993 Forum 1995-1998

Cab Top Finally Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab Top Finally Manual

I know, I know, what took me so long to do this. It was very easy to do, just 3 full turns of the 2 side bolts, pull back the top and everything falls right into place. Thanks to everyone who has ever posted their advice regarding this.

Has anyone done anything to make sure the 2 bolts don't loosen up further over time? I did make a reference mark with a sharpie to see if they move around.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you do it?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
MM993
Instructor

Just as a precaution. The red light on the dash does grab my eye, but that will pass.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the manual side. I just did mine a few months ago.

Why? The main fuse blew while trying to raise the top after a dinner on the coast with the wife. I loosened the bolts roadside and went home top down (with cold wife complaining.) I replaced the fuse next morning and left it manual (bolts loosened.) It's been discussed before by us cab guys, but you have to get out of the car to install/un-install the boot cover so the whole power aspect is pointless in my mind, it's not like you just power down and drive off.

In "manual mode" you just flip the top down (or up) and use the console switch solely to control the header latches. You get to see that the rear window is folding correctly, will never break a top bow or damage the frame due to a singular failed motor and your outside the car to install the boot cover anyway.

I just gotta look into the header latch sensors and if they are adjustable, my top doesnt always latch down againt the windshield header on the first try.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
djmojo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cab owners, when in the dealer for the wiring harness recall, they also installed all new Cab motors, latch's etc on a recall deal, check it out.....
Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

i converted mine last summer. I have the receipt from the PO of my car showing his troubles w/ the top. I am not going through the same thing he did. Saving my money for my eventual valve guide job
Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Was over at 993BillW's house today and we converted mine to manual. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Thanks Bill.

Mike
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
... It's been discussed before by us cab guys, but you have to get out of the car to install/un-install the boot cover so the whole power aspect is pointless in my mind, it's not like you just power down and drive off.
Exactly! Due to this fact it has never bothered me to manually lower the top back.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MM993
Just as a precaution. The red light on the dash does grab my eye, but that will pass.
We took the bulb out for the indicator in the clock on Mike's car. IIRC it's the bulb between 1 and 2 o'clock.
The "!" light goes out when you hit the "!" reset for that msg.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
MM993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
We took the bulb out for the indicator in the clock on Mike's car. IIRC it's the bulb between 1 and 2 o'clock.
The "!" light goes out when you hit the "!" reset for that msg.
Taking the bulb out is the way to go, but I have tried to pop the clock out before and I couldn't get it to go. Your technique of pulling this thing out would be very helpful.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM993
Taking the bulb out is the way to go, but I have tried to pop the clock out before and I couldn't get it to go. Your technique of pulling this thing out would be very helpful.
Since it was Mike's car I let him pull his out and since he's had his whole dash apart before it was modestly loose for him to do by hand.

I've done it before though, what I use is a (paint) scraping tool, put 1 or 2 strips of black electrical tape along the edge and use that to wedge under the gauges. Just work your way around the gauge until you can get enough grip to pull the clock out. Goes back in much easier.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine's been working great. Are you saying it's inevitable that it will fail? How about other cab owners chime in and maybe we can get a percentage to evaluate the failure rate.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ble2011
Mine's been working great. Are you saying it's inevitable that it will fail? How about other cab owners chime in and maybe we can get a percentage to evaluate the failure rate.
They all work great.....until they don't. Then it's usually $$$.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM
MM993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Since it was Mike's car I let him pull his out and since he's had his whole dash apart before it was modestly loose for him to do by hand.

I've done it before though, what I use is a (paint) scraping tool, put 1 or 2 strips of black electrical tape along the edge and use that to wedge under the gauges. Just work your way around the gauge until you can get enough grip to pull the clock out. Goes back in much easier.
Thanks Bill, perfect info for me!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My car's top was working fine so I just decided with all the other prevailing wisdom to convert to manual. Honestly you have to get out if the car and put the boot on so why not put the top down as well. I'll connect it back when I sell the car. If I were giving free advice to other cab owners I would strongly suggest this conversion. Remember, the best driving is open air driving, not repairing a 993 cab top on a sunny day. Happy motoring!

Mike

Quick Reply: Cab Top Finally Manual