhere.

After reading this thread with it's excellent info these cars seem like complete sieves! I hate to think our cars are accumulating vast amounts of water unknowingly. I feel I need to proactively check my entire car now.
If you've already checked and eliminated the sunroof drains, windshield/rear window, and rear side windows as the source of the leak then you might have an issue similar to what I experienced shortly after buying my 993. My fix is detailed in post #26 in the following thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-a-pool-2.html.

GC
Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's more proof to keep my car outta the rain. I really don't mind the upper surfaces getting wet. It's all of the road sludge that gets imbedded underneath that I hate cleaning out. So I just don't go out in the rain. Which right now in CA means 364 days a year. Can you say ant invasion. :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PNW ?: water in rear footwell