Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Red Light Cameras Take Videos! (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/624673-red-light-cameras-take-videos.html)

chaoscreature 03-28-2011 03:52 PM

Red Light Cameras Take Videos!

I had no idea they could ticket on right turns. I assumed they could not gather the evidence to ticket on these, but I was dead, idiotically wrong about that. It's probably common knowledge here, but I just found out they took videos as well...
They sent me four pictures in the mail: two of my car, one of me looking like and idiot, and one of my rear license plate. They also sent a link to a video of me failing to stop before making a right turn at the light. This was in Oceanside off College and Oceanside Blvd. I missed the light by a mile, but was paying attention, looked for oncoming traffic, then proceeded to make the right turn without stopping (in other words I am guilty as sin).
Now to the fun part... two weeks later the actual ticket arrived in the mail. $534 bail if I don't want a point against my insurance! I think it might cost less to kill someone in Texas then to get a ticket here!

Are there any loopholes in the legal system to help get me out of this? I read about the Khaled VS Orange County proceedings and visited HighwayRobbery.net but I am not a lawyer and have never been to court so I am unsure of how to proceed. I was going to just plead guilty, do my traffic school and put this behind me, but $536 + traffic school expenses is ridiculous!
Is there a decent traffic laywer in my area anyone would recommend or am I totally screwed?

ca993twin 03-28-2011 04:07 PM

Wow. I didn't know they could trip on an illegal right turn either. That is a crazy fine. Yipes. Be careful out there.

KLSpeed27 03-28-2011 04:28 PM

Already stared in one of those movies...mine was only $75 though:banghead:

911Dave 03-28-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by chaoscreature (Post 8423317)
...then proceeded to make the right turn without stopping (in other words I am guilty as sin).

Ah, the legendary "California stop", as one cop described it to me.

That's an awfully steep price to pay for your "oversight". Cali needs money BAD.

If red light cameras can take videos, you can be cited for any infraction they see.

vjd3 03-28-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by chaoscreature (Post 8423317)
I think it might cost less to kill someone in Texas then to get a ticket here!

You can apparently kill someone for free in Texas if you feel threatened on your property or in your vehicle, it's called "castle doctrine."

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

In your case, however, they seem to have you cold, I wouldn't go to fight that one in court. You might get lucky and plea it down beforehand but I can't imagine winning.

Seems like a real revenue producer.

deekay911 03-28-2011 04:50 PM

Apparently the legal system has already taken care of all the real crime/criminals.....

chaoscreature 03-28-2011 05:28 PM

If red light cameras can take videos, you can be cited for any infraction they see.
Yup, California is starting to remind me of that (bad) movie Demolition Man, where you get automated tickets for just about everything. It's not too far off. If they can get your for this then turning into the wrong lane, speeding, seat belts, no front license plates, bad light bulbs... you name it! All they have to do is decide to enforce stuff based on video evidence and watch the $$$ come in.

911Dave, I love your avatar BTW; One of the greatest characters/movies ever.

AOW162435 03-28-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by deekay911 (Post 8423470)
Apparently the legal system has already taken care of all the real crime/criminals.....

My thoughts exactly.

Andreas

MarkD 03-28-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ca993twin (Post 8423361)
Wow. I didn't know they could trip on an illegal right turn either. That is a crazy fine. Yipes. Be careful out there.

yep, and be careful at the mall in Santa Cruz, Steve.
I got one there at the main mall entrance 2 years ago. Similar fine.

Totally safe turn, no pedestrians, traffic, etc.
Turn was into a one way entrance to boot. I missed the "no right on red" sign and didn't come to a complete stop. Doh.

Camera is run by a company in Az. and they get a cut of the winnings. Got to see my video online too.

Expensive video so I watched it over and over again. :banghead:

goofballdeluxe 03-28-2011 09:30 PM

Gotta pay those rich retirement pensions for Big Brother's workers somehow. Because they've done such a good job at managing the State.

Welcome to California. Have a nice day :bigbye:

race911 03-28-2011 09:51 PM

Hope this educates everyone who didn't realize it before............

Back to the fine/insurance. Is this, or is this not, a moving violation? If it is, anything but a "not guilty" verdict at a trial/hearing or dismissal (if allowed) through a traffic school will put a point on your record and reporting to your insurance company.

goofballdeluxe 03-28-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by race911 (Post 8424429)
Hope this educates everyone who didn't realize it before............

Back to the fine/insurance. Is this, or is this not, a moving violation? If it is, anything but a "not guilty" verdict at a trial/hearing or dismissal (if allowed) through a traffic school will put a point on your record and reporting to your insurance company.

It is a moving violation.

sanyata 03-28-2011 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=chaoscreature;8423317] $534 bail if I don't want a point against my insurance! QUOTE]

Is there a different and lessor bail that is offered with points? It seems like another ploy of Cali to get more money if there are offering a choice and only goes to prove these tickets are more for producing revenue then for public safety.

simoncpj 03-28-2011 11:32 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think the video and "in other words I am guilty as sin" true up too well with the desire to find a loophole. Sounds like they have you dead to rights, unless you think you can use the picture of "me looking like an idiot" to claim some sort of diminished capacity :)

BTW, paste the link so we can all view your transgression and see your car in action.

pcarhombre 03-29-2011 02:10 AM

BE careful. Big brother is growing all across the country. I got a $75 ticket and a photo in the mail for being lost in DC and turning into the turn only lane at the last moment before passing my turn that would have led me back to the highway from which I had just exited. Of course I did it safely, but that didn't do diddly for me. Pay the fine and be glad it wasn't cited as a points violation...at least that is what I did.