993 Forum 1995-1998

Cannot open door with key

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a revoltin' development that is!

Thought for certain the car battery was to blame.
Maybe somebody else will pick up on this thread and have the grand solution.

Got to be frustrating....keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's the latest update...

I have called the dealerships - 2 in Toronto- and one of them was kind enough to send a tech over. Long story short he worked on the car for over an hour and could not get it open. He told me that he has never seen anything like it. Now ity seems the story has made the rounds at the dealership and everyone is curious as to the final outcome. I have one more independent coming to take a look at it, following whioch it seems the best solution is to break the quarter window at the front of the door. I accnot wait to open the door panels and take a look!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Any place you can slide a long, thin metal rod through and press the "unlock" button on the center console? Don't know if that would help but I would try it before breaking glass.

Good luck! I hope it turns out to be something simple,

Darell
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
serval
Racer

Darrell,

Thought of the following:

1. use a slim Jim equivalent to slide the horizontal rod linking the indside handle and the outdoor one. Can only be done on the passenger door since the driver's door has a barrier preventing entry. tried it - no luck

2. Create a space by inserting an inflatable pillow wedge between the B pillar and the upper right side of the door. Inflating the wedge pulls the door away from the seal and creates a space so you can:

2 a) Reach accross and pull the opposite door inside handle
2 b) Push unlock button on centre console
2 c) insert the key and turn so you can then reach and lower windows

this works on a lot of cars but not ours since the window frame portion is very short and thus has little inherent flex. I told the technician not even to attempt it. I would rather break the window than bend the frame. Plus the car is pristine and I don't want to scratch anything.

The tech gentleman said he can open any 996/997 in 5 min flat but this is his first ecperience with a 993 and he is stumped.

I'll keep you all posted
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
mg45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any updates??

...interested in the outcome
m
Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Serval, just thought of a way that MIGHT trigger the unlock. When I am in my car, locked, and open the door, the unlock happens after the door is opened, the other door unlocks. Is there a way to get to the back of the door switch through the front tire liner, and trigger it that way?

Any comment from those who have removed the liner? Do you see the back of the switch?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by techman1
Serval, just thought of a way that MIGHT trigger the unlock. When I am in my car, locked, and open the door, the unlock happens after the door is opened, the other door unlocks. Is there a way to get to the back of the door switch through the front tire liner, and trigger it that way?

Any comment from those who have removed the liner? Do you see the back of the switch?
I think your talking about the light switch, unlikely this will help, besides, you cannot get to the light switch from wheel liner. The central locking stuff is within the door.

Last edited by Rialas; 04-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Just reaching for a needle in the proverbial haystack but, since you're able to get to the fuse panel in the trunk, could there be a way of by-passing the ignition/immobilizer by applying 12v. directly to the door lock actuator/s? Anyone with a wiring diagram and the smarts to figure it out?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

any update please as I now had the same thing happen on my driver door with the door opener going floppy. Though got in threw the passenger door, opened door from inside but dor will not catch.

Which screws do I need to undo to ge the door panel of?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:01 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

What is this...Some kind of a virus? Porsche 993-lock-out-is?!?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Mines sorted itself I think! what precisly of the following helped I do not know:-
1 - sprayed lubricant in locks, key lock, behind fingerpull, door lock
2 - tried the keys in both doors, whilst doing this it triggered of the passenger door with a floppy finger pull!
3 - pressed the fob immobiliser in variety of modes involving 1 and 2 !

my conclusion its the immobiliser playing up and as a number of people have solved this after lubricating, I presume its sticky locks............... so lubricate those dried locks.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
pcBlackDog
Track Day

I am waiting for delivery on a black 96 c4 and anticipate a weak battery or something like this to happen. Anyway, I have been searching the forum and ran across this thread. There were some suggestions that may work for this situation. I can't vouche for the procedure but it worked for them.

Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Locked car & dead battery!

If the above does not show up as link, trying searching on "Locked car & dead battery!"
Good luck!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the loose trigger on my PX side two weekends ago. We fiddled a bit with it to get it engaged. A quick lube and exercise and it's cleared up. Lubing the external trigger is something that should be done periodically.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Any update on this problem? Curious how it finishes!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM
serval
Racer

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

In the interest of time I will start by posting the explanation, then will come up with pictures/diagrams to illustrate the actual issue and solution..

Let me start by saying that after seeing the inside of the doors, and understanding the mechanism, I cannot see how the doors can be open from the outside if you experience the issue described below.

Mechanism:
1. Turning the key will unlock the door (turn towards the front of the car) by having the key actuated rod move the interbnal locking plate. To have an idea of the plate (until I get drawings), hold your hand in front of you with two fingers extended in a V-sign. The rod fits perpendicular between the two fingers, so you can turn the key and letrnatively push on the inside of the inde or middle finger - depending how you turn. This unoock the door.\

2.To actually open the door, you squeze the handle. This will actuate another rod (like a plunger) that pushes perpendiclarly on the plate. If the plate is in the unlocked position this will enage the mechanism and the door opens. If the plate is in the locked position nothing happens.

Problem:

My problem is that the plunger in (2) above was stuck in the channel (yes, on both doors) in the extended position, so the plate was continuously pushed and could not engage the lock/unlock mechanism.

Solution:
Broke the small window on the direvers door - and opened the door

Took panels apart on both doors and removed handles, and locking / latching mechanism

Both plungers were stuck in th extended position. The plunger has a thicker end that hold the spring against the channel and also keeps the plunger centered in the channel so there's no side to side movement. This thicker end was jammed in the channel due to dust-contaminated grease and aluminium oxidization. The handle was slack

I did not touch the car for six months (winter) so everything the perfect storm was brewing. I cleaned everything with solvent, used compressed air to get everywhere and then lubricated. in addition, I noticed that the channel housing the plunger is not perfectly parallel, the base narrows making it easier for the plunger to get stuck - almost no clearance. So I enlarged it with a dremel.

So now it all works.
I have no idea how to prevent this, other than using very good lubricant, and more importantly, address the narrowing channel, by taking off just enough material to make it parallel and square throughout the plunger's complete path.

I cannot see how you can get rid of the gunk at the base without taking the inner pannels off. I guess if you have the plunger on one door stuck, then use that as a warning sign and troubleshoot both doors. My bad luck was that both doors failed simultaneously.

One way for Porsche to have designed this, is to have connected the handle to the plunger so moving the handle will push/pull the handle. But the handle does not connect, it just pushes, then relies on the internal plunger spring to get the plunger back in place. If the spring binds, then the handle is slack.

As promised I will post pictures and diagrams, but thought I wopuld post this first to help anyone with similar issues. Meanwhile, if you need further info, please PM me.

Anton

Quick Reply: Cannot open door with key