Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Last pic is too funny!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Thanks guys! I got a kick out of that last picture too, glad we went through the effort to do it.

I dropped the engine to do a LWF and new clutch primarily as my current one is almost gone. Also, I'm going to do an AWDectomy since it is very easy to get the torque tube out with engine gone. I do a lot of time trials so the 100 lbs will make a difference for me. And, of course all the while I'm in there stuff like, plugs, wires, dist rebuild, caps, rotors, valve cover gaskets, chain tensioner gaskets, PS belt, new clutch slave, new clutch slave rubber line, lifters, fuel filter, SAI port clean, RMS, Wevo engine mounts, rennline rear subframe solid mounts, rennline gusset kit for engine carrier...I think that gets most of it but I'm sure I'm missing stuff. Bottom line, I'll be a busy guy for the next couple weeks!!!
Don't forget the seal on the crankcase vent and O-ring for the oil pressure sending unit . They are on top of the engine and under the VarioRam, so you might want to do those as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
how many miles on your car? not doing top end?
85k and oil consumption is below average from what I see people post on rennlist. I've never thrown a CLE for SAI issues and I'll be cleaning out the ports. I feel the engine is strong and does not warrant a top end at this point. Besides, if I need it in a few years I'll get to drop everything again and do a bunch of other maintanence keeping things fresh.

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Don't forget the seal on the crankcase vent and O-ring for the oil pressure sending unit . They are on top of the engine and under the VarioRam, so you might want to do those as well.
Good suggestions, these were not on my list!

A question to everyone...would you do a sound pad or not (meaning leave it out completely)??? I like the extra noise but am somewhat concerned about the heat transfer. Does anyone know how much the sound pad actually reduces cabin heat, if any?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Default More pics from last night!

Okay, here is the next installment of the project.

Here is the engine before I started tearing it down.
Name:  P3140136.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  136.3 KB

Another shot of the engine...my wife came out to the garage and had this view and said, "wow, it's bigger than I thought...it looks like a giant *****". I laughed and then looked at it at this angle...I couldn't argue!
Name:  P3140137.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  147.6 KB

The cat...all I can say is thank god for impact wrenches and Kroil as those rusty bolts would have been a real chore without one. I'll be getting new hardware and sandblasting everything before reinstallation.
Name:  P3140133.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  113.9 KB

The heater core (not sure what it's actually called) that sits above the cat. It was at this stage in the process that I thought to myself, "how the hell are you going to get this all back together!" I then went to the beer fridge for some more liquid courage, took some pictures and made some notes for my memory, and pressed on. I couldn't help but think how complex and heavy all this is just for some simple heat! I'm not one to question the Porsche engineers but what about an electric heater unit mounted in the front of the car??? It would have made the engine design easier and less expensive...and saved a good 30+lbs once you take out the whole system needed to get the hot air from the rear of the car all the way to the cabin.
Name:  P3140143.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  117.7 KB

This is a shot of one of the double sided bolts that go into the engine case to hold on the engine carrier. These looked kind of rough so I'll likely replace them. The impact wrench is your friend on these.
Name:  P3140146.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  108.9 KB

And here is everything removed including the rear half of the engine tin giving me access to the chain tensioner covers. I'll be sending the engine carrier out to be welded with the gusset kit and then powdercoated. And, yes that is a nice big couch in my garage...and no, I have not had to use it at night...yet! We'll see how long this project takes
Name:  P3140151.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  143.8 KB
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing a DMF in the near future too. I am planning on replacing the engine pad. I just haven't decieded on the Porsche one or one of those fancy foil jobs.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't those engines purty? Dang, dude, that's a lot of work you're going to do...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Default The case of the stripped engine tin bolt!!!

Okay folks, time for a quick update. I only had a couple hours to work on things last night and unfortunately my progress was limited to getting the 8 or so bolts needed to get the side engine tins off. A fellow 993 friend, Nick (NickyP), came over to check things out and we decided he was bad luck because the moment he walked in the garage and I started on this bolt things got ugly I was removing one of the allen head bolts from the side of the engine that holds the muffler hanger and engine tin on...you know, those same bad quality bolts that hold our seat in place...well, with moderate effort the bolt stripped...it was even pre-soaked with Kroil! No problem, right...just use a bolt extractor or even drill it out...wrong! The damn muffler hanger bracket prevents any real access with a drill unless you have an 8 inch + bit...even my 90 degree angle drill would not fit. There were only two options that we saw, dremel a slit in the bolt to try and break it loose or drill the head out. Knowing it was soft metal I figured it would drill out fairly easily and I would attack it from a couple different angles around the bracket. About 30 minutes later the head was nothing more than a pile of shavings! It was a slow night. No worries, tonight is a new day and I'm ready to press on!

Name:  P3150004.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  P3150007.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job !

You should consider yourself as a lucky guy with that damned bolt ! I've had the same issue last winter with the engine on... Bolt extractors didn't work, I also tried to get room by "dremmelling" the washer (imagine the job), unsuccessful...
Finally I decided to drill through the bolt to fill in the back with oil... that could have been a nice idea if my drill did not break inside...At the end I drilled at the same diameter of the bolt and had to make a new thread...
Put a lot of loctite and so far that's ok!!
Probably spent about 12 hours laid down in the garage during the winter and no couch ...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM
RFFG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the picture of you 3 is hilarious

keep up the nice work
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this knowledge and lessons learned... Good to save for the future. Thanks for posting! Keep the pics coming, lets everyone live vicariously...
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Whaddaya' mean bad luck!!?? I still can't believe the threaded shaft came out after you mutilated the head of that bolt. Man, I'm GOOD luck!! Ha ha. I enjoyed the visit last night, I'll be back.

Nick
Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NickyP
Whaddaya' mean bad luck!!?? I still can't believe the threaded shaft came out after you mutilated the head of that bolt. Man, I'm GOOD luck!! Ha ha. I enjoyed the visit last night, I'll be back.

Nick
You keep telling yourself that

I was told by a p-car mechanic friend of mine that he uses only snap-on allen sockets for this exact reason...apparently their tolerances and material are far superior to mortal tools. They also have a superior price tag of $120!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Default Next Chapter: RUST!!!

Last night I moved away from the engine and worked on cleaning up the engine bay a bit. I had read a couple threads on here about a weak point in the factory paint/sealing of the rear plate/bumper bracket. I noticed where the issue was right away...a channel where all the dirt/road grime can sit and never get cleaned out. I knew I'd never sleep well again unless I took the plates off...part of me didn't want to because I'd have to cut into some of the factory undercoating to release the piece from the body but looking at the top where there was not a proper seal made me really nervous so I did it. I'm glad (if finding rust can make anyone glad!!!) I did!

This shows the problem part/area in the upper right hand side of the picture...notice the undercoating on the bottom side...this is what should have been sprayed on the top side as well.
Name:  P3160041.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  77.2 KB

Here is a shot of where the moisture gets in...notice all the black/wet dirt in the channel between the piece and the body.
Name:  P3160043.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  76.5 KB

RUST!!! Thankfully it is just surface rust but there was evidence of pitting in the bad parts so it was certainly starting to eat through the metal.
Name:  P3160001.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  P3160008.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  71.5 KB

My weapon of choice! I decided to use an air etcher (mini sandblaster) instead of taking a grinding wheel to it...I felt I could do a more precise preparing the metal for paint and thus keep things as "factory" as possible when I'm all finished. It worked great. I used 250 grit aluminum oxide media.
Name:  P3160011.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  78.6 KB

All cleaned up!
Name:  P3160014.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  62.8 KB

The top corner of the support piece was showing some rust as well....
Name:  P3160021.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  68.8 KB

All cleaned up!
Name:  P3160033.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  64.8 KB

Everything rust free...I can sleep at night
Name:  P3160037.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  74.5 KB

Cleaned with alcohol, taped up and ready for primer...stay tuned for the finished product
Name:  P3160040.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme

RUST!!! Thankfully it is just surface rust but there was evidence of pitting in the bad parts so it was certainly starting to eat through the metal.
Attachment 521257

Attachment 521258
Dang man, that's not RUST, that's just a bit of corrosion.
The photo i've attached shows rust.

Adam, it seems that you are having quite the journey with Ruby.

Have a great time.

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Adam,
Good catch. I would use an etching primer (ex: Duplicolor makes one that is green).

Where did you purchase that 'mini media blaster'? I have a full-size bead blasting cabinet, but that's an interesting piece.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Dropped the engine over the weekend w/pics