GT3 Engine in a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
The M96 motor is the problem, not the water cooling, IMHO. If it had been less prone to "catastrohic failure" I'd probably still have my 02 (320HP 3.6). I originally bought the car because it had a new/reman Porsche motor installed a few thousand miles before I bought it @ 27K miles. To me it's knowing that the basic engine is strong. Unfortunately a new motor doesn't fix the fundamental design problem; "new" motors go pop too. I can live with a little oil consumption caused by less than ideal valve guides (air-cooled) but the M96 in all it's versions will forever have a negative stigma attached to it and any car it powers. Reliability goes a long way in making a car attractive to me.

It really would have been nice if all 996/997s were powered by some derivitave of the GT1 block/GT3 engine. To me at least, the knowledge that the basic design and architecture of the engine was the same in any given series of the air-cooled generation was what made the 911 so attractive. The day the new DFI motor is the basis for ALL new 911 motors, GT models and racecars included, is the day this magic returns IMHO.
That day is not far off.

The 2009 up 9A1 motors are proving themselves to be very good an soon will be used as the basis for the GT3 and turbo
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And all the RS America guys will shout "who needs power steering"? (Yes, I love mine in the yellow car. Racing the RSA was tiring unless I was running Hoosiers.)

Non-Porsche, and blasphemy, but with what a light V-8 crate engine runs these days...................
not blasphemy, RUF's Reinhard Konneker has designed and built a dry sump V8 that fits in a 997, and after watching (painful) the Sebring ALMS GT category, the flat-6 is dead in the GT category.
If the ALMS is all green-and-$hit, let the entrants run turbocharged engine, let's see what a GT2RSR could do against turbocharged Mid-live-crisis-peni (Vettes), Porcupine-Driver Propeller (BMW) , and Prancing Horses (no explanation needed)
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So the verdict is that it's very do able? Anyone has pic or real life experience please?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

There are people who have done this to older 911 bodies for the track.

In a 993, im willing to bet it could be made to be an awesome street car let alone racer!

Anything is possible. And this appears to be as straight foward as possible.

I often thought how nice my 993 would be with my screaming 997RS engine..... beautiful combo!

As far as installing a chevy goes for those who mentioned it.... as much as i enjoy my chevys ( i have a ramjet 350, ram jet ZL1, and 2 LS1 engines) i would never, ever install it in a porsche or a vintage ford for that matter.
it would be like putting a dogs heart in a cat.

My advise is to buy the GT3 engine and find a suitable 993 donor, prefferably a higher mileage example.
Worst case you can alway resale the GT3 motor as old 996 Cup cars and tired street cars could use them for continued D.E duty.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting for Cupcar to weigh in.......https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=63304

This guy could do it but told me I wouldn't like it; http://rothsport-racing.com/Products...e-Products.htm

He said It doesn't sound right or feel right;

This guy said way expensive; http://www.chrisgerman.com/

But Cupcar said it best..."there's such a thing as too much power"....(I think he said that!)

Let us know what you decide

'93rsa 3.8
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Having water cooling is not what will keep me away from the newer 911. It is the added complexity of 2 liquid systems to worry about, both with their pumps, lines and radiators!

If the added complexity added reliability, it would be an easier sell, ie - points/no dwell to set, no valve lash to worry about. Yep, that added complexity adds reliability, i'll buy!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Aren't the 993 engine super reliable to begin with.....? With that hy can't there be the addition of having water run along with it to help cool it? Btw will a turbo intercooler work with the c4s?

Quick Reply: GT3 Engine in a 993?