Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Top Finally Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I was a spectator, I will add my 2 cents worth. Bill had Mike disconnect the power to the motors while the top was up. This will keep it from cycling, and when you are ready to reconnect, just put the top up and the motor is in the right position when the power is re-connected.
This may be a given to you cab guys, but it seemed to be a small detail to a coupe guy.

Coupes Rule

Emerald
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
Since I was a spectator, I will add my 2 cents worth. Bill had Mike disconnect the power to the motors while the top was up. This will keep it from cycling, and when you are ready to reconnect, just put the top up and the motor is in the right position when the power is re-connected.
This may be a given to you cab guys, but it seemed to be a small detail to a coupe guy.

Coupes Rule

Emerald
Glad one of the 3 of us was keeping track of what we were doing!

Yes, this will keep the cab top "transmissions" aligned with the top so that if you need to reconnect it you don't have to realign the assembly.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's see some pics of why we were really there's
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 AM
MM993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Glad one of the 3 of us was keeping track of what we were doing!

Yes, this will keep the cab top "transmissions" aligned with the top so that if you need to reconnect it you don't have to realign the assembly.
Bill,Mike, Emerald. Am I in trouble now?, because I did not disconnected the power to the transmissions. I have only put the top down once.

They are located behind the rear seats - right?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Calling professor Bill.......

Emerald
Old 03-19-2011, 05:14 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you are in any danger at all. As a matter of fact when we did mine I only unplugged one of the rear motors. When I went to press the switch to unlock the motors on the windshield frame we heard the transmission motor engage. No problem I just locked down the top and unplugged the remaining motor. So basically put the top all the way in the closed position and unplug the rear motors. Remember there are 2 plugs back there, one for each motor. And yes they are located behind the rear seats

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 03-19-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arena993
.......you have to get out if the car and put the boot on so why not put the top down as well........
And while you’re at it, with your micro fibre towel whisk off the dust from the rear window and as you fold the top down place the micro fibre towel over the plastic as a liner. Stops the dust and plastic chafing against the hood fabric.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like I am going to be one of the last owners to have the power top still operating. For now, anyway.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had all of my problems with the top latch motors. I have broken two sets to the point where I can not spin the worm drive to get an undamaged section to work with--I am referring to the fix were you split the case and turn the worm drive 90 degrees. I am in maunal mode but for different reason than stated. FVD has some rebuilts available with what they call stronger parts but I just dont know what to do. I am spinning a screwdriver to latch it now. If I do get replacements I do like the idea of using the top button just to latch the top but not lift the top but I have never expereiced any problems of that nature.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:07 PM
MM993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arena993
I don't think you are in any danger at all. As a matter of fact when we did mine I only unplugged one of the rear motors. When I went to press the switch to unlock the motors on the windshield frame we heard the transmission motor engage. No problem I just locked down the top and unplugged the remaining motor. So basically put the top all the way in the closed position and unplug the rear motors. Remember there are 2 plugs back there, one for each motor. And yes they are located behind the rear seats

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Quick Reply: Cab Top Finally Manual