Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Tire Rack story...with a happy ending!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Tire Rack story...with a happy ending!

I purchased my BBS LMs in December from Eric at SUPREMEPOWER http://www.supremepowerparts.com/home.aspx (no association, etc...) on the recommendation of Tjangi (Gappy). I got a very nice price and excellent service! (Thanks Gap)

I decided I wanted them GOLD. Not a choice for the weak...it was a huge chore to take them apart and find someone to paint them the right color. In my quest for the right gold DAMON at the TIRE RACK tracked down a seller on eBay (on his own innitiative) who had what seemed to be the right color gold in a spray can. It was right and I had a paint shop match the color and professionally paint them.

+1 for Damon...

Then, I ordered tires from him and he told me to bring the tires down to South Bend for a flawless mounting job and road force balance. I did.

+1 damon...again

Next, he brought me back into the shop and wanted to know if they looked right...they looked too small and Damon suggested we upsize them (295s!). At no extra charge he took the tires off and mounted the better sized tires.

+1 Damon...again!

What tire rep is going to ask your opinion on "how the tires look" before letting you pay? Damon is the guy.

I just wanted to post this story for those 993 owners who are going to buy new tires for their cars. Damon knows his stuff and gave great service at a great price. I have no association with him or the Tire Rack but thought that I would share this good story....it was nice to have someone care about my new tires and wheels as much as I care about my Porsche 993! Thanks Damon. (I received the extra BBS peice today and will send it to you...thanks for the loan!)

Damon Witters/Tire Rack
800-428-8355 ext. 643

PS. My new wheels still looked as good as new after mounting.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Kudos to Damon. I've never spoken with him, but order several sets of tires a year on TireRack and always list his name since he is active on Rennlist. Great to hear that when you need him, he'll take care of you.

ABCar- your wheels are beautiful. I've been thinking about getting some lately, although I'll probably do black centers. Sounds like I have alot of fun in store...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

More pics of the wheels please!

Andreas
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Yeah! What he said!

Thanks Andy! The wheels are truly gorgeous. I'll tell you, I didn't think the hunt for BBS gold would be as involved as it ended up being. I wanted Andy to weigh in on the sizing before we balanced them because I know the HTR Z III tires run a bit narrow and that the lips on the LM's are a bit thick. Looks like a 235/295 combo is really more like 225/285 from some others. Thanks for also being patient and willing to make the time to come back for your back wheels 4 days later. To have 6 hours of total driving time into this indicates that you really wanted the job done perfect, and I could sense that. You'll have to bring her down one Saturday soon so I can see it finished. In the meantime we'll all be waiting for the pictures!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Nice positive story and thanks for posting
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Damon,

My Work Wheels are going to show up from Japan some time this spring and I will need to get some new tires. I live a few miles from the big Tire Rack facility out by BDL. Do you think I could go there and get the same special care you gave Andy?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Kudos to Damon. I've never spoken with him, but order several sets of tires a year on TireRack and always list his name since he is active on Rennlist. Great to hear that when you need him, he'll take care of you.

Yes, and it was cool to go see their huge facility...impressive. The owner of TIRE RACK who is about 80 years old according to Damon, and was ON THE LINE with the other guys mounting tires.

ABCar- your wheels are beautiful. I've been thinking about getting some lately, although I'll probably do black centers. Sounds like I have alot of fun in store...
It was a bit of work but if you get together with a buddy or a beer, you can make it a "wheel party". Good luck with your project.

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
First nice day is coming soon...with pictures to follow.

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Yeah! What he said!

Thanks Andy! The wheels are truly gorgeous. I'll tell you, I didn't think the hunt for BBS gold would be as involved as it ended up being. I wanted Andy to weigh in on the sizing before we balanced them because I know the HTR Z III tires run a bit narrow and that the lips on the LM's are a bit thick. Looks like a 235/295 combo is really more like 225/285 from some others.
The 235/295 looks great. Just meaty enough...just right for Sumi's. I'll drive it down on a nice Saturday, Damon.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Hey Damon,

My Work Wheels are going to show up from Japan some time this spring and I will need to get some new tires. I live a few miles from the big Tire Rack facility out by BDL. Do you think I could go there and get the same special care you gave Andy?
I'm in our Indiana warehouse, and it's the only one we do customer installs at. Sorry.

Quick Reply: My Tire Rack story...with a happy ending!