Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Need a full size SUV (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Need a full size SUV (I think)

Ok here is my dilema or question.

As soom of you know I am looking to trade/sell my 08 Ridgeline for a Civic (Camry, etc.) for work, with the gas prices I think it makes sense for me to do this now. My wife has an Odyssey and I am looking to trade/sell her as well to get a full size SUV, I know many are asking WTF. We bought a second house in the Poconos and need an SUV (prefrebly a full size) during the winter months. So we figured since she really doesn't drive much except for dropping the kids off to school or going to the supermarket she doesn't really drive much so we figured a full size SUV would be fine (we can also use my car for local weekend running around). I dont want to spend too much, actually would like to be as close to flat as possible.

I am looking at a 2006 Denali XL with 11k miles (GM cettified) or a 2007 Infiniti QX56 with 32k miles (Infiniti certified), I did look at the newer model Tahoe and Denali and wondering if it's worth the extra $$.

So what do you guys think the 06 Denali, the 07 QX56 or should I cough up more money and get a newer Denali ot Tahoe.

Sorry for the long winded message, but thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM
sds
Advanced

Really no offence....but I think this is a 993 forum!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

You listed it as OT. I think thats ok. Check on the infiniti reliability. First few years of the big nissan trucks had some fairly major issues. The yukon denali XL seems like a fine choice. Im not a big fan of the denali (who needs AWD - ALL the time) - so i would look at regular yukon xl's or suburbans that are optioned up. At least you have the choice of running in 2wd....
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

SUV = Toyota Land Cruiser!!..
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I've had my Aramda (little brother to the QX56) since 05 and love it. It is well made and has given us virtually no problems.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

As 177 said, the OP listed the thread title as "OT", so that's "OKAY" (or maybe "OTAY" as Eddie Murphy would say when he was doing Buckwheat).

Anyway, I think your money is better spent on the Infiniti in terms of reliability. Before I bought my '07 Sequoia, I looked at new Suburbans and Yukons but could not get over the massive depreciation hit. Yeah, I know you're thinking of a used one but still. The Yukon's reliability record is fairly terrible, too.

If I were you, I'd wait until mid summer or later to buy a big SUV. If gas prices reach or exceed what we saw in 2008, you will be able to buy these beasts for a darn near a song. I picked up the 2007 Sequoia in '08 for $28,500. It had 9,000 miles on it and originally stickered for about $45,000. I watched it when it was priced at $36,000 and saw it drop over several months to $30,000 whereupon I pulled the trigger after getting the dealership down another $1,500. Three years later, the truck has a KBB value of $33,800 in good condition. A very lucky buy for me.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I've got a 2003 Toyota Forerunner SR5 for sale. It's high mileage (108xxx). We're asking $11,500.

Shameless plug!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I looked at new Suburbans and Yukons but could not get over the massive depreciation hit.
OT, so all is good.... One of my daughters bought a used '07 Suburban LX-3 last year. It was loaded with 50,000 mile. She paid $26,000 for it. I would guess this was just south of $60,000 new.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sds
Really no offence....but I think this is a 993 forum!
I'm sorry, but I agree with this. There are a lot of threads of late that start out with the letters OT. I'm not sure that makes it OK, as there is an OT section. If all of the many users here took the liberty of doing this, it would be way out of hand. JMHO.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
AGC
Racer

First would like to thank all for your feedback/suggestion.

As for the number of post that starts with "OT...", a lot of us are on this forum multiple times a day and over the years have become friends with many members (some that we have never even met), and it's natural to start posting question about other things going on in our lives beside 993. I know there are other sections in this forum to post those questions, but I think the 993 forum is different we tend to talk about a lot of misc. stuff such as family/kids/marriage, home purchases, dog purchases, daily drivers, etc. and I actually think its good thing because many of us have gone through or are going through the same things and wouldn't mind giving advice or suggestions when we can. If members feel that strongly about these types of topics being discussed in the 993 section, I can always ask to move this thread to the OT section of the forum.

Thanks again
Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

It all depends how long you plan on keeping the SUV......

The longer you plan to keep, then newer the model....

The Denali is a great buy new or used.

I recommend a 2006+ Range Rover and keep it for a long time..... classic and practical.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 PM
SeaJeff
Instructor

We picked up a 2009 Yukon Denali new for our drives across the mountains in the summer and winter. It's quite spacious inside. We got the captains chairs in the back and the kids love it. Gives them each enough space to not drive the other crazy. (Although that does happen, still.) Built in DVD, nav, power lift gate, etc. so lots of convenience. Although doing it again I'd save the $1000 and get a few ipads for the kids for entertainment.

The AWD works well for long-trip snow-highway driving. Of course would not off-road with it, but that's not really what it's designed for. (Not counting drives down gravel/dirt tracks to fishing streams.)

We took it across the mountains 4-5 times in really bad weather (lots of snow/ice) and it was stable and capable. The 6 speed auto transmission and 6.2L motor are well matched and again, makes a super trip vehicle.

Surprising to me, though, as large as the truck is on the outside, it's interior is smaller than our minivan and I'm guessing other SUV's in its class. If you really need the space, go for the XL but I didn't want that large of a vehicle (and I was always a fan of the Tahoe/Yukon size- It reminded me of a bulldog- very thick looking.) But it fits all the stuff for 95% of our trips so not too big of a worry.

I'd buy one again.

Oh, for reliablity issues, we had our power lift tail-gate go out once- that's it so far. (knocks on wood.)

Hope this helps-
-Jeff
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AGC
As for the number of post that starts with "OT...", a lot of us are on this forum multiple times a day and over the years have become friends with many members (some that we have never even met), and it's natural to start posting question about other things going on in our lives beside 993. I know there are other sections in this forum to post those questions, but I think the 993 forum is different we tend to talk about a lot of misc. stuff such as family/kids/marriage, home purchases, dog purchases, daily drivers, etc. and I actually think its good thing because many of us have gone through or are going through the same things and wouldn't mind giving advice or suggestions when we can. If members feel that strongly about these types of topics being discussed in the 993 section, I can always ask to move this thread to the OT section of the forum.
+993.

I have closer relationships here than I do in OT, so I sometimes post OT stuff on the 993 board because I know you guys (and gals) better. You don't have to click on the thread if it says OT.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed - some people are wound too tight.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+993.

I have closer relationships here than I do in OT, so I sometimes post OT stuff on the 993 board because I know you guys (and gals) better. You don't have to click on the thread if it says OT.
exactly...noobs, the 993 forum fyi, is like no other on rennlist - we here are like one big happy family, and feel more comfortable speaking of general OT somewhat related stuff here than going over to the main OT forum. We thrust our brethren input.........okkkkkkkkkkkkay.

Quick Reply: OT: Need a full size SUV (I think)