Leaf, Cayman or 993?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
If I'm going green, I'm going all the way and go full electric.
Comments like this on a Porsche forum are mildly amusing. At least to me.

Your results may vary.

Andreas
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

IMO, full electric is any thing but green. Last time I looked we burn lots of coal to make electricity in this country. Sounds good, though. It also means more raw material mined out of the earth, processed and manufacturing to make a new car. Also, who knows what may pop up as weak points in these cars?

Go with a used car (Cayman or 993) and recycle.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
IMO, full electric is any thing but green. Last time I looked we burn lots of coal to make electricity in this country. Sounds good, though. It also means more raw material mined out of the earth, processed and manufacturing to make a new car. Also, who knows what may pop up as weak points in these cars?

Go with a used car (Cayman or 993) and recycle.
Bingo.

Andreas
Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
If you simply want to be practical then get a common, inexpensive and reliable Japanese used mpg car that is safe and comfortable enough to make your daily commutes. Who cares if it's boring. It's a commute. Bring your latte and brioche with you, put it in D, and turn on the radio. And relax while getting 30+ mpg with minimal upkeep.

On your days off and the weekends, you'll appreciate...driving your 993TT that much more
If you add in sketchy parking on the destination end, that's exactly what I did in my used '02 Corolla for a 42 mile bumper to bumper round trip to downtown LA for 6 years. I understand that Atlanta traffic is at least as bad. When I got fed up with that, I started taking the bus. So much nicer: take a nappie, e-mail on the Blackberry, invigorating walk at the end, no stress...

If you really want to be green, the natural gas Honda Civic GX is still the king: http://www.greenercars.org/highlights_greenest.htm

Last edited by dcdude; 03-14-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 877 Likes on 442 Posts

Another used 993 could be in the shop a lot and a stick is a pain (for me) in bad traffic. I'd go with the ultra reliable Cayman. I wouldn't get a first year model of anything if I didn't have to (Leaf).
Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For under $30K you can get a real nice 2007 Cayman. Definitely the way to go.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Simple. You already have a 993. Electrics are only good for the golf course. Only choice left, Cayman. Use, reuse, recycle.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
How does a 50 mile roundtrip commute turn into 20K/yr? Even if you're working 300 days a year, that's 15K. I can't imagine a Leaf working in that scenario.

Basically, how much do you want to spend? If you're cash pinched, and your commute is boring stop-and-go, sure get an automotive appliance that minimizes operating costs. Don't forget depreciation in the mix. It's not all about the pump price.

Ultimately if you're spending 1-2 hours a day in something, do you want to hate the experience? Again, if you're struggling all bets are off. I'm at nearly 10K of use in the past four months with the C4S. The difference in ~20mpg-on-premium driving (even at current prices) and ~25mpg-on-regular is $400? And that's if I could even manage 25mpg in the mountains with an AWD "something".
Prolly not... I drive either a Saab 9-3 2.0T (FWD) or a MB E350 4Matic Wagen to and from my mountain. No stop and go traffic with only 5 stop signs and no traffic lights. Also, my mountain is probably more benign terrain wise. I get 26 mpg in the Saab (a very fuel efficient car) and 20mpg in the MB.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Well....I can't say that I expected a clear direction from this group but definitely seems to be about as mixed as my own head right now. If the moment I'm leaning toward a 2007 cayman.....manual. My "life is short" view is taking over my "be responsible" view. And the wife and daughter both are pushing for a Cayman or 997. Even they don't want to ride in my Leaf!!. Any pros or cons in service issues and cost with a Cayman versus 997?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I used my Cayman as a daily driver for nearly 2 years. It's a great car for that and dynamically, it's amazing on the track when you want to take it out on weekends. Amazingly, though, my 993 got better gas mileage. I can't speak for the 997 vs. Cayman maintenance however, I've found my car to be fairly easy on that front. I've been hearing that the actual real world range of the Leaf differs from the publicized range Nissan put out in that it's actually a shorter range - again...I don't own one and can't speak from experience but it'd suck to get stranded if you can't charge up fast enough or conveniently enough to avoid running out of 'gas'.

Oh..one last advantage for the Cayman - great storage space with a hatch out back and a deep trunk out front...almost practical I'd say...
Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Every 993 needs a Cayman in the next garage bay!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Given your selections I would choose a Cayman. I think it would be a blast as a DD. If you sit in traffic I would see no shame in getting PDK either. Just my .02
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Prolly not... I drive either a Saab 9-3 2.0T (FWD) or a MB E350 4Matic Wagen to and from my mountain. No stop and go traffic with only 5 stop signs and no traffic lights. Also, my mountain is probably more benign terrain wise. I get 26 mpg in the Saab (a very fuel efficient car) and 20mpg in the MB.
Right. You don't hit the chain control of "Don't Pass Go" on I-80. That, period, requires an AWD vehicle. At my age, I'm not "chaining up" to go 5 miles from Kingvale to get off at Soda Springs. Nor am I paying $30 on/$15 off.

I really, really, really thought hard about getting a beater Cayenne (such as they exist) for the winter runs. But then I'm getting less than 20MPG, insuring another car, and paying $2K+ in CA sales/use tax. Not paying that has paid for the snow tires + most of the fuel cost of my trips. Plus, I get to drive a 993, and not a POS Cayenne.

I'm absolutely getting cranky on my "life's too short to drive a four door" outlook.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash
Oh..one last advantage for the Cayman - great storage space with a hatch out back and a deep trunk out front...almost practical I'd say...
Just as much in a 911. Record, though in my SC, was 4 mounted race tires + tools/jack/jackstands/etc and gear for two weeks + laptop/electronic gear. AND I had space for a 2.7L engine case on the passenger seat as my first stop was to timesert/level it at my uncle's machine shop the first day of the trip.

Last year the C4S managed a week long trip to Phoenix with the bikes on top, golf clubs in back, and luggage for me. (Wife was there on business already and her luggage flew with her.) Thinking about similar in two week'r up to Yellowstone, etc. this summer. Might put the luggage carrier on the rear; should be able to keep the golf clubs + carrier under the 100 lbs. I'd feel comfortable on the hitch.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Given your selections I would choose a Cayman. I think it would be a blast as a DD. If you sit in traffic I would see no shame in getting PDK either. Just my .02
Yup. I. starting to think Cayman. So any input from all of you on a realistic price range for a 20-30k mile 2007? I would consider a 2008 also but for the fairly hard use I'm going to give a car like that, I don't see any advantage in the additional cost of an '08. Looks like dealers are asking 39-43k for 2007 with as high as mileage in the 40's but I'm guessing thats a bit high? Is $35-40k realistic? Thanks guys.....

Originally Posted by Ash
I used my Cayman as a daily driver for nearly 2 years. It's a great car for that and dynamically, it's amazing on the track when you want to take it out on weekends. Amazingly, though, my 993 got better gas mileage. I can't speak for the 997 vs. Cayman maintenance however, I've found my car to be fairly easy on that front. I've been hearing that the actual real world range of the Leaf differs from the publicized range Nissan put out in that it's actually a shorter range - again...I don't own one and can't speak from experience but it'd suck to get stranded if you can't charge up fast enough or conveniently enough to avoid running out of 'gas'.

I'm pretty comfortable that I can make the leaf work from a mileage perspective. And, based upon other comments here, I'm starting to lean more towards the Cayman rather than a 993 or 997. Sounds like the real decision is Leaf or Cayman. Strange comparison, I know. Appreciate the input. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Leaf, Cayman or 993?