Sponsored by:

TPC supercharger install completed - Long

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
MKT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thnx for answers.

@haygeebaby: following your topic too. Curious about your experiences with tiptronic. I'm having a C2S, with tip too. Did you ever hear/read about someone with a tip and SC experience?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Thought I would update this thread for the future in case others go this route using the TPC kit.
I have been generally very satisfied with the unit and performance. The extra power makes the car much more fun to drive in all conditions, and even at DE days at a fast track, the intercooler seems to do a good job. I had an IAT added as well to monitor.
There were a couple of instances of minor on/off throttle at very low speeds the system would hiccup and try to stall and also from cold early spring to hot summer the car would run richer. To try to address this, this past winter we did remove the unichip system and 7/8th injectors and went to larger turbo injectors and remapping the stock ECU (the shop used protomotive). In nearly all conditions I think the fueling is better - it just feels more factory, about flawless in all conditions, and seems to adjust to changes in temperature from early spring to mid summer better. It was a bit easier to tune as well. I would recommend considering this approach instead of the piggyback unichip system if someone is starting an install on their car. And I'd highly recommend the SC if you are considering it.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the update!

I'm surprised to hear that you have no problems with charge air temperatures during DEs...!?
Have you checked your intake air temps at track? What range are they in?

I couldn't get the TPC intercooler working at track, even after modifying the piping and upgrading the pump etc. The coolers were just too small and inefficient.
I'm not sure if you followed my build thread but I ended up going with large GT2RS air/air intercoolers instead.

I would be very interested in hearing about your intake temps at track.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Juha
yes i really enjoyed your thread and even sent the link to my shop as a possible next step depending on AIT in warmer weather. Was very jealous of and impressed with your skills. I was also concerned which is why I had an AIT sensor installed to see and then decide.
Was at the track this past weekend and it was only 70F degree max so it wasn't a hot day. Intake temps were OK, never above 105F. (that is 21C ambient up to 40C AIT). This is considered a fast track with a couple of long straights (BIR in minnesota) so got a fair amount of use for 20-30 minute sessions. To be safe my car runs a little richer than it could at WOT figuring that is safer than a bit leaner with this setup. Our temps will heat up in summer and then will see where its at. I know the differential is important but what I don't know is at what absolute temp does performance become an issue.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 AM
sturm
Racer

Thanks for the updates. I'm hoping to make the drive (1700 mi) out there to have Auto Edge do my install later this year.

I'm glad to hear that Protomotive can burn a chip that works with the SC; the unichip/7th injector looks a bit clunky.

Keep the updates coming! Thanks

'93rsa 3.8
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Any issues with CEL? It looks like you kept your SAI pump? Does it pass emissions?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Have never had a CEL problem. We do not have emissions testing here. Without the Cats I doubt it would pass emissions. I used the fabspeed sport cat for awhile and I am told that can pass emissions so would recommend if that is a concern. Didn't notice any real appreciable change on the dyno, I just prefer the sound with cat bypass
Old 05-21-2013, 06:02 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Wow. that is quite a trip. Its a good shop. Just spend double time being sure they have everything you need ahead of time and in the shop. Its not an issue living close by but your time frame may be different. Also, coordinating with protomotive to be a fast turnaround once at that stage.
Good luck, you will love it.

Originally Posted by sturm
Thanks for the updates. I'm hoping to make the drive (1700 mi) out there to have Auto Edge do my install later this year.

I'm glad to hear that Protomotive can burn a chip that works with the SC; the unichip/7th injector looks a bit clunky.

Keep the updates coming! Thanks

'93rsa 3.8
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Juha
yes i really enjoyed your thread and even sent the link to my shop as a possible next step depending on AIT in warmer weather. Was very jealous of and impressed with your skills. I was also concerned which is why I had an AIT sensor installed to see and then decide.
Was at the track this past weekend and it was only 70F degree max so it wasn't a hot day. Intake temps were OK, never above 105F. (that is 21C ambient up to 40C AIT). This is considered a fast track with a couple of long straights (BIR in minnesota) so got a fair amount of use for 20-30 minute sessions. To be safe my car runs a little richer than it could at WOT figuring that is safer than a bit leaner with this setup. Our temps will heat up in summer and then will see where its at. I know the differential is important but what I don't know is at what absolute temp does performance become an issue.
I can vouch that clib's car pulls very strongly on the track. We were in the same run group and he pulled easily from my 964 on the long straight. Of course, he also pulled away from me in the corners, too.

Anyway, Bill, it was great meeting you, and I hope to see you at the track again soon.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Damonr
8th Gear

I was fortunate enough to spend the day at BIR yesterday, thanks to Nord Stern and Auto Edge for sponsoring/hosting this event. I also met Bill (clib) and was given not only a thorough tour of his car but also a ride out on the highway, very impressive and thanks again Bill.

I purchased my 95 993 from a Ford dealer in 1998 therefore I did not obtain any history. About one month ago (yes 15 years later) I found out my car has a G5021 so this was also the first time I have been able to ride in a 993 with a G5020 and distinguish the ratio differences. All in all a great day.

Damon

Quick Reply: TPC supercharger install completed - Long