Wheel weight differences - Cup II's vs, Targa Speedlines

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Wheel weight differences - Cup II's vs, Targa Speedlines

I have two OEM sets of 17" wheels.

Last fall I commented to a fellow Rennlister that the Targa wheels seemed much heavier than the alloy Cup II's. He said that was not right, the Speedline wheels should be about 5 pounds less. So I attributed the (seemingly) difference to the new tires on the Speedlines.

Today I weighed my Cup II's w/ Michelin Pilots (65%) and they came in 5 lbs. less than the OEM Targa Speedlines w/ new Conti Sport (rears)

The fronts came in 5 lbs. less as well. The Cup II's up front have Yokohama's (50%) vs. the OEM Speedline Targas with the Conti.

I'm sure the tires have a weight difference, but that much? If in fact the Targa wheels are 5 pounds lighter, then the tires have a 10 pound difference between brands?

That is a lot of extra rotational mass. I'm not tracking the car or I'd be shopping for new tires.

I've seen the other posts where a chart is provided with wheel weights, but after my experience today, I'm not sure that info is accurate.

It would be nice to weigh them without the tires to compare actual wheel weight, but I could not.

Other than the chart (I think Bill Verburg provided a link to), has anyone actually weighed their naked wheels to compare?

I'd almost bet the difference in weight is actually the bolts that hold the two-piece Targa rims together.

The Conti's came mounted on the Targa wheels.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If you're really worried about unsprung weight, there are MUCH lighter wheels out there. MY02s come to mind...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was always under the impression that stock Targa wheels were heavier, not lighter. It's hard to imagine a spread of 10 lbs. for different tires of the same size. Given the fact that the Targa is the heaviest of the 3 basic 993 variants I suspect Porsche wasn't too focussed on lightweight rims.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Mr. Goofballdelux, I'm not worried about too much, as I wrote, I'm not tracking the car.

Today's data conflicts with the chart previously posted and I thought I'd share my findings.

Here is a link to the chart :

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

I'm certain I'll end up with a set of MY02's eventually.

The two-piece speedlines look great.

The lady likes to change her shoes once in a while.

Regards,
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (10-11-2022)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Al, you must be as blind as me and reading the question marks that are in that table for Targa wheel weights as 7s?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, the eyes are not as good as they used to be. You guessed correctly, that is exactly what they looked like to me...7's. I had noticed that the data was the same for 7" and 9" wheels and knew that was not right. I should have investigated further. It must have been the sun in my eyes . .

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

(social note). I finally gave up a couple of months ago, marched myself to a Dollar Store a bought a pair of reading glasses in +1.5 (actually, could get away with +1.25). My life is all better now Sad that, at 42, but what you gonna do?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
thedutchguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the targa wheels are a lot stronger imho.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems that an "all-other-things-being-equal" 3-piece wheel would be heavier than a forged wheel since extra material is needed for the flanges and fasteners. The benefit of 3-piece wheels is the modularity allowing for an aftermarket wheel company to build various offsets of the same wheel for many applications. An OEM can afford the tooling and can amortize the cost over many sets of the same wheel.

Quick Reply: Wheel weight differences - Cup II's vs, Targa Speedlines