Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Spot the Fake (+ cruiser laps @ Thunderhill)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spot the Fake (+ cruiser laps @ Thunderhill)

Just like the thread title says..........spot the fake.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QIs0SUTFM

Friend of some of us (and getting to be a contributor over on the Racing Forum) was my passenger here as, until his race car is built, he brought up his wife's 997 to get some four wheeled experience. Ex-bike racer we knew from the autocross days.

So ~200 lbs of passenger, plus one arm bandit driver (explained below). Cruiser pace @ 2:06, 2:04, 2:07 for the three laps. Was shocked to see the tire pressures go up to 43-44 lbs in 4 laps. Full tread 235/275 RA1s with about 150 miles on them now.

Thanks to Dave @ NCRC for giving me a pass into the open group so I could give him a ride. (I didn't bring the SM up to race because of the ongoing left elbow whatever that is going on. Just those 5 laps total, even with the 993 having power steering, got it irritated for the rest of the day. Glad I didn't try to race.) Also got to meet Carlos (not sure of his handle here) of the 996 GT3 guys who was out doing the races with his new-to-him Stohr DSR. Steep learning curve for him, but I'll bet he'll say it's worth it!
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

i see that mike is there.
carlos =karlooz.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice to see Mahler9th get his car out there on the track again.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a ton of fun..... Its great catching and passing the bigger HP cars.

What dash do you have in your car?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AIM Pista. Surprised you could see it! Forgot to bring the transponder up (was in the trunk of the SM at the shop), so no data. I only wanted to roll out for ~5 laps, so the 3-4-5 seconds off pace in traffic was hard enough to push with the 200 lb passenger ballast. Which we know doesn't really mean Jack. Or does +/- 50HP...........

What becomes absolutely shocking is life in The Middle. By that I mean the groups between the ones I usually hang out--students, where I'm instructing, and open passing, where I'll run absent being in a race. That's where we put Scott as a "student." And where I've not really been in years. (Remember he's got about 2K laps up there on two wheels.) The lines, if you can call them that, and the inconsistency are frankly frightening. I cannot understand AT ALL what the rush to "solo" is. We're more than willing to help any who ask, to the point of being overworked. I'm not saying these guys are at risk of crashing, they're going too slow for the most part. But just aimlessly driving around, reinforcing horrible habits, I kinda wonder what the point is.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I could see the shift light flashing.....

I think that life in the middle is one where people are put there well before they should be, its a factor of the instructors signing off too early or the organizers are trying to balance out the numbers and move people up too early, or that the student believes he is the next Schumacher and twists the Instructors arm to move them.

I would say they aren't at the risk of crashing themselves, however they are a hazard to others on the track. Sometimes these slower, offline drivers can catch out the faster cars by just doing or being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Causing someone to overreact and have an off. I have seen this a number of times, and can end up not pretty at all.....

Quick Reply: Spot the Fake (+ cruiser laps @ Thunderhill)