Sponsored by:

OT: Need a full size SUV (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Agreed - some people are wound too tight.
Stupid comments get me wound tight.

Everyone else seemed to respond to my comment with responses that I can't and wont fault. I posted my thoughts in a civil manner, and didn't make an assessment of anyone's personal state or attributes.

The other day I popped on and saw at least 5 or 6 "OT" threads on the front page-this was on my mind when I posted last night.

Having said all of this, I would post on any OT thread by CROME-cheap entertainment for sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default hmmm, not 1 post for the Cayenne?

What's up with that?
Cayenne kicks butt on every suv mentioned so far.
Is this not a Porsche forum?
Our cayenneS goes anywhere in any weather, tows boats, car trailers and anything else I ask of it.
we get 18-20 mpg and it really does handle like a Porsche should.
Reliability has been excellent.
All this plus its probably the safest ride around.
There is no substitute

Last edited by s4for5; 03-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Steen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As nice as a Cayenne is, it's not a "full size" SUV by any stretch. I have a Land Cruiser and don't consider that full size by today's standards either. Maybe when it was new, but not today. Probably why you don't see it mentioned.

The new Sequoia's are behemoth's now... something to consider.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I test drove a new Sequoia and was impressed with the incredible power. I hated that the rear cargo area (seats folded) was less than the first gen Sequoias, a deal-killer for all of the stuff I carry to the track. Power folding rear seats seem like total overkill and too much weight, but I guess that's what the market wants.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
exactly...noobs, the 993 forum fyi, is like no other on rennlist - we here are like one big happy family, and feel more comfortable speaking of general OT somewhat related stuff here than going over to the main OT forum. We thrust our brethren input.........okkkkkkkkkkkkay.
Indeed.
Besides, who better to ask OT questions then a 993 owner group? After all, we know 993 owners have impecable taste and know whats good and whats not..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife drives a 2008 Suburban. It's kinda like a 993 in a sense...when you spend time in it...it's very obvious that they have fine tuned almost all aspects of it over the years. There is almost nothing that you will look at or use and say "I wish they would have done it differently". I really like that about the Suburban...and highly recommend it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Stupid comments get me wound tight.

Everyone else seemed to respond to my comment with responses that I can't and wont fault. I posted my thoughts in a civil manner, and didn't make an assessment of anyone's personal state or attributes.

The other day I popped on and saw at least 5 or 6 "OT" threads on the front page-this was on my mind when I posted last night.

Having said all of this, I would post on any OT thread by CROME-cheap entertainment for sure.
My comment wasn't directed towards you....but some people are definitely wound too tight. Personally, I get wound too tight when I see people being the internet police....but that's just me.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you're tow or go offroad, I don't see the point of a full size SUV. How often are you carrying 7 people? I'm pretty sure that there are AWD mini vans to deal with snow.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I test drove a new Sequoia and was impressed with the incredible power. I hated that the rear cargo area (seats folded) was less than the first gen Sequoias, a deal-killer for all of the stuff I carry to the track. Power folding rear seats seem like total overkill and too much weight, but I guess that's what the market wants.
+1
The first gen. Sequoia is quite spacious. Fits a ton of stuff in the trunk, plus seating for 8 if you need it.
Very capable in the snow with its 4wd mode.
The new Sequoia is even bigger on the outside, but the trunk is definitely smaller due to the power folding seats in the back that you can't take out.
I personally would like to see a BMW X5 that is bigger than the current model and has a true 3rd row. Kind of like the MB GL-model.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by s4for5
What's up with that?
Cayenne kicks butt on every suv mentioned so far.
Is this not a Porsche forum?
Our cayenneS goes anywhere in any weather, tows boats, car trailers and anything else I ask of it.
we get 18-20 mpg and it really does handle like a Porsche should.
Reliability has been excellent.
All this plus its probably the safest ride around.
There is no substitute
^^^^^^^ This.

I have an '06 CS and absolutely hands-down, best car I've ever owned (and I've had every car under the sun). Love that car man. Great daily driver (feels like a sports car, insane brakes), great utility vehicle (tows my Trailex enclosed with my 993 race car like it wasn't even there)... not a single mechanical issue on the car since I purchased it in the spring of 2009 (and I got an awesome CPO good through 2013). Believe it or not, I can get two car seats and a booster seat in the back (three daughters under 4 years old) and a 90 Lb dog in back... gear goes up on a Thule rack when we take off for a weekend... you can't go wrong with this car (unless you absolutely, positively can't live without a third row).
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Fünfer
Kind of like the MB GL-model.
I just bought a 09 GL 320 Blutec for my wife. Took it on a 100 mile round trip on Friday to the airport and avg 28 mpg at around avg speed of 50 mph. It gets just as good mileage as my BMW and better than the Pcar.

I would not buy a 07 but an 08 or newer with Mercedes CPO warranty up to 7 yrs or 100K miles from original service date can be had around mid $40K.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

My wife and spent 1 full year at auto shows and dealer lots test driving FULL size SUVs looking for the best overall value/performance SUV......we also have have a 2006 4Runner, a 2002 X5 BMW, and a 2005 Lexus GX 470.........all mid sized and we needed more room....3 dogs and us...

We selected a 2008 QX 56 due to several factors that stood out: also no issues in 32,000 miles - ABSOLUTELY NONE

Fit and Finish - inside and out - quality materials used - Lexus LX large SUV model is $30,000 more and has less attributes overall, i.e. third row seats need to be removed for total cargo space in the back

Reliability of the engine and 4 wheel drive train and overall electronics - Japanese - smooth quiet ride on trips and handles road imperfections brilliantly...

Enormous space in the back and still being able to seat 4-5 adult passengers and 7-8 with the third row of seats......electric switch for the third row seats that lay flat and electric tailgate switches.....

The leather seating is first class, luxury items - heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel, etc...remote doors, memory steering wheel/egress function, etc., etc.

Lots of cargo space with relatively low entry and compartment places for things

The navigation system is so easy to use and hard drive based.....voice activation commands, etc.

TV system for second row of passengers

Nice radio........CD player that records CDs and stores after first time they are played

BIG sunroof....

V8 power that gets 17.0+ on highway trips and 15.5 around town......great towing capacity.....

Bigger in dimensions in my estimation than new style Sequoia and standard sized Escalade or Expedition

Holds its value better than American SUVs which are initially priced high, and discounted heavily and then drop like a rock.....bought mine for $ 52K (list was $ 57) 4 years ago in 2007 and could get $ 36-38K trade-in on a new QX...per investigation last month on new QX....

One of the best cars/vehicles I have ever owned in 40 years of driving........

The German SUVs, i.e. Audi, Porsche, VW are smaller and also more costly to maintain due to poor reliability......test drove numerous Cayennes, but their track record for reliability is not so hot to be kind.......I have my sports cars to track and carve around corners, etc...

Only negatives on the QX were the pronounced engine noise upon hard acceleration....it is pretty fast for a heavy vehicle, mid-7's.........brakes are not Porsche like, but good enough for the type of vehicle.....2011 has upgraded brakes.....

The pricing on the used ones at around $ 30-35k for a 07-09 QX are a deal compared to a new 2011 QX which retails near $70K, with its new styling and upgraded engine/overall luxury, i.e. 80 more horsepower - built on Nissan Patrol chassis - top SUV chassis for Nissan.....

Every owner I have spoken with, LOVES the vehicle............

You can also buy a custom QX tent that affixes to the rear of the vehicle for camping!!

Last edited by abiazis; 03-07-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adds
Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I checked out the new Ford Explorer. It seems a little bigger than the old one, and it looks pretty nice.

I might be something to check out.
--Joe
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know if I can weigh in with an XC-90, but we love ours. 3rd row, DVD's in the seat, comfy...Bought with 23k on it for half of list and at 84k now. Been a good car. On snow tires it's unstoppable. It will haul plywood witht the seats down. The AWD system is among the best out there. We plan to keep it till it quits.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Don't know if I can weigh in with an XC-90, but we love ours. 3rd row, DVD's in the seat, comfy...Bought with 23k on it for half of list and at 84k now. Been a good car. On snow tires it's unstoppable. It will haul plywood witht the seats down. The AWD system is among the best out there. We plan to keep it till it quits.
^^^^^^ this too.

Wife drives the XC90... bulletproof, lot's of space... third row if you absolutely need it (but tough to access). Great car... but not sexy.

Quick Reply: OT: Need a full size SUV (I think)