Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Red Light Cameras Take Videos!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried several times to save the video off the website to post it, but I can't figure it out.
So here's a link to the video. My picture is horrible... but at least you can tell I was looking...
www.photonotice.com
City Code: OCS
Ticket #: o17383a
License# 6JYY090
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Photoblocker?

I sent a can to a buddy in New York. Of course he gets a photoradar ticket. Of course they send him the ticket....note, the front license plate was blurred out...BUT, he forgot to spray the NY registration sticker on the windshield. That is what they used to IDee him. I saw this with my 20/15 eyes...photoblocker worked in this case, well sort of. Will it work every time? Don't have a clue.

"Photoblocker spray works on the same principle as photoblocker license cover, however it seems to be more effective and more inconspicuous. It is an aerosol spray in a can that contains millions of super small reflective particles that act as mirrors. It is sprayed on your license plate, and once dry it prevents the cameras to take a readable picture of your license number by reflecting the flash from the camera due to overexposure."

Do I have photoblocker on my car? No, I am 100% conditioned to make full stops for red lights...I am like one of Pavlov's dogs. I see a red light (woof, woof) , I come to a complete stop. I have been beaten into submission. And besides, in Cali, running a light is good for $500, or more. $500 gets my attention!

And finally, I believe that about 80% of this money goes to the suppliers of the device.

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-07-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Moot
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Update:
I just got word from my traffic attorney, WE WON!!!
There was a technicality with one of the forms that was supposed to be submitted when they installed the cameras. The representing officer couldn't come up with the paperwork so I got lucky.
The attorney's name is Elizabeth Aronson in San Diego. She also has a wonderful letter on highwayrobbery.net and I am sure she won't mind me dropping her name here.
Now if we can just make the dang things illegal!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! Good for you dude. Must be the luck of the Irish or something.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Somewhat related, but more of a Public Service Announcement. Got snagged in a radar sting in Las Vegas a couple of months ago. Basically clocked at 70 in a 55 construction zone (with no construction workers present, of course) on US95. Uh, OK take my medicine. Get written up for 60, no notation this was a construction zone. Ah, money play. Sure enough, it's a "pay the fine ($205) and we reduce it to illegal parking" deal. I know of no jurisdiction in CA where they do similar.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
flyenby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 200.00 Garmin gps and went to garmin site and downloaded Red Light Cameras shows location and also gives a audible signal when you are approaching one.....Right turns on red lights account for a significant amount of tickets in Los Angeles..I dont work for Garmin....this is my solution . I am aware of a RED Light Camera intersection....and take caution
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=chaoscreature;8670851]Update:
I just got word from my traffic attorney, WE WON!!!
There was a technicality with one of the forms that was supposed to be submitted when they installed the cameras. The representing officer couldn't come up with the paperwork so I got lucky.
The attorney's name is Elizabeth Aronson in San Diego. She also has a wonderful letter on highwayrobbery.net and I am sure she won't mind me dropping her name here.
Now if we can just make the dang things illegal![/QUOTE]

Congratulations! I underlined your last sentence as you have the full blessing of many. Some states are 'full bore ahead' revenue hunting and still installing them with all the public relations BS, while other states are dismantling and calling them every name in the book.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
\

I want to fight this ticket, not because I am innocent but because I think the punishment does not fit the infraction and because I see the whole premise of red light cameras as a violation of the due process of law. Not being able to face my accusor AND being convicted by a private company sours me to just pay the fine and move on.
How are you being denied due process? You are free to go to court and challenge it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

The reason I said that was because my "accusor" was a piece of equipment on top of post, which triggered a private company respresentative in another state to take a look at the "evidence" and make a decision based on what he saw. Even if you go to court they are not going to subpoena the company rep that made the decision and fly him out to provide testimony. Appealing the local court decision costs $$$ and takes a lot of time. The investment outweighs the fine, so at that point 99% of people will just hunker down and pay. Had I lost the case I would have been one of them, unless my attorney wanted to work pro-bono for the publicity.
Anyways, the good thing is a got lucky and managed to save some money that I can now put into something useful like tires

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, so I was dead wrong for rolling that right turn. I now make complete stops at ALL red lights before making a right turns, hopefully I don't get rear-ended for it!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how it works in CA, but in Texas, an officer of the law has to review each video before a citation is mailed out. Its not just some robot dispensing out tickets. So that if there was a legitimate reason for running the red, like an ambulance behind you, they would see that and not give you a ticket. And you still can challenge the findings but more than likely, the officer will be there. That's due process. Its not like you have to pay it no matter what. Like what happened with you. I will say that California fines are ridiculous crazy.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately it's not just California. A friend recently got tagged in eastern Long Island for speeding 10 mph over the limit with a $500+ ticket and points. We'll see more of this as the Feds and States balance their budgets by cutting their contributions to Citys and Counties. Get used to it because it will only get more widespread.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well..............There's your 15 minutes of fame
and
Here's your sign !!

Quick Reply: Red Light Cameras Take Videos!