Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car wrap instead of respray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I just painted entire car, should I wrap it? i was thinking of doing entire nose, all the way up to cowling, mirrors, lights... Its another $1500, or save the money, and repaint the nose in a few years?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Spidey 993

BTW, called an auto wrap company here in Colorado. A full wrap is around 3k which includes some graphics. Non-full wrap and just graphics can run $700-$1200 depending on how much.

He stated it helps protect against rock chips, comes off with heat and some sort of alcohol solution that doesn't impact car paint, and lasts about 5 years assuming car isn't parked outside 24/7.

- Tony
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I started the other post about a wrap but I am really only looking at a stripe. I got the idea from the race car of the wrap company owner. It is white but has a black wrap with wild graphics. His company has wrapped several other Porsches in this area and they look good.

One the other side ... I had a very bad experience with a repaint. My car had some fairly serious blemishes in the paint, no dents, that really bugged me. A friend had a neighbor who owns a body shop. They socialize and I met the guy. I saw his custom motorcycle, beautiful. I saw his black mustang show car, beautiful. I saw the Boxster that he had repaired for my friend, beautiful. I saw his Boxster he had repainted ... get the picture? I visited his bodyshop where I saw Chris Dyson's Carerra GT being repainted. It looked like real quality prep. So we talked about what he could do for mine. I was really excited. He said all the right things (glass out, all parts off, restoration) and gave me a bid that I thought was a friend of a friend discount, very reasonable. He said that it takes time to do it correctly so if I was not in a hurry he could work on it around the insurance jobs and make my car an example for his business. I dropped it off in early March. And it went on ... and on ... and on ... . I finally got it back at the end of June after I said I was going to come get it in whatever condition it was in and we'd go from there. I think he painted the car in three days. And it looks good from five feet. But up close? And Chris Dyson's Carrera GT was still there! There was overspray all over everything inside my car. I think he painted other cars in the shop with my car in the area and windows down. Overspray on the inside of the windshield! I've replaced the dash to get rid of the spot made by overspray around the outline of the mirror (must have been sitting on the dash). I've replaced the steering wheel and doorcards. I've scraped the inside of the windshield with a razorblade. There is underspray all over the underside of the car (engine!). I started a punchlist of things that were wrong with the dismantle/reassembly of the car (sunroof wouldn't open, amplifer fried, all tabs on the grill broken, mirror glass loose, ... ) but it got so long I just gave up. I had NO confidence that they could fix the car in less than a year and they would break more stuff. It has been two years now and you can probably tell that it is still a VERY sore spot.

[rant off] Long story short ... get a wrap!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is a GT3 wrapped in CF vinyl. I'm not sure I like the CF but the wrap job looks pretty good.
More pics here....
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...light=gt3+wrap
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see your CF wrapped 996 and Raise you one CF Wrapped Ferrari F40
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisterD
Here is a GT3 wrapped in CF vinyl. I'm not sure I like the CF but the wrap job looks pretty good.
More pics here....
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...light=gt3+wrap
That is SWEET!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that Darin, very interesting. All things considered, I still like this wrap idea. Added problem- now I have a ton of color choices to choose from......
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I see your CF wrapped 996 and Raise you one CF Wrapped Ferrari F40
So...that F40 has carbon fiber body panels that are painted and then wrapped in carbon fiber?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pickering993
Thanks for posting that Darin, very interesting. All things considered, I still like this wrap idea. Added problem- now I have a ton of color choices to choose from......
Do you have a link to colour samples?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
So...that F40 has carbon fiber body panels that are painted and then wrapped in carbon fiber?
Yep you got it..... I have had the pleasure of riding in that car a number of times, it is not stock and seriously fast...... Looks mean too.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Zactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pickering993
If you decide on a color other then matte white, or matte black, you will have to order and pay for the Full roll of that color as most installers will not want to hold a full roll of a color wrap.

These installers will generally tell you that the amount of money it costs to buy a Full roll of wrap in a special color will still not give you the finish of nice shiny paint especially for the money involved. It is questionable.

I considered wrapping a Ford GT in the gulf blue with orange, but the cost for individual rolls to do one car and the questionable result of the finish made me forget about it.

For your 993, i dont think you would want matte black, therefore i would say stick with paint......
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by hoggel
There was overspray all over everything inside my car. I think he painted other cars in the shop with my car in the area and windows down. Overspray on the inside of the windshield! I've replaced the dash to get rid of the spot made by overspray around the outline of the mirror (must have been sitting on the dash). I've replaced the steering wheel and doorcards. I've scraped the inside of the windshield with a razorblade. There is underspray all over the underside of the car (engine!). I started a punchlist of things that were wrong with the dismantle/reassembly of the car (sunroof wouldn't open, amplifer fried, all tabs on the grill broken, mirror glass loose, ... ) but it got so long I just gave up. I had NO confidence that they could fix the car in less than a year and they would break more stuff. It has been two years now and you can probably tell that it is still a VERY sore spot.
That is a NIGHTMARE! I would have ended up in jail for trying to choke the stupidity out of them.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a link to colour samples?
This is funny, I saw the spelling of the word color/colour and thought you were a brit but then I noticed you live in 'trawnnah

I often use ou in 'o' words but it's because I've read so many magazines/books written by British authors, and I'm a yank
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

NinetyOne, send me your email and I'll get you the link. The local shop uses a new 3M product as well as a product from Germany.

Quick Reply: Car wrap instead of respray?