Sponsored by:

Wind Deflector zipper

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
beagling
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wind Deflector zipper

I recently installed new top and headliner and also purchased new wind deflector from Sunset. My 1997 Cab had factory wind deflector option so the mounting hardware was already in place.

To my surprise the zipper that attaches from the wind deflector to the headliner zipper is backwards so the zipper doesn't work obviously.

Quickest fix looks to be to remove the wind deflector material from the wind deflector and turn it upside down. I just didn't want to trash my new wind deflector joint before I ask if anyone has done this? I noticed when I got my new headliner it came with a replacement fabric/zipper so it must be replaceable.

So my question is how do I remove the fabric from the wind deflector? What tools do you recommend if anyone has already done this?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My car had a new top done before I purchased it and the zipper was backwards. Apparently replacement Gahh tops are notorious for this problem.

I believe that the complete fix requires removing the zipper from the top and reversing it, but that is too much work for what it is worth. The interior shop reversed the zipper on the deflector and now the zipper works, but is upside down. So when I install it, I lay the deflector on the folded top, attach and zip the zipper, then install it into the pivots.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM
beagling
Racer

Thanks Vince.

Just to be clear do you know if they cut off the zipper and reattached or did they remove from where it connects to the wind deflector and turn it upside down?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
My car had a new top done before I purchased it and the zipper was backwards. Apparently replacement Gahh tops are notorious for this problem.

I believe that the complete fix requires removing the zipper from the top and reversing it, but that is too much work for what it is worth. The interior shop reversed the zipper on the deflector and now the zipper works, but is upside down. So when I install it, I lay the deflector on the folded top, attach and zip the zipper, then install it into the pivots.
Same here. The company that installed my new convertible top had to reverse the zipper on the deflector. Said it was normal for all new tops.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like they removed the zipper from the fabric and reversed it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
air klwd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new wind stop from Sunset, and in fact had the same issue, I just removed it and and repositioned it , took about 10 minutes to do............easy DIY Harry
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
beagling
Racer

Thanks Harry. Did you do your fix on the wind stop side or the zipper side? If you removed the fabric out of the wind stop how did you open and close the joint that holds the fabric?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM
air klwd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If memory serves me correctly the metal was simply crimped on the ends , I opened one end up slipped out the cover, reversed it and re crimped the end , I'll take a look but I'm sure that's how it went...Harry

Quick Reply: Wind Deflector zipper