Sponsored by:

Opinion on high mileage '96 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 AM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on high mileage '96 Targa

So, continuing my search for a 993. Saw this one that I quite liked.

http://tinyurl.com/4g2v9kq

Was wondering if someone knowledgeable could chime in on the value of the car given the work it's had done. I don't whether to be concerned because of high mileage, or take comfort in the fact that it's definitely past its 10-year replace and rebuild phase.

On the plus side:
- major engine rebuild in '07 at 90k miles (SAI cleaned, new valve guides, etc.)
- Targa glass and mechanism replaced in '07 (new sunshade in '09)
- PSS10s
- new steering rack and O2 sensors replaced since '09
- new tires, new brake pads
- recent A/C service

Receipts from the engine rebuild:
http://i51.tinypic.com/1z21uue.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/206h0n8.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/1z4ljyo.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/rksa3r.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2d26ols.jpg

On the negative side:
- 105k miles. As much work as it's had done, this will put buyers off when I look to sell it (likely in 2 or 3 years, since I will leave the US)
- wind noise from Targa top.

Thoughts on its value?

Many thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a good question ... I had a similar dilemma trying to price my own car (86k miles and top end done).

The engine work is definitely a plus, not sure that the new Targa top adds a whole lot of value compared to an original one in good working order, but the suspension is nice to have, too.

There are definitely psychological hurdles for people buying cars in terms of mileage, even with a 10-15 year old car. 100k is a pretty big one. Personally, if the car is sound, I wouldn't think twice about the miles, especially if you're set on a Targa, as they are hard to find and it sounds like this one is in exceptional shape. What it means for current value and ultimate resale is harder to peg.

The fact that you will need to sell down the road is another thing to consider. I'd have to think really hard about what you're apt to get for the car later before I'd make an offer on this one. If you were going to keep it forever, that's another story. Then it's buy the right car in the shape you want and amortize the few extra thousand you might spend now over X number of years, and it doesn't really matter. Some of us (myself included) have learned the hard way about walking away from the right car over the price and coming to regret it later when the less expensive car winds up needing something costly. Perhaps the gentleman who bought this car held out and got a good deal on it, only to have to rebuild the engine and replace the Targa assembly, plus I see they swapped out the climate control unit and front oil cooler assembly, too. Those bills are sobering.

Plenty of pricing pundits on here, though, who will weigh in shortly and tell you it's worth only ...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheZealot
Thoughts on its value?
Did you notice that it has a salvaged title? $20K range is my opinion.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 AM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

Vic - thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I went through the bills and gulped many times.

Wow, how did I miss the salvage title?! Thanks for catching that.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

From what I can see from the bills (outside the salvage title), it does not have a "new" targa top...the bill is for the control unit, not the glass. The wear items on the top are all around the motors and cable drives...if they are original (which it looks like from the bills), replacing the glass does nothing for the longevity of the top.

I am also always amazed by what people spend on these cars....astounding how much it is when you pay list!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As much repairs as this car has had, it also has a salvage title and 8 previous owners. It makes me wonder what else is wrong with this car, even with that much work done by the 4th owner at 90K miles back in 2004. Bent frame? bent suspension pieces? all kind of body work? Who can say for certaintly that the $9K targa roof repair was done because of a simple scratch in the glass as he claims? I don't buy it.

This is a $18K-$20K car at best. Not the asking $33K.

There are better examples out there. The real question is how fast you can run from it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cabrio993, I could not say it any better. I would not buy this car for even $15,000 if I knew I had to sell it in a 2-3 year time frame. 100k miles and a salvage title. No thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
BobTheZealot
Intermediate

All - thanks for your thoughts. I passed on the car.

Seller thinks he can sell it as a track car for close to asking price. He's also basing his asking price on what he paid + money put in, which of course ignores the distinct possibility that he overpaid for a salvage title in the first place.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

A targa track car?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! I'd sell you mine for that price, and it's got 1/2 the miles!

Quick Reply: Opinion on high mileage '96 Targa