Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much mechanical work do you perform yourself on your 993?
I do EVERYTHING myself and would not let a mechanic near my car with a 10' pole
17.19%
I do most things on my car, but at times let others work on it for the really tough stuff
50.52%
I do the simple things like oil changes and tire changes, but let others handle the rest
16.67%
I change the light bulbs, but that is about it, someone else takes care of it
10.94%
I do absolutely nothing to service my car, its all done by someone else
4.69%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

How much to you DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's having the proper tools and space with a lift issue for me. I've wrenched on a simple Landrover Series IIA in the past but haven't done much on the much more complex 993 except to do the front brakes under the tutelage of MikeJ.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Geo, you have 2 engines? You swap them every week?
Doesn't everyone??? ....

With all due respect to good mechanics, I clicked #1, as the only 'sub-contracted' work so far has been alignments: having had a parts car to strip has donated the obvious spare engine & trans - but of more immediate utility were starter, steering rack, alternator, various electronic bits, ad infinitum, as these failed on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Kevin Weidlich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking my car to a local so-called pca club mechanic I am going to have to start doing my own work. I went in for a year end check up and oil change ( took them more than 5 hrs. 3hrs just to figure out changing the oil!) First, they didn't know how to check the oil ( I had to tell them) and second, they tried to tell me it is a partial dry sump. So I am slowly gathering tools and getting the nerve to start wrenching. A lift would make things so much easier.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Weidlich
After taking my car to a local so-called pca club mechanic I am going to have to start doing my own work. I went in for a year end check up and oil change ( took them more than 5 hrs. 3hrs just to figure out changing the oil!) First, they didn't know how to check the oil ( I had to tell them) and second, they tried to tell me it is a partial dry sump. So I am slowly gathering tools and getting the nerve to start wrenching. A lift would make things so much easier.
Look at the bright side, if it were a non-pca club mechanic, it would have taken 10 hours. Maybe those guys should have stuck to basket weaving.

So I am slowly gathering tools and getting the nerve to start wrenching. A lift would make things so much easier.
Kevin, nothing could be easier. For someone unfamiliar with this car, start by using the info on the Pcarworkshop site. If you don't have "the feel" a quality torque wrench may be a good idea.

A lift isn't necessary. I've done everything so far with just a jack; upper & lower valve cover seals, spark plug change, oil & filters change, etc.

As for tools, the Maximum line of tools from Canadian Tire is very good.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

You need jackstands too, to go with the jack.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Kevin Weidlich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Look at the bright side, if it were a non-pca club mechanic, it would have taken 10 hours. Maybe those guys should have stuck to basket weaving.

Kevin, nothing could be easier. For someone unfamiliar with this car, start by using the info on the Pcarworkshop site. If you don't have "the feel" a quality torque wrench may be a good idea.

A lift isn't necessary. I've done everything so far with just a jack; upper & lower valve cover seals, spark plug change, oil & filters change, etc.

As for tools, the Maximum line of tools from Canadian Tire is very good.
Thanks for the info Alex. I just got the 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Looks like I will learn under fire, I also have to do valve cover gaskets (noticed some seepage), spark plugs (luckily only 6), fuel filter, air filter, and belts. When I am down there I might as well clean things up because some people make other people look bad with their spotless engine bays and engine
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Thanks for the info Alex. I just got the 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches.
Its the smaller fasteners I'd worry about, like the ones holding the valve covers down. You'd want a 1/4" torque wrench that goes from 3 to 18 lbf.ft. (mine does 30 to 200 lbf.in.) What is your budget?

When I am down there I might as well clean things up because some people make other people look bad with their spotless engine bays and engine
Well it isn't primarily for that reason. The last thing I need falling into an open engine is dirt, so I like to keep the work area clean.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My thoughts exactly.

Andreas
X2. And thanks to Rennlist, I'll be dropping the transmission in a few weeks.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrenching for me is actually relaxing and enjoyable when I have the time to do it. Can pretty much do anything on the car besides tranny rebuild or bottom end work. Finding time is tough...and my boys are too young to help but old enough to take parts/tools run off with them...hammer the door etc..
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
As a young father, I find that I have no time to work on my car. That said, I do change bulbs, installed my FPB, unhooked the spoiler light module thingy after the RS tail went on, swap tires and wheels at the track, etc. At this point in my life, I have more free money than free time.
Gonzilla and I are in the same boat with you, although on Sunday, my 4 year-old girl was very interested in helping me jack up the car and take the wheels off. She followed me around with a container for the lug nuts while I explained to her what a wheel lock was. Makes the heart melt.

Bear in mind, this poll represents RL 993 members only and not 993 owners overall. While I expect that we have most of the world's English speaking 993 DIYers here on RL, since this poll is a "technical" forum, it has an inherent bias toward DIYers to begin with. Knowing that there are, what, more than 10,000 993s made, I assume that most of their owners don't wrench at all.

Quick Reply: How much to you DIY?