Sponsored by:

Leaf, Cayman or 993?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leaf, Cayman or 993?

Ok so I am all over the place on a DD for my 50 mile round trip commute. I have the TT for my fun car and was planning on selling my FJ cruiser and try to go a bit greener for my commuter. I'm on the reserve list for a Nissan Leaf electric car. I think most of you would agree that the leaf falls very low on the list of "guy" cars but the idea of driving electric for my 50 mile a day commute is intriguing....and very boring.

Lately, however, I've been toying with the idea of a good used Cayman or 993. I'm going to be piling 20k miles a year on the car though. Would love your input on Cayman vs 993. I like the idea of a 2006-2008 Cayman rather than a 15 year old 993. Thoughts? Also I really prefer a manual but am I being unrealistic for Atlanta commuter traffic?

And if any of you are so inclined, feel free to push me toward the Leaf!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

"Leaf, Cayman or 993?" Is this an early April Fool's joke?!?!?!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

maintenance and running cost will probably be a big difference with the Leaf especially if gas goes $4+ per gallon. If you spend a lot of time in traffic a Porsche while trendy is sort of a waste
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For piling on miles, I would go with a Leaf, or Plug-in Prius if you can wait. I think the new Prius is a 2012?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Life is too short to drive a Prius or Leaf. I have a 993 that I use as a DD April through November unless it's nasty out or there is a threat of nastiness. Even pimped out for the track its perfectly serviceable and dead reliable in fact the most reliable car I have owned. Of course the reliability could be that I service the crap out of it. Having said that the Cayman is a very attractive alternative and probably better for most as a DD.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

caymen
Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The leaf is a girls car!!! If it has to be a hybrid, go with the Honda crz
Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 200 Posts

Volt.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How does a 50 mile roundtrip commute turn into 20K/yr? Even if you're working 300 days a year, that's 15K. I can't imagine a Leaf working in that scenario.

Basically, how much do you want to spend? If you're cash pinched, and your commute is boring stop-and-go, sure get an automotive appliance that minimizes operating costs. Don't forget depreciation in the mix. It's not all about the pump price.

Ultimately if you're spending 1-2 hours a day in something, do you want to hate the experience? Again, if you're struggling all bets are off. I'm at nearly 10K of use in the past four months with the C4S. The difference in ~20mpg-on-premium driving (even at current prices) and ~25mpg-on-regular is $400? And that's if I could even manage 25mpg in the mountains with an AWD "something".
Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely get rid of the FJ. I sure don't miss mine!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at it from the other side and the techie part. Id be in my garage trying to set up a solar charging system and Id be tweaking the car from the get go.
Im actually going to try to build my own local Electric car in my shop, solar charging etc... just for something to do.

I Really see no shame in having a leaf or any other electric car. They will get cooler, and more mainstream soon enough. Just look at it from all angles and see if it makes sense for YOU and your $$$
Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Personally, i would use the TT as the daily and sell the FJ. (unless the TT is a garage queen)

If the TT is too perfect to battle everyday use, then a a little caymen or 993 tip would be fun.
But since you already own a killer 993, i cant see you doing a plain jane 993 tip...

ever consider a 997 C4? Basic, all-wheel drive two door transportation.
This would be the great match to the TT show car....
Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Get an older Audi TT. Fun car, fuel efficient and fairly easy to maintain due to VW parts.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What $$ will you lose from selling a 2-3 year old FJ (depreciation) to get a new Leaf? And how does that loss equate over time with the saved petrol costs? What's the actual cost of owning a Leaf over the long run? If the TCO of a Leaf is really low, then go for it.

If you simply want to be practical then get a common, inexpensive and reliable Japanese used mpg car that is safe and comfortable enough to make your daily commutes. Who cares if it's boring. It's a commute. Bring your latte and brioche with you, put it in D, and turn on the radio. And relax while getting 30+ mpg with minimal upkeep.

On your days off and the weekends, you'll appreciate using the FJ (esp if it's a good 4x4 and 'outdoors' type car) and driving your 993TT that much more
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jes999
"Leaf, Cayman or 993?" Is this an early April Fool's joke?!?!?!
It does sound like one but....no. Just can't decide which way to go.

Originally Posted by jimq
maintenance and running cost will probably be a big difference with the Leaf especially if gas goes $4+ per gallon. If you spend a lot of time in traffic a Porsche while trendy is sort of a waste
I agree running costs will be a lot less. Cost isn't my main motivator....just sort of feel like I could be a little more responsible and get the electric for my commute.

Originally Posted by dcdude
For piling on miles, I would go with a Leaf, or Plug-in Prius if you can wait. I think the new Prius is a 2012?
If I'm going green, I'm going all the way and go full electric.

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Life is too short to drive a Prius or Leaf. I have a 993 that I use as a DD April through November unless it's nasty out or there is a threat of nastiness. Even pimped out for the track its perfectly serviceable and dead reliable in fact the most reliable car I have owned. Of course the reliability could be that I service the crap out of it. Having said that the Cayman is a very attractive alternative and probably better for most as a DD.
True but I feel like there can be a little balance too. Give a little, get a little. But that's my dilemma....I feel I want to be responsible but wouldn't sure would be fun to drive a Caymen too!

Originally Posted by shadow993
The leaf is a girls car!!! If it has to be a hybrid, go with the Honda crz
Couldn't agree more. But I don't want a hybrid. As I said, If I'm not going Porsche I'm going full electric.

Originally Posted by ilko
Volt.
Too pricey and not full electric

Originally Posted by race911
How does a 50 mile roundtrip commute turn into 20K/yr? Even if you're working 300 days a year, that's 15K. I can't imagine a Leaf working in that scenario.

Basically, how much do you want to spend? If you're cash pinched, and your commute is boring stop-and-go, sure get an automotive appliance that minimizes operating costs. Don't forget depreciation in the mix. It's not all about the pump price.

Ultimately if you're spending 1-2 hours a day in something, do you want to hate the experience? Again, if you're struggling all bets are off. I'm at nearly 10K of use in the past four months with the C4S. The difference in ~20mpg-on-premium driving (even at current prices) and ~25mpg-on-regular is $400? And that's if I could even manage 25mpg in the mountains with an AWD "something".
You're right, I'm factoring in other driving also. Commuter miles would be more like 12k/year. Cash isn't the issue either. Although, after the Federal $7500 tax credit and the Georgia $5000 tax credit the $32000 Leaf gets pretty appealing form a price perspective.

Originally Posted by Paul K
Definitely get rid of the FJ. I sure don't miss mine!
I like mine....I've had two but I'm tired of the terrible side and rear visibility

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Personally, i would use the TT as the daily and sell the FJ. (unless the TT is a garage queen)

Its pretty much a garage queen.

If the TT is too perfect to battle everyday use, then a a little caymen or 993 tip would be fun.
But since you already own a killer 993, i cant see you doing a plain jane 993 tip...

ever consider a 997 C4? Basic, all-wheel drive two door transportation.
This would be the great match to the TT show car....
As for the 997, I was wondering about that too. Agree, the whole idea of a tip is almost as hard to accept as the homely leaf!

Quick Reply: Leaf, Cayman or 993?