993 Forum 1995-1998

Did you get a PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I was reading over on F Chat and this thread was there. I thought what a great question and great read.
It may be that Ferrari's definatley need ta PPI more given the **** belt change thing among other issues, I don't know. But I thought I might see what happens here with the same question.

The only time I have had a PPI was when I bought my second Pcar, a 1983 SC. It passed.
I'm onto my 7th Porsche and have never had one since the SC.
So far so good
Depends who you buy from. I bought mine from Tim Holt at Holt Motorsports near Philly and it would have been a total waste of money to get a PPI. So many factors to consider but when you find someone that has full records and the car is immaculate, the odds are on your side without spending hundreds more. The reverse is true if you have no history but I would probably skip over that car anyway.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The first 911SC I bought back in 1990 was done without a PPI, and I bought it at a Porsche dealer. It had a broken headstud. Grrrr.

Personally, I wouldn't sell my car unless the buyer gets a PPI at the shop of his choice.

Not to say that all PPIs are the same, especially if you are getting it done out of state. A shop in the Florida panhandle did a lousy PPI on a car I bought, it had major problems when it came off the truck.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
Had PPIs done on my '89 & my '96. Peace of mind, as both were long distance purchases.
As mentioned I bought mine without ppi, but would never be brave enough buying without seeing it with my own two eyes. Definatley would not trust just the ppi.

Regards.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Did a ppi when I got the 993. Should have done a body shop ppi as well as there were some minor dings that could have been negociated into the sales price.

You need a body shop PPI to point out dents?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine sight unseen no PPI from 1300 miles away, but I had a long time friend who was a Porsche guy on the other end helping.

Otherwise I wouldn't buy one without looking at in person first, but I am pretty well educated and versed in Porsches.

It is amazing how little some people know about cars they have owed for years. It just blows me away.

I would recommend PPI unless you know the cars really well, and it never hurts to have a second opinon on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by ginch
You need a body shop PPI to point out dents?
Some people just shouldn't buy a Porsche.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

I mulled this over quite a lot when starting the purchase process for my 993. Through reading forums I had learned that not all PPI’s are equal and I figured I’d be very p$ssed if I paid someone to check and they missed something big. If I missed it, well then I could only blame myself. I then used books and forums again to compile checklists and used those to spend a couple of hours under the car and a couple more going over the bodywork – pulling carpets and window seals etc. I also did a couple of long test drives before and after my checks - the salesman was good about it but I know I tested his patience. Coming from the UK where “service history” is pretty essential on any car, I asked the salesman if I could contact the PO and he set it up. I waited for the PO to fedex the receipts/records – from day one I was happy to see – then I called the PO and spoke for a good half hour. By that point I was fairly convinced the chances of nasty surprises were low enough for me to pull the trigger. My biggest problem was remaining objective/detached while performing the checks. I was so bloody excited about ‘maybe’ buying it that I had to keep reminding myself to concentrate so I did not end up buying an (expensive) duffer which would give my wife an excuse to kill me.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1997 c2s with 15000 miles when I bought her 11/2 yr. ago,no ppi needed since came with complete service and repair records from day 1 and was checked out by my friend Robin Sun afterword,can't ask for more,love her and plan to keep her for a long long time.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a PPI done before the purchase of my 993. The BMW dealer who was selling my 993 was very good about taking the car to any place I wanted it done (within reason). I was not a member of this forum so I went with what I believe would have been the best place for the money. It turned out alright, but probably should’ve gone to the local Porsche dealer and paid the $$$ to help negotiate a better purchase price for the little things that I’ve now repaired.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Always.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never did with mine, I knew the car for a good number of years prior to me buying it and also knew the guy that did the work on it... So I had a sort of PPI, but no official one.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow this is amazing really. To think we can buy a high performance car for
**** loads of money and not always have a PPI done.
In a way it goe's to show just how robust these cars really are, unlike the F cars I read about. I think most F car buyers have them done but even then it was a hit and miss senario.
It's quite funny. I just bought a 5 year old Mazda 6 the other day and had a PPI done. Yet I spent over 5 times that ammount on my TT and never bothered.
This is like Russian roulette!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly can't imagine not doing it if only for the peace of mind and nights of good sleep. Seems well worth the price of admission to me.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

unless the car was owned by a small handful of porsche ownerrs I know well, absolutely.

I got one, it revealed some things and didn't others.

You never know what you've got until you examine the hell out of it yourself.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As an ex-shop owner, I suppose I can can trust myself to figure out what's what. But I've only bought the C4S of the dozen or so 911s I've owned for retail. And if a PPI showed something? Well, there were two other guys waiting right behind me to buy the car, so it was kind of a Clint "do you feel lucky, punk?" moment to write the check. It had all receipts from Day One, and what couldn't I fix?

Other than the yellow car, I've got really low standards with how my 911s start out. That it has a clean title is all I've required.

Quick Reply: Did you get a PPI?