Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much mechanical work do you perform yourself on your 993?
I do EVERYTHING myself and would not let a mechanic near my car with a 10' pole
17.19%
I do most things on my car, but at times let others work on it for the really tough stuff
50.52%
I do the simple things like oil changes and tire changes, but let others handle the rest
16.67%
I change the light bulbs, but that is about it, someone else takes care of it
10.94%
I do absolutely nothing to service my car, its all done by someone else
4.69%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

How much to you DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with a few others here that I'm a reluctant #1. I have no problem having a reputable mechanic wrench on my car but for most things, including engine/trans builds, I prefer to do it myself. Sometimes because of the $$$ saved and sometimes because it's often easier to do a repair yourself than go through the process of dropping a car off, being without it, then picking it up again when it's done.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Not to derail this thread, but how about some more pics of "Ruby." I think I may be kind of sweet on her
Not to derail, but you twisted my arm-a few little pics....
Attached Images      
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
I was looking for a transmission to swap with my broken tranny, the time for me to rebuild it.
Fell on a low mile totaled carrera S in UK production Sep '97 (last months of prod I think)
Made a deal with the dismantler and took engine and tranny.
Now I swapped both original engine and transmission, and I am going to rebuild my originals.
then swap back...This way I use the car, rebuild slowly as I please, and take all my time.
Later if I resell back the spare engine, I would be able to sell it more than what I paid.
and I wanted to test another engine on my car to compare (hope my girlfriend doesn't read this)
ok; hope she doesn't. What contributed to the broken tranny, and how does the new engine compare so far?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
I was looking for a transmission to swap with my broken tranny, the time for me to rebuild it.
Fell on a low mile totaled carrera S in UK production Sep '97 (last months of prod I think)
Made a deal with the dismantler and took engine and tranny.
Now I swapped both original engine and transmission, and I am going to rebuild my originals.
then swap back...This way I use the car, rebuild slowly as I please, and take all my time.
Later if I resell back the spare engine, I would be able to sell it more than what I paid.
and I wanted to test another engine on my car to compare (hope my girlfriend doesn't read this)
Very cool!! Did you notice any difference between the 2 engines?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
ok; hope she doesn't. What contributed to the broken tranny, and how does the new engine compare so far?
LOL..beat me for 8 minutes. I'm a slow typist...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Is there beer in that mini-fridge?
Mostly torque wrenches.....and a beer or two
And Alex or any Rlister is more than welcome whenever in Paris

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
What contributed to the broken tranny?
While emission control test, the controller put the box in neutral, and rev'd it a few tens of seconds for the test. Tranny was pressurized, thus forward clutch burnt. A few weeks later, the car leeped forward in neutral and no reverse (wrote a whole thread about incident)
To prevent. you should shut off engine for 30 seconds to 1 minute (to de-pressurize the clutches) and restart only in PARK, and then and only, you could rev it.

Originally Posted by cabrio993
any difference between the 2 engines?
ALL this is impression. Same speed. Original is very fast above 3k rpm, the new is quieter and has more torque in low rpm. The new pulls you back in your seat more on low rpm's and spins wheels much much more on acceleration.

Last edited by geolab; 03-28-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I've always been Category 2. If I had more time I may have been a 1, but the way things going I might be a 3 soon, seeing how little time I have lately to wrench on the car.
+1, I'm exactly like that.

I hate tinkering with my cars or motorcycles in a rush, takes the joy out of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

As a young father, I find that I have no time to work on my car. That said, I do change bulbs, installed my FPB, unhooked the spoiler light module thingy after the RS tail went on, swap tires and wheels at the track, etc. At this point in my life, I have more free money than free time.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to do everything myself. The only time I call in help is when I don't have the tools to do it and can't justify the expense. For instance, alignments. I would LOVE to have a big red hunter machine in the garage though! Part of it's because I am frugal (okay, I'm cheap) and the other is because working with my hands is very fulfilling.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

THe big Hunter machines certainly make it simpler, but strings and a camber gauge work pretty well for alignments.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caster is tough to hit using 2x4's and strings. An alignment machine is not necessary, true, but wouldn't it be cool? That and your own dyno... and a wind tunnel...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The camber gauge I've used did caster too. I've only done my 911 in the garage, but they aren't what one would call simple.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Middle option for me. Steadily increasing as I go.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 877 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I only put gas in, check the oil, and wash it. I get zero joy working on cars and have absolutely no issues of paying people do work on them. I'd rather scrub a toilet than tinker with a car.
I couldn't have put it any better and every single person I know at work and my friends (that aren't on Rennlist or Bimmerboard) are the same as me - they do nothing to cars other than clean them, if even that.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put gas in.

Quick Reply: How much to you DIY?