Sponsored by:

New Alternator - Scraping but not fan on housing sides

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Alternator - Scraping but not fan on housing sides

I've had the alt off & on a couple of times so far trying to figure this one out..

The alternator died on the way home in October at the end of the season. I probably should have just ordered one from Pelican but I thought that I was in a hurry at the time and searching revealed that some folks had picked up a decent rebuild at autozone.

I ordered one and during the 1 day wait, removed the old one. One thing led to another and I'm just now getting around to putting her back together. I've got the factory manual diagrams & the couple of links online but just can't get it going..

When I seat the fan onto the shaft and into the housing, I spin the fan & get the most awful metal on metal sound. For quite a while I was convinced that the blades were somehow contacting the housing sides so reseated, etc.

I pulled it out today & put it on the counter where it was warm and I could think.. I put my shop light behind the assembly and can CLEARLY see that the blades are NOT contacting the housing.

Instead I believe that the inner surface of the fan or something thereabouts is making contact with the face of the alternator.

If I lift up ever so slightly on the fan & it stays put, no more sound from contact.

This leads me to speculate one of three things (besides the obvious no-autozone) :

1) The flange that comes out of the alternator front side through which the shaft passes is not the correct thickness (doesn't stick out far enough).

2) There is supposed to be a thrust washer or something that fits between the spacer / sleeve and the afore mentioned flange on the alternator (that I'd be missing and that doesn't show up in any of the diagrams [unlikely].

3) The screw heads on the front of the alternator (the ones that aren't flush mount) are too thick causing a rub..

Looking things over my best guess is 1 which will be fun as I don't know how that works out financially given that my 'good' core is gone.

I've attached some pictures and would appreciate some guidance..
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Post the Bosch part number (assuming it's a rebuilt Bosch unit).

Andreas
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Post the Bosch part number (assuming it's a rebuilt Bosch unit).

Andreas
A quick google on the #s didn't turn up much.

It might have been a Bosch at some point in it's life but it only displays the following numbers now:

14941 (Duralast #)

29175 90059

Just noticed they're so proud of it there's no name on it..

This should be fun.

Thanks!

Last edited by bstrutton; 03-21-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem with a friend's 993. We were missing the sleeve on the shaft between the fan and the alternator. We picked one up from Parts Heaven since it's close to us. I would guess that the sleeve you have is not long enough to clear the alternator.

BTW, our alternator, rebuilt bosch, did not come with the bushing.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

part # 17 is the one we were missing.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Yep. Got # 17 there but looking at this diagram, pelican parts, other links online, even the autozone pic, the flange coming out of the alternator around the front shaft appears in my pictures significantly 'shorter' then what it's supposed to be. Think I'm going to spin by Autozone tomorrow & hope they'll see it too & just refund the money.. Take my licks & call Sunset or someone more reputable..

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bstrutton
Think I'm going to spin by Autozone tomorrow & hope they'll see it too & just refund the money.. Take my licks & call Sunset or someone more reputable.
That sounds prudent.

FWIW, I picked up a remanufactured Bosch alternator from Sunset two years (or so) ago and it was less than $200.

Andreas
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Originally Posted by AOW162435
That sounds prudent.

FWIW, I picked up a remanufactured Bosch alternator from Sunset two years (or so) ago and it was less than $200.

Andreas
Update: For what it's worth Autozone thought it might have been a fluke & wanted to order another alternator. Same problem -very thin collar coming out of the front of the alternator. They were nice enough to take it back & refund the alternator & my core that I turned in in Oct

Andreas, you mentioned that you picked up an alt from Sunset for < $200. I just checked with them and the only reman they have is a Porsche reman at $636.. Guess I'll go Pelican unless anyone else has a suggestion..

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bstrutton
Guess I'll go Pelican unless anyone else has a suggestion..

Thanks!
We haven't had any issues or returns with this alternator recently, so you're probably good with the one from us.

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
bstrutton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
We haven't had any issues or returns with this alternator recently, so you're probably good with the one from us.

-Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Tried to grab one from ya but you guys are killing me with this 3p cutoff time [even called to check -rejected].. What's the point of having the state of California 3 hours back from us ET guys if we can't leverage it to get a last minute order on the truck ... $3 shipping to make Friday vs $31 so now I at least gotta check for a Bosch somewhere locally first in the morning..
Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

3-Days for $3 is pretty darn good. $31 for 2-day on an alternator, also not too terrible either!

-Wayne
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

1. It appears that the spacer, i.e. the one that came on the alternator (not the sleeve)
may be the wrong one (too short), as there were two 964/993 compatible type alternators.
The later used a larger bearing which had shorter spacer. The early type had the
small 6303 bearing and required the longer spacer. So if one received an early type
alternator, the rebuilder may have installed the wrong spacer (the short one).

2. The spacer on the alternator in the picture is damaged, i.e. the sleeve 'spun' on the
alt shaft causing the groove in the spacer. That's possibly the result of the fan bearing
failure.

3. The alt shaft is damaged which may result in fan vibrations causing eventual bearing
failure.

Bottom line: You never really know the quality of rebuilt alternators unless you know
who the actual end-rebuilder is, i.e. Even Bosch in many cases sublets their rebuilding
to other manufacturers/suppliers.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
bstrutton
Advanced

LorenFB: I think that your first idea is absolutely the case. The second (non-bosch rebuild) they ordered had the same short collar.

Wayne: Agreed. That 3 day shipping on an alt for $3 bucks was smoking. I just needed it (ok -wanted it) for the weekend and the 3p PST cutoff just killed it. We'll catch ya next time.

Ended up sourcing a Bosch reman locally. Can't wait to get her back on the road. Haven't heard that rumble since mid October and I'm starting to get withdrawls..

In retrospect I have to wonder what a good electrical shop (do those even exist any more) would have charged to just rebuild mine. Maybe next time.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: New Alternator - Scraping but not fan on housing sides