993 Forum 1995-1998

C2S vs C4S value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Brad Baker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2S vs C4S value?

Can anyone tell me the expected price/value difference between a 993 C2S or a C4s? If all else is equal, color (Blk), condition, mid 30K ish miles, yr, hopefully aero kit . How much more should one pay for a C4s over a C2s?
I owned a 02 C4s for eight years, very nice car, C2s was not available when I ordered it. Often thought a C2s would have been "enough" for me tho. I see more C4s's for sale 96-97 , than C2s.

There is a strong chance I will purchase thru Mike Willhoit as he is a couple of hours from me, but I know his cars bring a premium. also looking on the internet of course. But have trouble deciding how much more the C4s is worth. Any input would be helpful, Thanks, Brad
Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because the sticker price was more on a C4S doesn't necessarily mean it is worth more now. A lot of people will tell you on this board that a C2S is more rare and more desirable than a C4S due to lower production numbers and it being only rear wheel drive which follows in line with the original "911", rear engined, rear wheel drive platform.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

however, neither is rare, although a really good example likely is.

The C4S actually had improvements on it - big reds, etc. The 2S was basically a regular 993 with a leftover widebody put on it.

So, if you want to pay extra for JUST the looks, then by all means. If you want AWD (like the turbo, like the 959) and big reds, then a 4S.

The weight difference is negligible, and the amount of torque going to the front wheels under normal conditions is very small, so on a day-to-day you won't notice a big difference. You can also easily convert a AWD to a RWD, but you cannot make a 2S a 4S.

Yes, I am biased.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by Brad Baker
Can anyone tell me the expected price/value difference between a 993 C2S or a C4s?
The market has them valued fairly equal. I think that once you've decided you want a WB 993, then it's basically a RWD vs AWD issue. For sure you get "more" with a 4S, however sometimes "less is more." Make sense?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

it all comes down to who wants all wheel drive, and who wants rear wheel drive as prices seem to be par all things considered.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Brad Baker
Advanced

Interesting. I would have not thought they would be valued the same. The AWD and red turbo brakes are nice features. After recently selling my 09 TT I really want a car that will not drop in value like a rock.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

perhaps the C4S being the higher MSRP with big reds and TT suspension, has now subsided the higher resale to the C2S in part to the characteristics of lower production numbers and nostalgic rear wheel drive of the C2S?

With 993 platform reaching 15 year old+, buyers are probably looking for lower production number models to park as classic investments and do not require the daily driving ability of all wheel drive nor the additional maintenance. .....

the purists are affecting the market
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Brad Baker
Advanced

I have a 09 Cayenne TT, so this car will just be for fun. I don't want to spend the $ for the super low mi 993's. wanting to spend under 50K, hoping it will "somewhat" hold its value.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

If you can find two otherwise truly identical cars (year, colour combo, options, mileage, service history, PPI results), the C2S would probably get the "which is worth more?" vote. However, I highly doubt that you will ever come across two such cars at the same time.

Personally, I like the NB but if I just had to have a WB, I think I'd go C4S because it has some extra hardware (AWD and Turbo brakes) to go with the looks.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Near the end of the 993 production the 2S was a no charge WB option to the standard Carrera. They used 17" NB wheels with spacers and usually had 100% genuine vinyl interiors.

Couple of cool touches where the textured material used on the gauge cluster and the painted tail.

I never thought I would see a day that people valued them more then a 4S though, if that is a fact.

I would think "the less is more" crowd would opt for a NB coupe over the more weight of the wide bodies.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I think about the only way the value is going to drop like a stone at this point is if you over pay for a superlow mileage pristine car and then actually drive it. The price is pretty fair right now on cared for reasonable mileage cars and while it will continue to gradually go down, it won't be a lot - but there is a big jump for those rare very low mile cars, especially sold at the dealers specializing in those - and even another 15-20K miles driving will take a big hit down to 'normal' prices.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Near the end of the 993 production the 2S was a no charge WB option to the standard Carrera. They used 17" NB wheels with spacers and usually had 100% genuine vinyl interiors.

Couple of cool touches where the textured material used on the gauge cluster and the painted tail.

I never thought I would see a day that people valued them more then a 4S though, if that is a fact.

I would think "the less is more" crowd would opt for a NB coupe over the more weight of the wide bodies.
In my opinion, the WB cars have slightly more beautiful lines than the NB (personal preference, obviously), and I prefer the RWD experience to the AWD. For pure performance, yeah the logical thing seems to go to the NB, or if you want AWD, maybe the C4S. But to me, the 993 C2S represents the pinnacle of the air-cooled 911 evolution, while keeping with the RWD. To my taste, the C2S is a perfect GT car, and has the most beautiful natural lines to come out of an automobile manufacturer. I don't want a race car, there are other cars that are much more suitable for the chase after ultimate performance. I think others might feel the same way, and this, in combination with their limited years and numbers, have served to drive up the desirability of the C2S.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Really...the C2S was a no charge option to the NB Carrera. If you say it's so, you must know, but I had no idea. I've also never seen one with a vinyl interior, just like I've never seen a NB 993 with 16" wheels as the window sticker claims were standard (I've only seen 17" and 18" wheels)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Being both cars exactly the same, you'll get more car for your money with a C4s, and you get more desirable car for your money with a C2s. It depends on what are you looking for. Both are awesome and you'll get your money's worth. One way or the other...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Having owned multiple 993's and also currently in market for another I will tell you that there is a difference.

AWD 993's "feel" and drive differently than 2WD cars. It's not a good or bad thing, but there is a discernable difference in the driving feel and response of the vehicle.

I'm personally back in the market for a RWD WB 993 as my favorite 993's have always been RWD. While the BIG REDS are a nice option to have on the car, the standard brakes I had on my C2's were strong and in some cases as good as the "Reds".

I don't plan to track my 993 as I prefer a dedicated track car (once you go track setup, you can't go back!) so visceral feel and linear performance plus a WIDE rear end are my prescription to happiness.

Quick Reply: C2S vs C4S value?